Biggest difference between this year's Jets and last year's Jets?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think you look at your roster and it's strengths, and you decide on a strategy to take advantage of those strengths.

Well run and gun is pretty much what we are built for. Speed and shooting ability makes up pretty much the majority of our forward core. Even moreso when Vesalainen joins.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
You need to be committed, VERY COMMITTED, to win in theplayoffs. Jets have not been very committed all year & their performance in the playoffs pretty much mirrored that.

Tampa was a surprise, but as with Calgary, if it comes easy during the regular season, team doesn't really have the frame of mind to succeed in the playoffs. Playoffs and regular season are so totally different. Jets have the size to play both, they just need a whole lot more commitment & discipline than they had this year.

I can accept that. The Jets are more talented than St Louis and they have proved in the past that they can play at a very high level.

I thought the Jets played well in the playoffs but @Board Bard ’s comments aren’t missed on me - we still missed the mark. We should be able to beat St Louis despite the fact St Louis was hot.

Maybe they shouldn’t have been coin flip games. Maybe we should have torn them to pieces in more games.

While the Jets definitely flipped the switch, they still could have been better.

Hopefully the message isn’t lost on the players on this team. They still need to hustle hard and can’t just rely on skill superiority to win games on a regular basis.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
their play in the last week or two yelled out that they were not going anywhere this year.

I think you’re overreaching here. This series could have gone our way (we’re talking about a lot of 1 goal decisions). If they advanced, the playoff survivors aren’t the cream of the crop.

Yes, the Jets did not look as good as last year but they were not doomed to failure.

Reactions: GNP and Flair Hay

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Boy, I really don't know what game you were watching the last two weeks or even the last two months of the season! Regularly losing to the doormats of the NHL. Regularly blowing thrid period leads. Couldn't hold on to first place when they had it in the bag a week before playoffs started.

They were definitely not ready for the playoffs and it was perfectly obvious they were going nowhere.

Instead of referring back to the regular season, tell me your views of how the Jets actually played during the playoffs and we’ll see if that matches up with reality.

I think a few of you are inappropriately demonizing the effort the Jets gave in the playoffs. Game 6 - yes, a gong show, but the rest of the series was generally hotly contested.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I am not sure how Maurice even gets these guys to play his system because our lack of defense on most nights has been incredible.

Our top line rarely back checks and is a liability when we have a lead especially in the 3rd period.
The Only line that plays with any type of defensive structure is Tanev, Copp and Lowry.

This was a very frustrating team to watch play this season.

You mean being outshot just about every game and allowing about 40 shots a game isn’t a recipe for success!:sarcasm:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Instead of referring back to the regular season, tell me your views of how the Jets actually played during the playoffs and we’ll see if that matches up with reality.

I think a few of you are inappropriately demonizing the effort the Jets gave in the playoffs. Game 6 - yes, a gong show, but the rest of the series was generally hotly contested.

Sure it was hotly contested, but it shouldn’t have been. This thread asked the difference between last years Jets vs this years Jets...last years Jets would have won this series in 4 or 5 games... this years Jets .... well let’s not dwell on that.

Reactions: sipowicz

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Mindset for sure.

Last year they wanted to constantly prove themselves.

This year was more sitting on that good team status.

It’s natural thing to happen, but can also let bad things creep into your game and by blowing so many leads in the reg season it basically culminated in game 5 3rd period vs the Blues.

I think they had the potential to hit a higher level than last year but it just didn’t quite happen.

I almost wish they stunk earlier in the season so they would’ve been forced to get hot for the playoffs. I think that suits the Jets a lot better than just flipping the switch. Generally when heavy teams with skill play determined, get battle hardened and that consistency going they can become a machine. I mean, swap the Jets and Blues seasons for the playoffs and i think the Jets can sweep.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Wrong systems and schemes for the talent available on the roster, keeping dumb dumb Maurice means more of the same. Wake me in December when TNSE finally shows Mo the door!

Exactly-last season the team was young and hungry and full of momentum. Maurice’s hands off leadership approach worked as everyone bought into his systems and worked extremely hard every shift.

This year, the team needed a different leadership style for success-hands on with a whip to hold everyone accountable to work hard within his systems. Maurice did not adapt at all. The players (the vets) were not held accountable in any way. Systems were not adhered to. This sent a huge message to the entire team.

(Of course, add to that Maurice rarely played four lines effectively, rarely made in game adjustments, and made horrendous top 6 deployment decisions all year long. Finally, he NEVER called a time out in third periods to refocus the team to prevent come from behind wins. This, in and of itself is completely mind boggling)

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Maurice has taken a roster with significant potential and carefully molded it into what we see now - a very middle of the road team trying to play a conservative ,low-risk, low-event game with other contender teams that have rosters that are possibly better suited to this style game than us. He has implemented only the most basic of systems in all zones, emphasizing that nearly everything be kept to the outside, close to the boards. and, has few if any pre-set plays to deal with special situations ( quick counters; plays to achieve zone access; plays to transition through a neutral zone trap). He advocates playing a high pressure,"heavy" game everywhere, so as to reduce time and space, with possible turnovers the source of most offence.

This style of hockey can of course result in success, but it is totally dependent not only on an elevated work ethic but moreso actually out-working the opponent(unless one wants to rely upon the refs or the hockey gods themselves for success). It seems that we were unable to elevate our own game sufficiently and certainly not to the threshold level set by our opponents (who also elevated their own game).

If it`s not blatantly obvious already, I believe that the team needs a significant workover in terms of style of play- with a decided move away from what we have now to much more of an aggressive,uptempo transition style, seeking to maximize puck possession. Problem is this is guaranteed not to happen - afterall, this team IS the very personification of Maurice. Those expecting a style change or something different to emphasize player strengths will be sorely disappointed, I fear.

All jmo of course.. .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice has taken a roster with significant potential and carefully molded it into what we see now - a very middle of the road team trying to play a conservative ,low-risk, low-event game with other contender teams that have rosters that are possibly better suited to this style game than us. He has implemented only the most basic of systems in all zones, emphasizing that nearly everything be kept to the outside, close to the boards. and, has few if any pre-set plays to deal with special situations ( quick counters; plays to achieve zone access; plays to transition through a neutral zone trap). He advocates playing a high pressure,"heavy" game everywhere, so as to reduce time and space, with possible turnovers the source of most offence.

This style of hockey can of course result in success, but it is totally dependent not only on an elevated work ethic but moreso actually out-working the opponent(unless one wants to rely upon the refs or the hockey gods themselves for success). It seems that we were unable to elevate our own game sufficiently and certainly not to the threshold level set by our opponents (who also elevated their own game).

If it`s not blatantly obvious already, I believe that the team needs a significant workover in terms of style of play- with a decided move away from what we have now to much more of an aggressive,uptempo transition style, seeking to maximize puck possession. Problem is this is guaranteed not to happen - afterall, this team IS the very personification of Maurice. Those expecting a style change or something different to emphasize player strengths will be sorely disappointed, I fear.

All jmo of course.. .

Pretty much what I have been seeing for a while now. He doesn't know how to properly derive a system around the skill he has at his disposal. He is trying to derive a system for a mid talent grinding team. We need better transition offense, more complex break ins that are layered that takes advantage of the teams talent. Laine is great in a layered offense, Conner and Roslovic and Ehelers are as well. On defense Morrissey is at his best joining the rush and jumping into holes. I would argue Niku is the same as JoMo. The square peg round hole system will become more and more apparent as the youth who aren't geared to play it start to drive the bus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->