Biggest snub from NHL Top 10 list (2018)

Who is the biggest snub from the NHL top 10 players list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I still think it's stupid to have Matthews here

Guy is great and hopefully poised to have a fantastic season. I don't think even the worst of the Leaf haters will deny the possibility that Matthews will belong to such a list very soon - but the point is he doesn't yet. He missed too much time last year (with again poor playoffs). He's not earned top 10 yet.

Hopefully at end of this year he does.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
A ton better offensive season than who?? No one in the league had a ton better offensive season than Giroux... he scored 102 points, 2nd in the league, 6 away from McDavid. What are you talking about?

All facts and tangible stats say Giroux is and has always been better offensively.

Your opinion and prediction says mckinnon will start being better offensively starting this year.

Again, giroux faces tougher competition and contributes more to his own end and still outscores Nate every year, and likely will this year too.

[mod]

Nah, MacKinnon was better offensively last year. [mod]

He has more impact on a given game offensively on average. That's just includes points, let alone his ability to take over a game. It is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
gotta be a body of work no? Matthews has been a 40g player and a ppg+ player in his two seasons.
Mackinnon had a bunch of 20g/50-60pts ish seasons before 1 massive year

you dismiss rookie seasons pretty easily but how about the other three 53pts and under?

full season pace

AM34: 43g/76pts
NM : 25g/66pts

i know who im taking
Like I said, it depends how you frame the question if it was top 10 players last year (meaning we isolate last season) what Mackinnon did pre 2017 is irrelevant. He finished last year with 97 pts in 74 gp and 2nd in Hart voting. If you want to say a top player over the course of their career, it's a different discussion. But just isolating 2017-2018 Mack was definitely a top 10 player. Matthews also hasn't been a ppg in two seasons, he was one last year. If you want to bring in 2 seasons worth Marchand, Backstrom, Scheifele, Giroux, Burns, Panarin, Seguin, Wheeler deserve some consideration

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

He has more impact on a given game offensively on average. That's just includes points, let alone his ability to take over a game. It is what it is.

All you do is say he did better. You’re not great at debating the point.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
All you do is say he did better. You’re not great at debating the point.
I'm not really debating when the people I'm talking to don't care to consider other opinions either way, already.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Nah, MacKinnon was better offensively last year.

The bolded is statistically inaccurate. Giroux was involved in a higher percentage of points compared to MacKinnon. It's extremely close but you're technically wrong.

Reactions: Sasso09

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
The bolded is statistically inaccurate. Giroux was involved in a higher percentage of points compared to MacKinnon. It's extremely close but you're technically wrong.
Nope. Not in the slightest. You are objectively, in every way, wrong. Average is a word. And it means a ton, since it means any given game, he has the better chance of making the bigger impact. And that's JUST points.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Nope. Not in the slightest. You are objectively, in every way, wrong. Average is a word. And it means a ton, since it means any given game, he has the better chance of making the bigger impact. And that's JUST points.
Yes, on average, MacKinnon contributed to a lower percentage of his team's goals. Please explain how I'm wrong. I'm only using last season's numbers which actually is an advantage to MacKinnon since he scored 30+ points more than his previous career high.

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Yes, on average, MacKinnon contributed to a lower percentage of his team's goals. Please explain how I'm wrong. I'm only using last season's numbers which actually is an advantage to MacKinnon since he scored 30+ points more than his previous career high.
Yes, on average MacKinnon contributed to more goals per game than Giroux did. This is fact.

lol, what are you trying to do?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yes, on average MacKinnon contributed to more goals per game than Giroux did. This is fact.

lol, what are you trying to do?

MacKinnon had 97 points in 74 games. In those 74 games his team scored 240 goals. He contributed to 40.4% of his team's goals.

Giroux had 102 points in 82 games. In those games his team scored 251 goals. He contributed to 40.6% of his team's goals.

Again, please explain how I'm wrong. Maybe I am but simply saying I'm wrong without providing any data isn't very constructive.

Reactions: Sasso09

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
MacKinnon had 97 points in 74 games. In those 74 games his team scored 240 goals. He contributed to 40.4% of his team's goals.

Giroux had 102 points in 82 games. In those games his team scored 251 goals. He contributed to 40.6% of his team's goals.

Again, please explain how I'm wrong. Maybe I am but simply saying I'm wrong without providing any data isn't very constructive.
So basically you’re playing semantics

Neat.

MacKinnon contributed to more goals per game than Giroux. Fact.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
So basically you’re playing semantics

Neat.

MacKinnon contributed to more goals per game than Giroux. Fact.
Not semantics at all. You said "He has more impact on a given game offensively on average". The key word is "Impact". I wouldn't have disagreed had you said "MacKinnon scores more points per game on average" but when you bring up the impact that those points have on each game you have to factor in how many goals each team scored. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that Matthews scoring 2 goals in the Leafs 3-2 win over Montreal had more of an impact than Kuznetsov scoring 2 goals in Washington's 7-0 win over Boston. Except you I guess.

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Not semantics at all. You said "He has more impact on a given game offensively on average". The key word is "Impact". I wouldn't have disagreed had you said "MacKinnon scores more points per game on average" but when you bring up the impact that those points have on each game you have to factor in how many goals each team scored. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that Matthews scoring 2 goals in the Leafs 3-2 win over Montreal had more of an impact than Kuznetsov scoring 2 goals in Washington's 7-0 win over Boston. Except you I guess.
Not at all. That was, one, "just for points" (ignoring how he controls the flow of the game and the amount of GWGs he had).

And even then, yes, a goal is just as impactful as another. A 4-1 lead changes the game a bunch from a 3-1 lead, just like a 3-1 lead changes from a 2-1 lead. Unless you want to go and analyze each point for how close the games were for each... (I know you don't, and are just trying to use a flawed stat that doesn't show as much insight as you claim). Interesting, GWG is one of the few actual statistics to track impact on an individual game.

MacKinnon is the better offensive player.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

You have nothing tangible... you keep repeating "MacKinnon is better" then have zero tangible proof. Then go on to cite that he "He has more impact on a given game offensively on average. That's just includes points," that's a flat out lie, Giroux contributed to a larger percent of his team's goals than any player in the league not named McDavid.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I'm not really debating when the people I'm talking to don't care to consider other opinions either way, already.
"Other options" is you just repeating "because I said so"

Provide tangible evidence and maybe someone will take you seriously.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Kopitar not being on any top 10 list after last season is just ridiculous. The guy has never gotten the respect he deserves. While on the other hand Matthews gets on for what he “could have done”, basically giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I would have even have Kopitar over Doughty or Hedman.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Kopitar not being on any top 10 list after last season is just ridiculous. The guy has never gotten the respect he deserves. While on the other hand Matthews gets on for what he “could have done”, basically giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I would have even have Kopitar over Doughty or Hedman.
Agree. Kopitar is clearly top 10

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Agree. Kopitar is clearly top 10
It’s truly bizarre the way they make these list. I mean.... EK, Matthews, and Hedman definitely were not top 10 talents last season. Doughty and Ovi are even arguable, and while Crosby had an “off year”, he gets his grace period....yet Kopitar and MacKinnon are snubbed even though they were clearly top 10 players.

The criteria is so inconsistent, it’s honestly amazing how so many actually take these lists seriously.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
It’s truly bizarre the way they make these list. I mean.... EK, Matthews, and Hedman definitely were not top 10 talents last season. Doughty and Ovi are even arguable, and while Crosby had an “off year”, he gets his grace period....yet Kopitar and MacKinnon are snubbed even though they were clearly top 10 players.

The criteria is so inconsistent, it’s honestly amazing how so many actually take these lists seriously.
I disagree on Hedman, I think he was the best defenseman in the NHL, better than Doughty.

Top 10 from last season IMO

McDavid
Giroux
Crosby
Kucherov
Hedman
Kopitar
Malkin
Karlsson
Doughty
MacKinnon

My top 10 list in general would be

McDavid
Crosby
Giroux
Malkin
Kucherov
Kopitar
Karlsson
Hedman
Doughty
Kane

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I disagree on Hedman, I think he was the best defenseman in the NHL, better than Doughty.

Top 10 from last season IMO

McDavid
Giroux
Crosby
Kucherov
Hedman
Kopitar
Malkin
Karlsson
Doughty
MacKinnon

My top 10 list in general would be

McDavid
Crosby
Giroux
Malkin
Kucherov
Kopitar
Karlsson
Hedman
Doughty
Kane
With Hedman, I was saying he arguably isn’t a top 10 player this past year.

No MacKinnon? Why?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If we are making a list, it's probably best to define how the list is categorizing talent.

Each of us have our own bias' to either our favourite players, a position preference or recency bias.

An example of recency bias would be favouring Kopitar and his 90 point season (which was stellar) forgetting the year prior he had 52 points. I'm basically left to guess how good he is.

Bergeron was PPG and won the selke; Giroux scored 100 points, and Mackinnon put up nearly a 100 points. Are we using 1 year as the standard?

For me; I think 2 full seasons is fair.

I also think we need to use our judgement to try estimate future indications of success. Maybe it's likely Matthews (20) will improve while Bergeron (33) may possibly worsen or go back to career norms (60 points?)

Two seasons is enough for me to say it's not a 1 off.

The real question we have to ask; where does Ovechkin and Crosby fit? I think Sidney is deserving; however he hasn't scored at least 90 points since 2013... There is no questioning he is still a dominant elite # 1 C; but Malkin has passed him imo.

Here is my list; using 2 years as the frame work

1. McDavid - 100 + point center.
2. Malkin - 100 point center.
3. Crosby - 95 point center?
4. Doughty -Best d-man in the league imo.
5. Kucherov - 90-100 point winger.
6. Kopitar - 75-80 point C? Elite D.
7. Hedman - Better overall then EK imo.
8. Mackinnon - 90-100 point C?
9. Giroux - 90-100 point winger?
10. Matthews - 80-85 point C? Elite D.

Bergeron - 65 point C.
Barkov - 80 point C.
Kane - 80-90 point winger.
Ovechkin - 80 point winger.
Karlsson - 70 point D.

I'm pretty content with my choices my 1-5. 6-10 can be quite interchangeable. I have bias against Karlsson because I don't think he's as good defensively as some people think. I'm also using my judgement that the data and performances I've seen from Matthews suggests he's better then Kane, Ovie (wingers.)

Last edited:

kegluu

Jan 30, 2016
Matthews now has the most ES goals since he entered the league.
1 more than McDavid, in 19 less games.

0.5241 per game. moves him ahead of stamkos in goals/gm into 2nd among active players behind ONLY ovechkin.
200 ft game, great on draws, clutch player

but yeah he isn't top 10 because he is a leaf!

No, he is not TOP 10 player right now because he was around 20th in PPG last year. So on this list he jumped around 15 forwards better in actual production including ones having 20-30% better PPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad