Biggest "Huggers" of All Time?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
If we are mentioning old school guys like Torrie Robertson, then Tiger Williams might be the king.

Ive seen him open up in a couple fights while a Leaf, but holy shit did it suck watching him fight when he got to Vancouver.
Unless he was fighting a non-fighter, his strategy was to hold on with both arms, for dear life, and then when the refs came in to break it up, he’d start trying to throw cheap shot punches while the refs were holding his oppoenent.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Brashear, Vukota, Darren Langdon, Andrei Nazarov. Vukota was willing to throw at times to start a fight, but if he didn't connect, he always wanted to go for a takedown. Dale Purinton was the same.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Back when I was watching the AHL more, Cullen Eddy would fight quite a bit but they all looked the exact same. Credit the willingness but yeesh. Not a big name but he was the first to come to mind for some reason.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Peters was a chuck and duck after his impressive rookie year and when he got dropped by moose johnson. He would lock out wait for a guy to throw and throw back. With usually neither guy landing.
Cam Janssen was a guy like that, he'd lock out and throw grazing shoulder shots. Never really was impressed with him as a fighter.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Cam Janssen was a guy like that, he'd lock out and throw grazing shoulder shots. Never really was impressed with him as a fighter.
Cam had some toe to toe fights but he did the chuck and duck alot but I give him leeway. He's 5 10 not 6 4 like peters.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I remember being so f***ing annoyed by Georges Laraque

Some morons touted him as some "big, scary heavyweight" etc ... and every single one of his fight were as disappointing as Yakupov playing ... he was fighting like he was chased by a swarm of bees

He never, NEVER just had an honest fight, he was just in a hurry to throw a few fake/bluff haymakers for the show, and then hug it out, because he was so scared to get hit. His fighting was all smoke & mirrors

That is why he also quit so "early", he didn't want to get injuries.

Someone like Boogaard was the "anti-hugger", he tried to make the fights last, and tried to throw bombs after bombs, with close to zero defense / distracting the opponent. But he also paid for it with his injuries.

Just tried to find a single Laraque knockout. Could not find one.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Tim Hunter wasn't as much of a "hugger" as he was a guy who would lock arms and use his strength to his advantage. As he aged, he took fewer chances in letting to to throw a punch. Some pretty tough dudes out there at the time so can't say I blame him!

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I remember being so f***ing annoyed by Georges Laraque

Some morons touted him as some "big, scary heavyweight" etc ... and every single one of his fight were as disappointing as Yakupov playing ... he was fighting like he was chased by a swarm of bees

He never, NEVER just had an honest fight, he was just in a hurry to throw a few fake/bluff haymakers for the show, and then hug it out, because he was so scared to get hit. His fighting was all smoke & mirrors

That is why he also quit so "early", he didn't want to get injuries.

Someone like Boogaard was the "anti-hugger", he tried to make the fights last, and tried to throw bombs after bombs, with close to zero defense / distracting the opponent. But he also paid for it with his injuries.

Just tried to find a single Laraque knockout. Could not find one.
I hate to share this because he's my favorite fighter but he had at least 1

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Definately Brashear. Biggest hugger of all time. With that said, it worked for him. He's a top 10 guy all time.

I watched Brashear during his first professional years in the AHL. Huge hugger who tried to use his strength to his advantage. Having said that he improved immensely over the years.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Came in to say Secord.

Always willing but it was a family reunion the second the gloves came off.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I watched all the Secord fights available online cause he's a guy I wish Boston never traded, but he was definately not a thrower from what I've seen. Oh well, he could score and hit but I guess you can't always have everything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->