Biggest pay cuts?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Paul Kariya went from $10m to $1.2m in 2003-04 after the Ducks failed to give Kariya a QO.

Modano dropped from 9m to 4.5m after the 2004-05 lockout.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Vanek just went 6.5M to 2.6M for a drop of 3.9M. Not quite as much as some of the others mentioned.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Not the biggest amount but one of the biggest percentage changes was Komisarek went from 4.3m cap hit to 700k

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Brad Richards went from 9 million the year he was bought out by Rangers to 2 million with the Hawks. Actual salary, not AAV, which was a little more than 6 mil. Big drop off, but not much of a pay cut for him considering he's still getting paid by Rangers :P

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Marleau is due for a sizeable paycut, but he wasn't overpaid to begin with so it won't be as egregious as some of these.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not sure it is the biggest but Eric Lindros in his last few years. Given how much he donated to charity on his retirement he basically played the last 3 years of his career as a volunteer for the London Hospital.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
Mike Richards took a pretty significant pay cut last year when he signed with the Caps. Something like 7 million actual salary to under 1.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
The NHLPA is probably going to sniper me where I sit for saying this, but it's a bloody crime how NHL players make more and more the older and more useless they become. No way this happens in a lot of other sports. At least outside of North 'Merica.

Edit - despite these good examples to the contrary.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The NHLPA is probably going to sniper me where I sit for saying this, but it's a bloody crime how NHL players make more and more the older and more useless they become. No way this happens in a lot of other sports. At least outside of North 'Merica.

That literally never happens.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

You should go take a look at the NBA contracts signed during the summer. It's the nature of sports.

I will add however the NHL does but a lot of value in experience and pedigree rather than skill. By this I mean if you're a sizeable guy and have had even limited success (clarkson)

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I'd say the trend is going the other way in the NHL.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Seriously, show one contract that increases in cost as the years go on, for a player that has declined due to age. This literally does. Not. Happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad