Biggest goals in hockey history moving backwards

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I think Kuzy's OT goal against the Pens was one of the biggest goals in recent times. It exercised a significant amount of the Caps' demons and gave them the momentum to exercise the remaining demons with a Cup. The fact that it came in OT and in Game 6 adds to the drama and legend. If the Caps lose that game, there is good chance they lose Game 7 and add more to what seemed like an insurmountable mountain for OV and the team to climb.

If you agree with this, what goal would have been the biggest before that? One that came at a memorable time or moment in a key part of the game?

Kane's Game 6 OT winner in 2010?

Crosby's Golden goal? Possibly the most pressured filled moment from purely a hockey standpoint.

Something more recent?

My candidates for momentous goals before that are:

- Kovalchuk's OT winner at the 2008 WHC's (Russia's first gold since 1993 won on Canadian soil against a strong Canadian team in the IIHF's 100th anniversary)

- Jeeeoooo Sakic! Clinched Canada's first Olympic Gold in 50 years and stopped Canada's best-on-best losing streak of two.

- Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!

- Mario's 1987 Canada Cup game winner. Quite possibly the highest level of hockey ever played.

- Smith's own goal aganst the Flames in 1986.

- Nystrom's OT Cup winner in 1980

- Lafleur's game tying goal against the Bruins

- Henderson

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The Mike Bossy tip of Paul Coffey's shot (after Coffey broke up a 2-on-1 seconds earlier) to beat the Russians in OT of the semi-finals at the 1984 Canada Cup was huge. It had been eight years since Canada had won a best on best tourney and although they had to beat the Swedes in the Finals this was the de facto championship game. Also, probably the best hockey game I've ever seen.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Big Phil

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Kuznetkov's overtime winner will be thought of quite highly as time goes on. But if we are going backwards you have to throw in Alec Martinez's two huge overtime goals in the 2014 playoffs. The first one to beat the Hawks in Game 7, probably the Cup final for all intents and purposes, and the second one to win the Cup in Game 5 vs. the Rangers. Those are two big goals.

Before that, I'd say Bolland's goal to more or less win the Cup in Game 6 in 2013, capping off a dramatic turn of events. Seabrook's overtime goal vs. Detroit was huge too.

Yeah, then Kane in 2010, Crosby in 2010.

People forget this one a lot, but Letang's overtime winner in Game 3 against Washington in 2009. The Pens lose that game and they are down 3-0. No Cup without that.

We could keep going, but one that was extremely important at the time was Ken Morrow's overtime winner in 1984 vs. the Rangers. Yes the Isles lost to the Oilers in the final, but that kept the drive for 5 alive. Arguably the best NHL you will ever watch if you have a couple hours to burn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->