Biggest draft steal since Lundqvist?

Biggest draft steal since Lundqvist

• Total voters

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Capt. Cally for me, though Shesterkin has the chance to take the title if he keeps it up. First he has to prove it over a full healthy season.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Stepan right now...he never really got a lot of credit for how good he was for us in a role that should have been above his head.

Reactions: Allan92

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Callahan considering he rose to become captain and core player. Igor might surpass him. Maybe he goes on to have four consecutive 930 seasons. Maybe he has six 890 seasons. Too early to tell.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Stepan was incredible for us for a little while - especially right after the lockout ended and we had that shortened season about 10 years ago or so. He was incredible that year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Stepan was incredible for us for a little while - especially right after the lockout ended and we had that shortened season about 10 years ago or so. He was incredible that year.

I'm a little worried that Stepan's 2013 is Fox's 2021. Stepan never came close to matching that and it was a weird season.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I chose Callahan because his impact on the franchise was greatest compared to where he was drafted. Now, he may well be overtaken by Buch and Shesty, but he was drafted lower than Shesty, and captained Rangers teams to several long playoff runs. He beats Stepan, in my view, not because of his impact, so much as his low draft position (same for Dubinski, who was a 2nd rounder, albeit a late one who blew away all expectations after his draft year -- that's a story worth revisiting).

Buch and Shesty both have the talent and opportunity to overtake Cally in my mind, they just haven't gotten there yet.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I knew I'd forget someone and I forgot about Stepan, can I edit the poll and put Stepan in Anisimov's place?

Honestly, don't think that second rounders should be eligible, lol. Every year there're probably at least 5-10 prospects who deserved to be in the 1st round. It is one thing to include in the poll someone of, say, Bergeron statute for the vote, but to me getting either Stepan or Anisimov is not a "steal" per se if your poll question starts with a reference to Lundqvist who is both a HOF and a late(est) round pick.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Add Ryan Graves

talk about a trade that went south quickly

Eh. Let's not overreact. He had a good rookie season playing with Makar. Most young kids would be stellar when paired with Makar.

Not saying Ryan Graves is a bad player but his plus-minus is his best attribute and it masks his flaws.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Is it too early to throw Miller within this convo? I understand he was a 1st rounder that we even traded up for..... but wow, he is ALREADY this good. He has the potential to be a #1-2 Dman for 20 years. He doesn't play an overly physical or taxing game either, yet still maintains good physicality, so coupled with what seems like great natural athletic genes, I feel like longevity is in his future.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Stepan was a legit 1C for the Rangers at the most competitive they’ve been since the mid 90s and then late 70s. So I think the answer has to be him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If someone told me Lundqvist’s heir will have a 22-11-3 record with a 2.34GAA and .928SV%, at the start of his career — I’d tell them to eat a bag of dicks and keep it realistic. Especially considering that pick was a measly 4th round selection.

Im 100% biased though when it comes to goalies. Richter + Henrik are my idols. I was a goalie in Hockey, Soccer, and some Lacrosse. All because of Richter.

Shesty is the real deal and the fact that we got him in a round 95% of people neglect, makes him the obvious selection here. For me at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad