Biggest game of Ovechkin's career so far?

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco
Yep. I think if Caps beat the Pens they have a good chance of winning the cup. Hope they slay the dragon tonight! :cheer:

28akbyf.gif
:sarcasm:
:sarcasm:
VacantAgreeableFlounder.gif

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
There's no guarantee Washington wins the cup if they win tonight. Thus, any elimination game in the SCF ( Sorry they aren't losing to Ottawa) will be the biggest. Why is tonight's game 7 any different than the choke job vs NY in 2015? That went 7 games..

If Washington wins tonight but loses in the cup final, how will people look at them? Will they be congratulated for finally getting past round 2? Will others hold it against them for not winning a cup? Personally, I don't think getting a worst draft pick and losing in the SCF is any better than being swept in round one. Your either first or last. That's just me.

People will still look at them the same way. The opinions of most people won't really change all that much. I assume the Caps fans will think more highly of him and the team, but they will be disappointed in not having a cup.

Generally people just create loftier expectations when ann expection gets fufilled:

They lose this game - "OV and WSH are still chokers"
They win this round, but lose the cup - "Well they didn't win the cup, so who cares, they suck"
They win the cup - "Well Sid has two, so OV still has a long way to go to prove hes great. He has to bring them back again."

The narratives can always be used to hate or elevate players no matter what. There is a group that thinks OV sucks, and until he passes Gretz' goal record, that probably won't change. Might not even then.

I think Prime OV is the most skilled/explosive players I've ever seen, and yes I watch Plenty of Sid/McD. I really want him to win the cup, maybe even if he's playing my Oilers in the finals. Just my opinion, feel free to hate on it. There is a difference between skill and greatness - see A-Rodgers vs T-Brady

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I would say it definitely is.

Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win, and the biggest team accomplishment in hockey. Winning this game not only puts them into the top 4 so a step closer to that (closer than ever for Ovi), but also gets them over that 2nd round hump. Words can't describe what that would mean for Ovi personally, but also his legacy. As a proud athlete, there's nothing worse than being one of the best players in the world but never having any success where it matters.

Add the element of always failing against the Pens, that would make it all the better.

Winning this game would mean a hell of a lot more than just winning one game, or even a playoff series. Im sure if you ask Ovi, he'd say this is the most important game in his career so far. Result of this game defines so many things, either good or bad.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
No bigger or smaller than any other Round-2, Game-7 game he's played in.

Incorrect. He's getting older and this may be one of his last shots at the cup with their cap situation. The previius times he was still young enough to likely get more shots at the cup

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The narratives can always be used to hate or elevate players no matter what.

People perception of player can change a lot, Joe Thornton and is Shark perception changed quite a bit last year imo, even if they lost in the final.

Steve Yzerman and the wings were perceived a bit like a group that could not get it done, he was not pick on some team Canada when he was young even though he scored 150 points in a season, and now he is perceived has one of the biggest winner and one of the best leader of is generation.

Maybe not for some strong haters, but in term of general population, the perception can shift a lot with one cup (or even reaching the final)

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Let's face it Ovechkin is past his prime. His play style has caught up to him, we enjoyed an entertaining and great run, but after 2011 he can't be looked at as the guy to carry his teams.

Let's see what happens if Caps decide to trade Samsonov for a piece, and call up Bowey and Vrana next year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
In the final 4 minutes he tried to carry the puck out of his zone and he couldn't even stick handle past the first defender without being stripped.

Didn't realize how terrible he is at carrying the puck nowadays.

Washington never got set up even once with goalie pulled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad