Biggest One-Hit Wonders of All-Time

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That VH1 list is trash. XTC a one hit wonder? Do you not always hear King For A Day in CVS or grocery stores? Anyone who knows anything about music knows XTC.

Nu Shooz had more than one hit. I've talked about Point Of No Return here.

Ziggy Marley? Didn't he and his band have a huge hit with Make This World A Little Better in 1989/90?

I already talked about Neneh Cherry.

Phillip Bailey has been affiliated with Earth, Wind, and Fire for how long?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Using the "Big in Japan" argument against taking someone as a one-hit wonder doesn't work. One hit wonders are defined by the broader impact and influence of the song having a lasting influence on society at large. Domestic and Billboard charts alone don't define.

Billboard charts used to literally define what was a hit was. Big in Japan topped out at #8 on the UK singles chart & #1 on the US dance chart....so by any measure, that's a top 10 hit. You may not consider it a hit, but the record sales say otherwise & the band itself would probably disagree.

Seems like you're definition of a one hit wonder means that one song by a band needed to resonate culturally, where lesser songs by the same band didn't have that effect. Those are 2 different topics.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Paper Planes by M.I.A. must be one of the biggest ones from the last 20 years.

All I wanna do is pfft pfft pfft pfft....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad