Biggest fake to an injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

serum114

Mar 1, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I can't believe this hasn't come up yet, but the most memorable fake injury (and most effective I might add) was by Mike Bullard of the Flames in one of the mid-80s Flames-Oilers playoff battles (I'm tempted to say '87, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, the scene was set when an Oiler player (Messier or Anderson, someone of significant value), gave Bullard a little jab to the stomach with their stick in a scuffle after the whistle. Bullard drop liked a stone, writhing in pain, clutching his stomach and the Saddledome fell sickly silent as Bearcat Murray scampered to his side.

There was a couple minutes of consultation, before the stretcher came out and Bullard was gingerly hoisted aboard, receiving a standing ovation from the Flames faithful as he was wheeled off.

The Oiler player, I'm pretty sure it was Anderson, received five and a game for spearing, a call no one would have disputed were it not for the CBC.

The CBCs cameras followed the stretcher down the hallway and, once he was far enough into the tunnel, Bullard jumped off the stretcher laughing, high fived an equipment guy and went into the dressing room to watch the rest of the game.

At the time, I was a young and incredibly angry Oilers fan. Now I see the humour in it, and hell, I like soccer so who am I to bemoan a little diving...

Either way, a classic moment.

My 2 cents...

PS - Theo's triple axel off the Linden "hook" is by far the funniest flop I have ever seen.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
serum114 said:
I can't believe this hasn't come up yet, but the most memorable fake injury (and most effective I might add) was by Mike Bullard of the Flames in one of the mid-80s Flames-Oilers playoff battles (I'm tempted to say '87, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, the scene was set when an Oiler player (Messier or Anderson, someone of significant value), gave Bullard a little jab to the stomach with their stick in a scuffle after the whistle. Bullard drop liked a stone, writhing in pain, clutching his stomach and the Saddledome fell sickly silent as Bearcat Murray scampered to his side.

There was a couple minutes of consultation, before the stretcher came out and Bullard was gingerly hoisted aboard, receiving a standing ovation from the Flames faithful as he was wheeled off.

The Oiler player, I'm pretty sure it was Anderson, received five and a game for spearing, a call no one would have disputed were it not for the CBC.

The CBCs cameras followed the stretcher down the hallway and, once he was far enough into the tunnel, Bullard jumped off the stretcher laughing, high fived an equipment guy and went into the dressing room to watch the rest of the game.

At the time, I was a young and incredibly angry Oilers fan. Now I see the humour in it, and hell, I like soccer so who am I to bemoan a little diving...

Either way, a classic moment.

My 2 cents...

PS - Theo's triple axel off the Linden "hook" is by far the funniest flop I have ever seen.
it was Marty McSorley, not Anderson or Messier

and it did look bad when it happenedhttp://www.canoe.ca/Slam030917/col_francis-sun.html

jb**

norrisnick said:
Niedermayer could have just been knocked out for a while. When that happens they don't risk anything because you have no idea how serious the injury could be.

Happened to Kariya 2 years ago and he returns to the game and scores a goal 10 minutes later. When Stevens nailed him and I saw Kariya just lay there my only thought was that Kariya is done. No way he recovers from that after his previous concussions and whatnot. Lo and behold he comes back to the game.

I don't think either case was "faking" but more it looking worse than it actually was.
When Garth Snow gave Barnaby a little whack, he was motionless on the ice and you would have thought he was killed jumps up and tries to throw a punch or 2

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I have respect for exploiting penalties-- IE Taking a fall to a tug or shove that was less than off-balancing

However, I have no respect for anyone who fakes an injury out of it. Cheap and weak.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Riberio. While I believe he may have sustained a real cramp/nerve injury on the play, the way that he then taunted the Bruins when he got up was one of the darkest moments in NHL history. If you are hurt and you get up, your focus should be 1.) on your own health and 2.) on summoning the strength to help your team. With real winners, the focus will be on the later.

KOVALEV10*

Toxostoma Rufum said:
Riberio. While I believe he may have sustained a real cramp/nerve injury on the play, the way that he then taunted the Bruins when he got up was one of the darkest moments in NHL history. If you are hurt and you get up, your focus should be 1.) on your own health and 2.) on summoning the strength to help your team. With real winners, the focus will be on the later.

Well I agree what he did was very bad but look at the way he responded in the next game. He scored 2 goals! :handclap:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Oil3rs said:
Should replacement players be put into place, and he be the only player from the NHLPA to cross over, then yes.

Are you serious?

He didn't say he was one of the top 10 players night in and night out, he said he is one of the top 10 players when he is on top of his game. He sure as hell is just that. He is one of the top 5 most talented players in the league.

se7en*

I'm watching Game 4 of the 1983 finals. Right now.

Watching that assjack Billy Smith flop around like a Pejorative Slur after Anderson just brushed by him must have been a slap in the face added to the fact they were down 3-0 in the series. After the game Smith admitted that it was just a show.

Oh well; it must have been fun to see him go from Conn Smythe winner to the league's biggest sieve in the 1984 rematch.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Big Phil said:
I like Harry Neale's comment on that one "Well Hasek isnt going to get away with drawing a penalty as he goes down like he has just been hung!" :biglaugh: Always love Neale's comments

Yeah, Harry Neale's snide remarks always makes me crack a smile...usually very quick and witty and often intelligent...and he's even got some pretty good poetry to go along with his analysis!!!

Talking about Kent Manderville's (?) decision to play hockey - "Oh how silent the forest would be if only the prettiest birds with prettiest voices sang their songs"

Now, if he could only work on getting rid of that Leaf bias that he has...

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
KOVALEV10 said:
Well I agree what he did was very bad but look at the way he responded in the next game. He scored 2 goals! :handclap:

The fact that was healthy enough to score two goals in the next game made his flopping around the ice like a pampered circus seal in heat with the contents of his purse strewn over the ice even more shamelful... Thank heavens that display of cowardice didn't take place in the old Forum, the ghosts of Richard & Morenz would have come down and haunted princess Michael for that display of femininity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad