Biggest Rivalry in the NHL Currently: Bruins-Leafs, Knights-Sharks, or Caps-Pens?

Biggest rivalry in the league at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Which of these three pairs of teams would you say contains the biggest rivalry in the league at the moment?
Do you see any, or all three pairs of these teams meeting in the playoffs this year?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Cap - Pens.
Knights - Sharks have reached a level worthy of recognition though and were sitting at 0 votes.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Caps/Pens easily because of the players on their team

Knight and Sharks became one a few months ago so I'm excited

Bruins and Leafs isn't a rivalry because the Bruins have embarrassed the Leafs time and time again

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
Since the question is at the moment Sharks - Knights is easily my choice, really nasty series between them. I hope we get to see one more Caps-Pens series while they still can compete though.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Historically it's obviously Bruins-Leafs. Right now Caps-Pens have been a bigger rivalry for quite a long time and been a game most people would have preferred to watch.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As a Bruins fan I think it's Bruins/Leafs. I don't think there's anywhere near the amount of hatred on the Bruins side due to the way things have gone, but it's definitely still there.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
As a Bruins fan I think it's Bruins/Leafs. I don't think there's anywhere near the amount of hatred on the Bruins side due to the way things have gone, but it's definitely still there.

I have pre-emptive hatred because I know how awful it’s going to be when they eventually win one. I’m a Red Sox fan after all. I’ve been in their shoes. And I’m shocked my friends from New York never punched me in the face in 2004.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Cap - Pens.
Knights - Sharks have reached a level worthy of recognition though and were sitting at 0 votes.

Eh, I disagree, Sharks/Knights is off to a great start and it has good odds to be the most compelling one going forward but it doesn't deserve any votes here, even though it was probably the best series of the whole playoffs. Still has to be Caps/Pens, Leafs/Bruins are second for now but people combine the 2013 series when they're talking about the last two years too often, completely different teams, though obviously disastrous game 7s help make it a storyline.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
losing by a combined score of 12-5 in game 7s is embarrassing

routinely getting put out in the first round is embarrassing, especially when its by the same team

you guys might three-peat this season if you lose to the Bruins

The Bruins are a great team, not embarassing to lose to them. Getting eliminated in the first round is not embarassing, literally never been the higher seed. Losing to the same team two years with our core is not that embarassing, hell the Caps got over it pretty well. The game 7 performances, ya, absolutely, very embarassing.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
losing by a combined score of 12-5 in game 7s is embarrassing

routinely getting put out in the first round is embarrassing, especially when its by the same team

you guys might three-peat this season if you lose to the Bruins

I don’t think you know what a rivalry is.

Just because one team has come out on top more doesn’t mean there isn’t a rivalry.

Just ask Ottawa circa late 90s early 2000s

Either you don’t understand what it is or you were looking for a chance to take a shot at the Leafs.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I have pre-emptive hatred because I know how awful it’s going to be when they eventually win one. I’m a Red Sox fan after all. I’ve been in their shoes. And I’m shocked my friends from New York never punched me in the face in 2004.

It's one of those things where I rather not face Toronto anymore. Take our 3-0 in series against them and walk away. We have everything to lose at this point.

Jun 15, 2007
Two things make a rivalry for me

1) Success

2) Hatred

Leafs, Sharks and Knights Knights don't have Cups, so Caps-Pens wins by default.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm a Habs fan so i've not followed the Bruins/Leafs series as much as others but.....it it even a heated rivalry?

When Boston/Montreal faced off in the playoffs multiple times in the past 10-15 years, there was so much hatred and animosity and simply ego involved...I don't really notice that level of passion in the Leafs/Bruins matchups. Just because the teams have faced each other a lot, and it's gone to 7 games, doesn't necessarily make it a really heated rivalry.

I think either Boston or Leafs need to face the Habs in the playoffs a couple of times...then we'll remind you what a heated rivalry is :nod:

I voted Pens/Caps. Part of it is because i have more emotional investment in it - but part of it is also because the stakes are higher. Ovi/Crosby - also 3 years running the cup champs emerged from the winning of that 2nd round matchup, 2 president trophies, etc.

Reactions: bukwas

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm a Habs fan so i've not followed the Bruins/Leafs series as much as others but.....it it even a heated rivalry?

When Boston/Montreal faced off in the playoffs multiple times in the past 10-15 years, there was so much hatred and animosity and simply ego involved...I don't really notice that level of passion in the Leafs/Bruins matchups. Just because the teams have faced each other a lot, and it's gone to 7 games, doesn't necessarily make it a really heated rivalry.

I think either Boston or Leafs need to face the Habs in the playoffs a couple of times...then we'll remind you what a heated rivalry is :nod:

I voted Pens/Caps. Part of it is because i have more emotional investment in it - but part of it is also because the stakes are higher. Ovi/Crosby - also 3 years running the cup champs emerged from the winning of that 2nd round matchup, 2 president trophies, etc.
As a Bruins fan, no it's not the same as Boston/Montreal. First series between those two I ever saw was in 2004 and that series is unlike anything I've seen outside of the Bruins vs. Canucks series, and it's kept up that momentum all the way through. There are so many specific moments I can recall from every series they've had since then, and the outcome of each series is always unpredictable in a way.

I think what has made those series so special is that those teams always seemed to find each other in the playoffs regardless of the NHL setting them up as forced rivals like they've done with the 2 vs. 3 playoff structure that sees the Bruins play the Leafs every time.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Caps-pens have been higher stakes. Winner of that series won the cup 3 years in a row, it was the defacto cup finals.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
We're talking about current rivalries. Pens are done as contenders and Washington is getting there too.
Too early to say that. Pens have retooled this summer and i expect them to be the best they've been since 2017. Caps are still elite as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad