Extreme - More Than Words
Jesus Jones - Right Now
Kris Kross - Jump
Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning
Modern English - I Melt With You
Madness - Our House
EMF - Unbeliveable
Del Amitri - Roll to Me.

Honourable mentions to Tom Cochrane and Limahl for being One Hit Wonders in both band and solo.
Tom Cochrane? He had a lot of hits.
Life is a Highway, Big Leagues ( a hockey song), the Untouchable One, White Hot to name a few I remember.

Reactions: Voight

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Tom Cochrane? He had a lot of hits.
Life is a Highway, Big Leagues ( a hockey song), the Untouchable One, White Hot to name a few I remember.

You actually end up proving my point that he is a one hit wonder.

"Life is a Highway" was his only solo song that placed significantly high on the charts.

He was a one hit wonder with Red Rider with "Lunatic Fringe".

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
How about some 70's/80's:
Chevy Van-Sammy Johns
Emotion-Samantha Sang
Cars-Gary Numan
Pilot Of The Airwaves-Charlie Dore

Heart And Soul-T'Paiu
Obsession-Animotion
Pop Muzik-M

And someone mentioned one album wonders: Mr. Mister-Welcome To The Real World.

My Best-Carey

T'Pau had China in your Hands as well. They are a two hit wonder.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Extreme - More Than Words
Jesus Jones - Right Now
Kris Kross - Jump
Modern English - I Melt With You
Madness - Our House
EMF - Unbeliveable
Del Amitri - Roll to Me.

Honourable mentions to Tom Cochrane and Limahl for being One Hit Wonders in both band and solo.
Madness was the go to ska band of the 80s. They had some great singles but at the very least you have to mention "House of Fun" ,"Baggy Trousers" , "One step beyond" and "It must be love". They are not a one hit wonder.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
T'Pau had China in your Hands as well. They are a two hit wonder.
They were quite popular in Europe I see. Heart And Soul was the only track that did anything in North America. Actually, I do remember hearing China In Your Hands a few times here in Canada.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The Oil are one of the biggest bands all-time in Australia. They did have a few other N.A. hits in The Dead Heart, Big Sky Mine, Forgotten Years. Another big Australian band with really one big N.A. single would be The Church with "Under The Milky Way". Anyway, two of my favorites.

Neneh Cherry-Buffalo Stance
Baltimora-Tarzan Boy
Rockwell-Somebody's Watching Me. Had enough pull to have Michael Jackson backup vocal.
Jane Child-I Don't Want To Fall In Love
Rico Suave-Some guy. Just an awful tune.
Terry Jacks-Seasons In The Sun
David Soul (Hutch from Starsky and Hutch)-Don't Give Up On Us
Bow Wow Wow-I Want Candy
Matthew Wilder-Break My Stride (I think he went on to producing some big bands)
Don Johnson (Miami Vice)-Heartbeat

Jack Wagner (General Hospital, Melrose Place)-All I Need. Lead singer of the fictional Blackie And The Riff Raff on GH. John Stamos was Blackie but was "only" the drummer. Frisco Jones (Jack Wagner) was the singer and got a real record deal from Quincey Jones.

Can anyone beat Mr. Mister "Welcome To The Real World" as a one album wonder? It hit #1. A big smash but Go On the followup stalled at #55 (good album, though).

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Mescaleroman

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You actually end up proving my point that he is a one hit wonder.

"Life is a Highway" was his only solo song that placed significantly high on the charts.

He was a one hit wonder with Red Rider with "Lunatic Fringe".
I disagree. Like many of these so called one hit wonders he had lots of big sellers in his home country. The Boy Inside the Man, the Untouchable One, Sinking Like a Sunset were also big hits in Canada. In total had 7 top 5 hits in Canada as a solo artist.
White Hot was Red Ryders biggest hit both internationally and in Canada but it’s not like it was a huge hit.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tom Cochrane is not a one hit one wonder. In the states most of Red Rider's releases were released under the name Tom Cochrane and Red Rider(due to there being several independent bands called either Red Rider or Red Ryder)

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You guys are confusing One hit with niche followings. Sure many bands have extensive music catalogues, but asides from that one hit, nobody ever heard of the other stuff, because it lacked commercial appeal, or it just plainly sucked.

Reactions: Skjeikspeare

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You guys are confusing One hit with niche followings. Sure many bands have extensive music catalogues, but asides from that one hit, nobody ever heard of the other stuff, because it lacked commercial appeal, or it just plainly sucked.
In some cases yes. But in other cases the performer had lots of hits in their home country so if you lived there you heard them played all the time and still do.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Oil are one of the biggest bands all-time in Australia. They did have a few other N.A. hits in The Dead Heart, Big Sky Mine, Forgotten Years. Another big Australian band with really one big N.A. single would be The Church with "Under The Milky Way". Anyway, two of my favorites.

Neneh Cherry-Buffalo Stance
Baltimora-Tarzan Boy
Rockwell-Somebody's Watching Me. Had enough pull to have Michael Jackson backup vocal.
Jane Child-I Don't Want To Fall In Love
Rico Suave-Some guy. Just an awful tune.
Terry Jacks-Seasons In The Sun
David Soul (Hutch from Starsky and Hutch)-Don't Give Up On Us
Bow Wow Wow-I Want Candy
Matthew Wilder-Break My Stride (I think he went on to producing some big bands)
Don Johnson (Miami Vice)-Heartbeat

Jack Wagner (General Hospital, Melrose Place)-All I Need. Lead singer of the fictional Blackie And The Riff Raff on GH. John Stamos was Blackie but was "only" the drummer. Frisco Jones (Jack Wagner) was the singer and got a real record deal from Quincey Jones.

Can anyone beat Mr. Mister "Welcome To The Real World" as a one album wonder? It hit #1. A big smash but Go On the followup stalled at #55 (good album, though).

My Best-Carey

Terry Jacks is a good one. Seasons in the Sun was a massive hit and his only big solo hit. He had a lot of success with his then wife Susan Jacks in the Poppy Family with hits like Which Way you Going Billy, That’s Where I Went Wrong and Evil Grows.

Last edited:
Reactions: frisco

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Let me put a twist on this statement.

What is the definition of a hit? number 1, cracking the top 10, 20,30, 40? Only in the US or UK or Canada?

A case could be made that ACDC is a one hit wonder, and they are one of the biggest bands of all time (love em or hate em)

How are you defining a hit? Most of the comebacks to the claims artists X is a one hit wonder brings up a second song that cracked the top 100 or 40

Also comes down to what chart you are using

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
ACDC hot 100 from billboard

AC/DC | Billboard

and that shows the problem if you use the hot 100-- Thunderstruck is missing but it only peaked at number 5 on some of the US charts

But I think many here are using Billboard Hot 100 to decide who is a one hit wonder whether they realize it or not

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
@frisco Neneh Cherry had more hits. Man Child and Buddy X (the later was MTV during the 1992-93 sweet spot when I think the network peaked). She actually put out an album in 2018 that was critically acclaimed and all over websites like Consequence of Sound, Brooklyn Vegan, Pitchfork, etc. She has a following.

@DoyleG Extreme had quite a few hits. Get The Funk Out was a big hit back in the day, It's forgotten. Play With Me before that. A very misunderstood band.

DoyleG

Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I disagree. Like many of these so called one hit wonders he had lots of big sellers in his home country. The Boy Inside the Man, the Untouchable One, Sinking Like a Sunset were also big hits in Canada. In total had 7 top 5 hits in Canada as a solo artist.
White Hot was Red Ryders biggest hit both internationally and in Canada but it’s not like it was a huge hit.

Using the "Big in Japan" argument against taking someone as a one-hit wonder doesn't work. One hit wonders are defined by the broader impact and influence of the song having a lasting influence on society at large. Domestic and Billboard charts alone don't define.

DoyleG

Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

"Beds are Burning" is considered a one hit wonder as its success has overshadowed the rest of its work. Its composition and message is what seals its palce on such a list.

Madness was the go to ska band of the 80s. They had some great singles but at the very least you have to mention "House of Fun" ,"Baggy Trousers" , "One step beyond" and "It must be love". They are not a one hit wonder.

None of those other hits matched the success of "Our House". When one such hit drowns out the rest of the work, then the one hit wonder is a label that is applied, especially when it is the title of a West End play that the band wrote years later.

Someone earlier stated that Falco wasn't a one hit wonder using two examples. "Vienna Calling" wasn't the broad hit that "Rock Me Amadeus" was and "Der Kommisaar" was known because After the Fire did their own version of it (ironically, making themselves a one hit wonder as well).

DoyleG

Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80's

01 Dexys Midnight Runners “Come on Eileen” (pictured)
02 Flock of Seagulls “I Ran (So Far Away)”
03 A-Ha “Take On Me”
04 Tommy Tutone “867-5309 / Jenny”
05 Soft Cell “Tainted Love”
06 Toni Basil “Mickey”
07 Modern English “I Melt With You”
08 Bow Wow Wow “I Want Candy”
09 Kajagoogoo “Too Shy”
10 Frankie Goes to Hollywood “Relax”
11 Gary Numan “Cars”
12 Animotion “Obsesssion”
13 Thomas Dolby “She Blinded Me With Science”
14 Big Country “In A Big Country”
15 Devo “Whip It”
16 Nena “99 Luft Balloons”
17 Men Without Hats “The Safety Dance”
18 Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock “It Takes Two”
19 Dead or Alive “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)”
20 Rockwell “Somebody’s Watching Me
21 Twisted Sister “We’re Not Gonna Take It”
22 Michael Sembello “Maniac”
23 Eddy Grant “Electric Avenue”
24 Edie Brickell & New Bohemians “What I Am”
25 Musical Youth “Pass the Dutchie”
26 Cutting Crew “I Just Died In Your Arms”
27 Stacey Q “Two of Hearts”
28 John Parr “St. Elmos Fire (Man In Motion)”
29 Madness “Our House”
30 The Vapors “Turning Japanese”
31 Bobby McFerrin “Don’t Worry Be Happy”
32 Quarterflash “HardenMy Heart”
33 John Waite “Missing You”
34 The Waitresses “I Know What Boys Like”
35 Tom Tom Club “Genius of Love”
36 Weather Girls “It’s Raining Men”
37 Lipps, Inc. “Funkytown”
38 Bruce Willis “Respect Yourself”
39 Matthew Wilder “Break My Stride”
40 The Buggles “Video Killed the Radio Star”
41 Billy Vera “At This Moment”
42 Timbuk 3 “The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades”
43 Shannon “Let the Music Play”
44 Wall of Voodoo “Mexican Radio”
45 Robbie Nevil “C’est La Vie”
46 Georgia Satellites “Keep Your Hands To Yourself”
47 Pretty Poison “Catch Me I’m Falling”
48 Yello “Oh Yeah”
49 Philip Bailey (w/ Phil Collins) “Easy Lover”
50 Neneh Cherry “Buffalo Stance”
51 After the Fire “Der Kommissar”
52 Mary Jane Girls “In My House”
53 Taco “Puttin’ On the Ritz”
54 Chris DeBurgh “Lady in Red”
55 Johnny Kemp “Just Got Paid”
56 Til Tuesday “Voices Carry”
57 Jermaine Stewart “We Don’t Have to Take Our Clothes Off”
58 Don Johnson “Heartbeat”
59 The Outfield “Your Love”
60 Nu Shooz “I Can’t Wait”
61 E.U. “Da Butt”
62 XTC “Dear God”
63 Oran “Juice” Jones “The Rain”
64 Robbie Dupree “Steal Away”
65 Boomtown Rats “I Don’t Like Mondays”
66 The Jeff Healy Band “Angel Eyes”
67 Martika “Toy Soldiers”
68 Peter Schilling “Major Tom”
69 T’Pau “Heart And Soul”
70 Harold Faltermeyer “Axel F”
71 Jack Wagner “All I Need”
72 Swing Out Sister “Breakout”
73 Paul Hardcastle “19”
74 Information Society / “What’s On Your Mind (Pure Energy)”
75 Bertie Higgins “Key Largo”
76 J.J. Fad “Supersonic”
77 General Public “Tenderness”
78 Aldo Nova “Fantasy”
79 Alannah Myles “Black Velvet”
80 Eddie Murphy “Party All The Time”
81 Josie Cotton “Johnny Are You Queer?”
82 Red Rider “Lunatic Fringe”
83 Paul Lekakis “Boom Boom Boom Let’s Go Back to My Room”
84 The Church “Under The Milky Way”
85 Ziggy Marley And The Melody Makers “Tomorrow People”
86 Patrice Rushen “Forget Me Nots”
87 Vixen “Edge Of A Broken Heart”
88 Nik Kershaw “Wouldn’t it Be Good”
89 Rodney Dangerfield “Rappin’ Rodney”
90 Haircut 100 “Love Plus One”
91 Gloria Loring & Carl Anderson “Friends And Lovers”
92 Frank Stallone “Far From Over”
93 L.A. Guns “The Ballad of Jayne”
94 Club Nouveau “Lean On Me”
95 Midnight Oil “Beds are Burning”
96 The Fabulous Thunderbirds “Tuff Enuff”
97 Will To Power “Baby I Love Your Way / Freebird”
98 Buckner & Garcia “Pac-Man Fever”
99 Michael Damian “Rock On”
100 Clarence Clemons (and Jackson Browne) “You’re A Friend Of Mine”

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Using the "Big in Japan" argument against taking someone as a one-hit wonder doesn't work. One hit wonders are defined by the broader impact and influence of the song having a lasting influence on society at large. Domestic and Billboard charts alone don't define.
Agree to disagree
Not the way I’d define them.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

"Beds are Burning" is considered a one hit wonder as its success has overshadowed the rest of its work. Its composition and message is what seals its palce on such a list.

None of those other hits matched the success of "Our House". When one such hit drowns out the rest of the work, then the one hit wonder is a label that is applied, especially when it is the title of a West End play that the band wrote years later.

Someone earlier stated that Falco wasn't a one hit wonder using two examples. "Vienna Calling" wasn't the broad hit that "Rock Me Amadeus" was and "Der Kommisaar" was known because After the Fire did their own version of it (ironically, making themselves a one hit wonder as well).
Our House was their only no1 hit but they had plenty of top10 singles. Is that really only one hit, then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->