Biggest "Huggers" of All Time?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
What players had a reputation as fighters, or even enforcers, but the truth is they usually just tried to tie the other guy up instead of throwing many punches themselves?

The ones that come to my mind, offhand, are Gerard Gallant and Phil Russell, based on my watching all the vids of their fights I could find. I may be wrong about one or both of them because it's just based on the few fights I saw, so let me know what you think about them also, but I'm interested in hearing opinions on some others:popcorn:

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
When it came to fighting in his own weight class, Chara was the king of the hugging "takedown" as Jack Edwards loved to credit to him.

Sure, against smaller guys he'd "ragdoll" them or shake them around but he's also a fan of pivoting with his dance partner, with one fist cocked back, before they all turn around a common center of gravity and lose their balance.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
When it came to fighting in his own weight class, Chara was the king of the hugging "takedown" as Jack Edwards loved to credit to him.

Sure, against smaller guys he'd "ragdoll" them or shake them around but he's also a fan of pivoting with his dance partner, with one fist cocked back, before they all turn around a common center of gravity and lose their balance.
Still upset bro from 2011 lmfao!....brash and huggy laraque

Reactions: Jen Psaki

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Off the top of my head
Brashear had a ugly style. He would just use his roid rage to hug and then rabbit punch the back of his head. In later years he opened up and traded more him getting ko'd by wade belak's left is a all time high for me.
Stortini Was horrible in his first nhl stunt with hugging. He got better after he was sent down by Nashville and turned into a solid exciting fighter.
Colin Fraser- Adam Burish- Jamal Mayers Made me hate their time on the hawks. Fraser and Burish especially would try weak punches and hug while getting drilled in the back of the head. Never saw a fighter get locked out more then Burish. Mayers would hug and then throw a couple of light punches and fall easily.
Mike Brown- Would have a quick flurry then look for the take down right away and grab a leg to get his opponent off balance which just looked weak. Early in his career he was just a straight hugger.
Lappy would also be on this list

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tim Horton was never considered a fighter, but his style of play got him into fights, where he used his ridiculously strong bear hug to immobilize opponents.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

It’s clear Chara isn’t a great fighter despite being a humongous person. Plus after he almost killed Koci something changed in his fighting too.

Reactions: Richard Lather

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->