Biggest Game in Franchise History: Oilers Edition

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome back to Last Word on Hockey’s summer series where we look at the biggest game in team history. Each day we will be back with a new team to review. Looking at things like the lead-up, what happened, followed, and why it makes it the biggest game. The biggest game does not automatically mean a win, either. Sometimes, it can be a loss that set the franchise back massively. Sit back and enjoy as we break down all 31 teams’ most important game. This is the Edmonton Oilers biggest game. The full series is found here.

The lead up to the Edmonton Oilers biggest game requires some background. From 1983–1990, the Oilers iced one of the most dominant teams in NHL history. Fronted by NHL icons Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier, the franchise was able to capture five Stanley Cups (four with Gretzky) in seven years.

Edmonton Oilers Biggest Game in Franchise History Last Word on Hockey

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Too young to know but it seems like Oiler fans had it all for much of the 80s.

97-98 upsets and 06 run are my only positive recollection of being an Oilers’ fan.

And getting McDavid of course hahaha!

Reactions: PULSATING

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
too young for me but everyone always says Game 1 of the 1984 SCF...Oilers win 1-0 on a Kevin McClelland goal

it was then they knew they could beat the mighty Islanders

100%
That came to mind immediately when I saw the thread.

Nothing even comes close to that game IMO.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
too young for me but everyone always says Game 1 of the 1984 SCF...Oilers win 1-0 on a Kevin McClelland goal

it was then they knew they could beat the mighty Islanders

I remember this and it probably is! If the Oilers don’t win this game and go down 2-0 to the Isles, even if the Oilers win all 3 games at home, they are only up 3-2 and have to play the last 2 games on Long Island. The Isles could have taken those 2 at home and won their 5th cup in a row! THATS how key winning game 2 on the Island was !! o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->