Biggest snub from NHL Top 10 list (2018)

Who is the biggest snub from the NHL top 10 players list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I know last season MacKinnon had better stats than Matthews, however Matthews first 2 seasons was better than MacKinnon's first 4 seasons. So I don't see why he should be above Matthews.
I'd say because comparing "first two seasons" to "first four seasons" means quite literally nothing here.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Marner improved his stats in his second season compared to his rookie season and he also lead the Leafs in scoring. He also had a better rookie season statically compared to Hischier's rookie season.
But your reasoning for taking Matthews over Mackinnon was based on Mack's rookie season... the exact same thing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But your reasoning for taking Matthews over Mackinnon was based on Mack's rookie season... the exact same thing.
I also said up until last season Matthews had a better first two seasons than MacKinnon did.

Using the example of Marner and Hischier didn't work since Marner had a better rookie season than he did and he improved his stats in his second season.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Stunned I have to be the first to mention this guy: Claude Giroux

maybe they arent ignoring his 14g/58pt/-15 season the year before

because that doesnt even put him in the top 100. monster last year obviously, but he needs to put up 90+ again to get in the top 10 convo

Reactions: Strait2thecup

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I also said up until last season Matthews had a better first two seasons than MacKinnon did.

Using the example of Marner and Hischier didn't work since Marner had a better rookie season than he did and he improved his stats in his second season.

At the same age as Hischiers rookie season, Marner couldn't crack the NHL. If you are going to pick and choose your arguments so selectively, at least compare apples to apples.

Reactions: dukeofjive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At the same age as Hischiers rookie season, Marner couldn't crack the NHL. If you are going to pick and choose your arguments so selectively, at least compare apples to apples.
The last time a 1st overall pick didn't play in his Draft +1 season was when Eric Johnson was selected 1st overall. So just because Hischier played in the NHL during his Draft +1 season and Marner did not is no slight against him. Hell in Marner's Draft +1 season he only won every award in the OHL and CHL, along with a Memorial Cup where he was the MVP and MVP of the OHL playoffs. So if anything that 1 extra year of junior made him a better player today.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stunned I have to be the first to mention this guy: Claude Giroux
Giroux is an odd duck. Great season last year no doubt, but the two years before were incredibly disappointing. Is he just riding a ridiculous PDO-like wave or is he now a 90+ point player after three seasons of sub PPG rates?

I can see a lot of buyer beware with a 30 year old putting up a season that's so far out of line with what you came to expect his baseline to be.

Reactions: Critical91

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I know last season MacKinnon had better stats than Matthews, however Matthews first 2 seasons was better than MacKinnon's first 4 seasons. So I don't see why he should be above Matthews.

MacKinnon was also the #2 guy behind Duchene his first few years in Colorado. Lets also not forget the absolute abysmal years the Avs have had twice thus far in his tenure. 18 and 10 games missed respectively in both seasons he under-performed. I'm not gonna jerk you for the "leafs fan" meme that goes on, Matthews is a great player and he's young and will continue to be great and get better. You can question Macks consistency but the speed and elite vision is there and can't be argued.

Mack is 1/1 @ good seasons with the heavy workload.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
how can a guy be the best scorer at ES by a lot (tied with mcdavid in 20 less games), be good in his own end, be good on the dot...and not be top 10?

Because he's never broken 70 points. He's never played a full season, and there's players overall that are just better than him. He'll get there soon I'm sure of that, but he just isn't there quite yet.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The last time a 1st overall pick didn't play in his Draft +1 season was when Eric Johnson was selected 1st overall. So just because Hischier played in the NHL during his Draft +1 season and Marner did not is no slight against him. Hell in Marner's Draft +1 season he only won every award in the OHL and CHL, along with a Memorial Cup where he was the MVP and MVP of the OHL playoffs. So if anything that 1 extra year of junior made him a better player today.
Your agenda is absolutely embarrassing.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
On Mack, this upcoming season will answer all the questions we want to know. Is he finally fulfilling all the potential he showed in juniors and his rookie year? Can he be a top 5 player in the league consistently? Top 10? Can he carry a team? Can he be a ppg player? This is a huge season for him and more importantly the Avs future.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

What I got out of this is that 18yo Hischier> 18yo Marner.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

I think you're genuine and you really don't see the excuses you come up for leafs players

"Marner had a better rookie season and had a better season after"
*ignores the 18 year old comment*
And then goes on to ignore how MacKinnon got better, but i guess that only applies to marner because Matthews had a better rookie season than MacKinnon(by 6 points)

MacKinnon was a lot better than matthews last year where it wasn't even close
So nomitndoesnt make sense to.put Matthew ahead of MacKinnon
Maybe if it was close, but it wasn't

Matthew is the most over rated player in the league because he gets ranked ahead of players who scored 30 more points than him

Scoring ~60 points twice should be put ahead of a 97 point season in less than 82 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad