Biggest snub from NHL Top 10 list (2018)

Who is the biggest snub from the NHL top 10 players list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think you're genuine and you really don't see the excuses you come up for leafs players

"Marner had a better rookie season and had a better season after"
*ignores the 18 year old comment*
And then goes on to ignore how MacKinnon got better, but i guess that only applies to marner because Matthews had a better rookie season than MacKinnon(by 6 points)

MacKinnon was a lot better than matthews last year where it wasn't even close
So nomitndoesnt make sense to.put Matthew ahead of MacKinnon
Maybe if it was close, but it wasn't
As a rookie Matthews also had 16 more goals than MacKinnon did, so it's more than just the 6 more total points he also happened to get.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
As a rookie Matthews also had 16 more goals than MacKinnon did, so it's more than just the 6 more total points he also happened to get.

It was 6 points
MacKinnon score 97 points last season tho
Over 30 more than Matthews and MacKinnon didn't play full season either

But let's keep talking about how Matthews scored 6 more points a rookie which was still less than 70

I'm telling you you're being hypocritical and contradicting, but here you are still ignoring your bias

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Giroux is an odd duck. Great season last year no doubt, but the two years before were incredibly disappointing. Is he just riding a ridiculous PDO-like wave or is he now a 90+ point player after three seasons of sub PPG rates?

I can see a lot of buyer beware with a 30 year old putting up a season that's so far out of line with what you came to expect his baseline to be.

I know this is going to blow people's minds, but in the seasons Giroux put up 67 and 58, Tavares only put up 70 and 66 (and hell, Ovechkin only had 71 and 69). So during Giroux's incredible downturn Tavares outscored him by a whopping 11 points combined (to be fair, Giroux played 5 more games in that stretch). The season before that was the first time in their careers that Tavares was at/over a PPG and Giroux wasn't.

I don't know what that does for a top 10 ranking, but I'm just kind of amazed at the way people give Tavares a pass on some down seasons but not Giroux. There's a lot of factors at play (linemates, usage, health) and Tavares is 2 years younger, but JT also saw 3 seasons of declining production before bouncing back nicely last year.

Giroux knocking 102 a year after 58 is definitely abnormal, and I'd have some apprehension saying he'll repeat triple digits or close to it. But if Tavares is in this poll, it's laughable to me that Giroux isn't. Lower valleys, higher peaks, and in the end, pretty similar production and impact on a team.

Is it the "5"? I feel like if it's 66 and 64, no one really bats an eye...but the second it dips below 60 it's like a death knell to some folks.

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Biggest snub? Scheifele. Scores 14 goals and 21 points in 17 PO games when scoring is most important and proved that when it counts he shows up. My guess is he will be a 40+ goal scorer this season and a 90+ point producer. This assumes he stays healthy. Scheifele has now reached another gear and his peak years as one of the NHL's best player has arrived.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Everyone there should be higher than Matthews except Tavares but the biggest snub was probably Kopitar(more consistent) and then Mackinnon as a second to that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Giroux is an odd duck. Great season last year no doubt, but the two years before were incredibly disappointing. Is he just riding a ridiculous PDO-like wave or is he now a 90+ point player after three seasons of sub PPG rates?

I can see a lot of buyer beware with a 30 year old putting up a season that's so far out of line with what you came to expect his baseline to be.
maybe they arent ignoring his 14g/58pt/-15 season the year before

because that doesnt even put him in the top 100. monster last year obviously, but he needs to put up 90+ again to get in the top 10 convo
Injuries hurt Giroux. Got hurt bad two years ago and it carried into following year. Flyers fans know that at least, but I'm sure many won't believe it. His track record before that was pretty good and it's not shocking to us that Giroux had another monster season.

Just surprised that a guy who has put up big numbers and was in the running for MVP last year isn't even in the Top 10, or the additional 6-8 names suggested in this poll.

We're usually such a "what have you done for me lately" group yet according to this thread, Taylor Hall is top 10 but Giroux doesn't get to be despite being right in line with him in an MVP season.

Taylor Hall pts last 3 seasons:

Claude Giroux pts last 3 seasons:

G has been a top tier player for a while (not the best, or necessarily top 5) but considering his monster season last year, I think it's a disservice to not even mention the guy when a dude like Taylor Hall gets a slot.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
how can a guy be the best scorer at ES by a lot (tied with mcdavid in 20 less games), be good in his own end, be good on the dot...and not be top 10?

Auston’s reputation in his own end in Toronto fascinates me. I guess years of Bozak and Kadri messes up expectations for what good is. He, like Tavares, is acceptable in his own end. Kadri isn’t good but scores and irritates enough.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Kopitar, Bergeron, MacKinnon, Tavares, Giroux, and Barkov all deserve to be in ahead of Matthews.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
If you wanna use the goals argument then I will use the playoffs argument when Mackinnon dominated in the playoffs with 10pts in 7 games.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I dont think there are any snubs
I think the top 9 is perfect. Less high on Hall at 9 but he did just win a hart so its fine.

10 is wide open. The biggest issue is Matthews shouldnt be at 10. In terms of who should? Well a lot of options. If giving high consideration to just last year Mack is there. Could also be Kopitar or a few others.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Matthews shouldn’t be here until he puts up 80+ actual points. Kopitar or MacKinnon deserve that last spot and, realistically, the one before it. I don’t think many people take Hall over those two for next season.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Stunned I have to be the first to mention this guy: Claude Giroux

It’s stunning that MacKinnon has had one great season and leads this poll but Giroux finishes with 102 points and is neither in the top ten nor even in the discussion for who should be!

It’s like the entire world has gone mad.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

He’s one of the top scorers in the league in the past decade, and it’s very easy to prove his decline years were down to sheer injury alone. Now he’s fit, and he gets 102 points.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Giroux. Guy put up 102 points and not only is he not in the top 10, he's not even in the top 7 snub list?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Voted Kopitar.

But is there really a "snub" on a top 10 list? It's a pretty short list. There's going to be a lot of guys left off.

It's not like the left Crosby off, or something. That would be a "snub."

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Matthews with his career-high of 69 points is now top-10 player? Seems legit.

He's on his way there but right now he doesn't crack the top-20. He shouldn't even be in the conversation for top-10 spot.

Reactions: Haatley

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Why? Hischier's rookie season as an 18 yr old was more impressive than Marner who didn't even make the NHL at 18.

So I don't see why Marner should be ahead of Hischier.
So Hischier > Barzal too then by that logic?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I know last season MacKinnon had better stats than Matthews, however Matthews first 2 seasons was better than MacKinnon's first 4 seasons. So I don't see why he should be above Matthews.
Because this isnt a list of who will be better when they are the same age or something... This is a list of the best players right now. Age, potential etc dont mean shit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad