Biggest "Almost" Deals Through History?

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Guys I read this from a book only once and wondered if anyone else heard this, in 94 near the trade deadline I read the Wings could've gotten Grant Fuhr in exchange for Keith Primeau and Bob Essensa....anyone else hear of this? I just wonder the "what ifs" ...maybe the collapse against the Sharks doesn't happen if Fuhr is in net....although at that point in time I don't know if Detroit would've wanted to part ways with Primeau….still a bit too young/upside at that point.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Gretzky to Toronto. There was only one obstacle and unfortunately it was the one that mattered most.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
In '97 Messier had left for Vancouver, so the Rangers signed Joe Sakic to a 3yr deal worth $21M which Colorado matched. Compensation would've been 5 1st rd picks. New York would've had 2 top centers in Gretzky and Sakic (they ended up signing LaFontaine) and would've been a joy to see.
And I seem to think someone tried signing Fedorov when he was a group 2, but I could be wrong.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
In '97 Messier had left for Vancouver, so the Rangers signed Joe Sakic to a 3yr deal worth $21M which Colorado matched. Compensation would've been 5 1st rd picks. New York would've had 2 top centers in Gretzky and Sakic (they ended up signing LaFontaine) and would've been a joy to see.
And I seem to think someone tried signing Fedorov when he was a group 2, but I could be wrong.

Carolina signed Federov to a 6 year, $38M offer sheet late in the 97-98 season that Detroit matched.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Carolina signed Federov to a 6 year, $38M offer sheet late in the 97-98 season that Detroit matched.
I believe that contact offer had a poison pill clause with ridiculous bonuses for making the Western Conference final. Which obviously Carolina wouldn't have to worry about.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
New York would've had 2 top centers in Gretzky and Sakic (they ended up signing LaFontaine) and would've been a joy to see.

The Sabres traded Lafontaine to the Rangers, it was not a signing. He spent his entire career playing in New York State and had a great quote about it: "I've been traded twice in my career and never had to change my license plate."

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
In Philadelphia Flyers programs from the late 1980's to early 1990's, there was a column titled "Around the NHL" that had some trade rumors. I don't know the validity of those rumors, but here are some rumored deals that were mentioned:

May, 1987 " Word persists that the Edmonton Oilers really did offer defenseman Paul Coffey to Washington for defenseman Scott Stevens".

January, 1990 " The Flames have talked to Toronto about Gary Leeman and Luke Richardson for Gary Suter. The Flames have also talked to St.Louis about the possibility of reacquiring right wing Brett Hull."

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Brian Burke pretty much had 1-2-3 overall picks lined up but had a change of heart.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
was it true that in 1987 Oilers aproach Gilbert perreault to come play with Gretzky& company. but he Declined!.

And another connected what if is that Guy Lafleur would have been an Oiler at that time if Serge Savard allowed it to happen.

The 1981 Canada cup line would have a chance for another go

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
Lafleur also....:). Really stacked top 9 oilers in 1987.

Tikkanen-Gretzky-Kurri
Nilsson-Messier-Anderson
Perreault-Mactavish-Lafleur..

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
The Sabres traded Lafontaine to the Rangers, it was not a signing. He spent his entire career playing in New York State and had a great quote about it: "I've been traded twice in my career and never had to change my license plate."
Thanks, for some reason I thought he was a free agent.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ

I've always said if this and the rumored Shanahan deal occur the Rangers are contenders in the late 90s early 00s maybe even win another cup or 2

Reactions: brachyrynchos

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
In Philadelphia Flyers programs from the late 1980's to early 1990's, there was a column titled "Around the NHL" that had some trade rumors. I don't know the validity of those rumors, but here are some rumored deals that were mentioned:

May, 1987 " Word persists that the Edmonton Oilers really did offer defenseman Paul Coffey to Washington for defenseman Scott Stevens".

January, 1990 " The Flames have talked to Toronto about Gary Leeman and Luke Richardson for Gary Suter. The Flames have also talked to St.Louis about the possibility of reacquiring right wing Brett Hull."

It was probably that moron with the mustache who tried to fight Mike Richards writing it. Forget his name, but he's full of crap.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I believe that contact offer had a poison pill clause with ridiculous bonuses for making the Western Conference final. Which obviously Carolina wouldn't have to worry about.

The contract would have been rejected by the league had it stipulated "Western Conference" as that would have, as you pointed out, been an impossibility for the Hurricanes.

The deal did have a sizeable signing bonus ($14 million) a $2 million salary for remained for the season ($2 million) and a massive bonus for the making the conference finals ($12 million.) The deal was signed in late February and Carolina was on their way to missing the playoffs so the Conference Final bonus was very unlikely to be a factor for them.

Fedorov joined the Wings and sure enough they advanced to the Conference Final, triggering the bonus. In the end, Detroit paid Sergei Fedorov $28 million for 43 games that season (21 in the regular season and 22 more in the post-season) but Detroit did win their second Cup in a row making it a lot more palatable.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
instead to numerous trades that fell through like Peter Bondra in 1999-2000 (after having a terrible season for the Caps), Marian Gaborik around 2008-09 (he missed most of the season but came back only to get re-injured before becoming a UFA that summer), Marian Hossa who was instead traded to the Pens in 2008 and Mats Sundin the same season. Others include the often mentioned pursuits of Lecavalier and the draft day deal that fell through for Kovalchuk in 2001. The Habs were also one of the main contenders for Pavel Bure in 1998.

Numerous names im really interested. Do you have some sources, where is more about it?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Marian Hossa who was instead traded to the Pens in 2008

This one is probably closer than anything in this thread.

I discussed, at length, though quite cryptically at the time, the Hossa-to-Montreal trade and I really can't get into much more detail right now because of the requirements of this website to reveal sources for information, but I worked for a major sports network at the time of that trade deadline and I can tell you that Marian Hossa to the Montreal Canadiens was reported as being a "done deal" very late in the evening the night before the trade deadline. In the lengthy thread on the Canadiens message board I stated it was a done deal. Within a half hour of posting that, and right as I was about to leave the studio I was told that the Canadiens were trying to expand the deal to possibly include Bobby Holik and/or Johan Hedberg, which would have been a massive transaction. I said "So it's not a done deal?" and I was told, "No, it's done, it just might be a bigger transaction." I asked how big a deal it would be, and was told that Holik wouldn't cost much and it would be more about balancing salaries. Keep in mind, this was pretty late in the evening. In the morning, only really hours later, I arrived at work and was told that there was now another strong bidder and that the Montreal Hossa deal "could fall through." The other team, however, was *not* the Pittsburgh Penguins. Leading up to the deadline, Atlanta seemed to be leveraging another team to get more out of Montreal (what they were offering up wasn't a King's Ransom by any stretch. I recall Ryan O'Byrne and Mikhail Grabovski being two of the roster players in the package and Guiallame Latendresse was also bandied about, though I don't think it was ever all three of those guys, just different combinations. In terms of the larger trade, I can't fathom why any scenario would have seen Johan Hedberg involved.)

Anyway, right as it got down to the wire, one again, the Canadiens were the front runners and then with only minutes until the deadline, the Penguins made their offer and Montreal could not match the piece the Penguins were willing to dangle a piece, that, perhaps ironically, ended up being virtually worthless: Angelo Esposito.

After the fact, I was told that if Montreal hadn't tried to add in Holik, the paperwork could possibly have been signed and sent to the league the evening before and there never would have been a chance for a last minute Penguins bid. Though Don Waddell might have waited until the following day just to see if offers increased. Who knows. Interestingly, the Thrashers ended up not trading Holik at all at the deadline.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Guys I read this from a book only once and wondered if anyone else heard this, in 94 near the trade deadline I read the Wings could've gotten Grant Fuhr in exchange for Keith Primeau and Bob Essensa....anyone else hear of this? I just wonder the "what ifs" ...maybe the collapse against the Sharks doesn't happen if Fuhr is in net....although at that point in time I don't know if Detroit would've wanted to part ways with Primeau….still a bit too young/upside at that point.

I'm not sure that Essensa would've been part of a Fuhr deal. Essensa was who they ended up getting near the 94 deadline instead of goalies that Bowman wanted like Fuhr or Ranford. IIRC, Primeau was Buffalo's must have in a deal for Fuhr, and Sather wanted a kings ransom that included Osgood in exchange for Ranford.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not necessarily a blockbuster of a trade, but the Tampa Bay Lightning attempted to trade Chris Gratton to Chicago after he had signed an offer sheet with the Philadelphia Flyers. They had a trade agreed upon but the deal was blocked due to Gratton signing the offer sheet.

Vernon Reportedly Traded to Sharks
An NHL arbitrator ruled that the Philadelphia Flyers' five-year $16.5-million offer to Tampa Bay center Chris Gratton, a restricted free agent, was valid.

The decision voids a trade between Tampa Bay and Chicago. The Blackhawks reportedly were to have acquired Ethan Moreau, Steve Dubinsky and Keith Carney from Tampa Bay for Gratton.

pixel.gif

The Lighting now has a week to match the Flyers' offer or accept five first-round draft picks from Philadelphia as compensation.

This New York Times article sheds more light as to what transpired. Seems like Phil Esposito was pretty incompetent at his job. I can think of a few reasons why...

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/20/...-to-trade-gratton-nhl-commissioner-rules.html
A week ago, while negotiating with his star center Chris Gratton, Tampa Bay General Manager Phil Esposito compared their dealings to a card game.

''It's poker,'' Esposito said. ''Can I bluff? Are they bluffing well enough for me to call? We'll see.''

Everyone saw the cards yesterday when National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that last week's trade of Gratton, a Group 2 restricted free agent, to Chicago was null and void. Bettman ruled that an offer sheet from the Philadelphia Flyers, signed by Gratton, was filed before Esposito completed the trade. In essence, Bettman told Esposito to read 'em and weep.

To further demonstrate how incompetent Esposito was as GM, he decided to trade the four first round draft selections he would have received as compensation from the Flyers for signing Chris Gratton, and in return he received Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis. The four first round draft selections would turn out to be Simon Gagne, Maxime Ouellet, Justin Williams and Tim Gleason (Flyers traded down a few spots and gained an extra pick, the pick was used by the Senators to select Gleason).

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/21/sports/gratton-ends-up-with-the-flyers.html
The Lightning conceded Gratton to the Flyers by declining to match a $16.5 million offer sheet he signed last week, and then obtained right wing Mikael Renberg and defenseman Karl Dykhuis from Philadelphia.

The Flyers traded Renberg and Dykhuis for four first-round draft picks -- the ones they had just sent to the Lightning as compensation for signing Gratton.

Reactions: Hampe and Tarantula

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Unfortunately I don't have many documentary sources available. The almost-Bondra deal was reported at the time in the Montreal Gazette which I might be able to find through online archives. I'm not sure who might have been going the other way but the deal didn't happen because Bondra started scoring again after only getting 21 goals the previous season. As for Pavel Bure, I recall the Habs reportedly offered Mark Recchi, Vladimir Malakhov and possibly Mathieu Garon but Vancouver wanted the younger Koivu instead of Recchi which killed the deal because even then the Habs were thin at center. Again the local sports section is my source, if I find the article I'll post it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Esposito addressed that Gratton saga in his book. I think he would admit that the "smudged fax" was basically a hail mary that he didn't expect to come through.

Esposito was in a tough spot at that point in 1997. The franchise was put on sale for a year with no buyers, and thus had next to no financial support from the mystery Japanese group which owned it. Tampa had made the playoffs in 1996 (and missed by 3 points in 1997), so perhaps Esposito's ego/competitiveness thought that he could get them back in 1997-98.

So he made the short sighted decision that he needed some players in return for Gratton rather than just take the draft picks. In the book, Esposito also makes some dubious claims the Flyers owner Ed Snider went over Esposito's head for the Renberg/Dykhuis trade and Esposito was forced to take it. If I recall correctly, Esposito said that the original trade was supposed to include Rod Brind'Amour as well.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I wish I could remember the source, but the rumor was Shanahan to the Rangers for Kovalev and either Beukeboom or Matteau. Keenan had pretty much just settled in with St Louis, and it was said he grew impatient with the Rangers front office regarding the supposed trade and ended up making the deal to get Pronger.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Guys I read this from a book only once and wondered if anyone else heard this, in 94 near the trade deadline I read the Wings could've gotten Grant Fuhr in exchange for Keith Primeau and Bob Essensa...

It must have been Keith Primeau and Tim Cheveldae, not Keith Primeau and Bob Essensa.

The Wings dealt Cheveldae that deadline to acquire Essensa. Essensa sounds like the Plan B when they couldn't land Fuhr.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wish I could remember the source, but the rumor was Shanahan to the Rangers for Kovalev and either Beukeboom or Matteau. Keenan had pretty much just settled in with St Louis, and it was said he grew impatient with the Rangers front office regarding the supposed trade and ended up making the deal to get Pronger.

KOVALEV STAYS FOR NOW
Trading Alexei Kovalev apparently is as impossible as figuring him out. For the fourth time in his tumultuous Rangers career, Kovalev yesterday dodged a trade bullet when the team to which he was going made another deal instead.

The Edmonton Oilers were that team and a proposed swap of Kovalev and defenseman Eric Cairns for strapping foward Jason Arnott and another player, believed to be defenseman Drew Bannister, was put on hold indefinitely when Edmonton GM Glen Sather made a five-player deal that included sending defenseman Bryan Marchment to Tampa Bay for defenseman Roman Hamrlik.

According to sources in Edmonton, Sather now wants to see his struggling team play a few games to determine whether that one deal which also involves Edmonton getting the rights to U. of Denver center Paul Comrie, an unsigned 1996 draft pick was enough to get it going.

Which once again leaves Rangers general manager Neil Smith still in possession of Kovalev at least for the time being after he all but agreed to deal him. Those scoring at home might recall that Kovalev was included in the 1992 package traded to Quebec for Eric Lindros in a deal that subsequently was voided by an arbitrator.

Two seasons later, he would have been dealt to Vancouver for holdout Petr Nedved but the Rangers couldn't reach agreement on a contract with Nedved, scuttling the deal.

Finally, in the summer of 1995, Kovalev and winger Stephane Matteau were set to be shipped to St. Louis for Brendan Shanahan, only to have that deal fall through when then-Blues GM Mike Keenan angrily sent Shanahan to Hartford because he was unwilling to wait for the Garden hierarchy to approve the money end of the deal.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Thanks Ziggy! Kovalev was much more 'sought after' then I realized, one of the Rangers that seemed to be promiscuosly mentioned in alot of trade rumors, Savard, Dube, Sundstrom, Norstrom, Zubov, and Cloutier being the others.
I think the proposed deal for Shanahan would've been a great deal for both teams, Rangers get a guy that could've made a difference in the East that had some tough teams with size especially come playoff time. Kovalev would've brought some nice offense to the Blues, and as enigmatic as he was perhaps he could've changed the Blues fate with guys like Gretzky, Hull, Hawerchuk, Corson, G. Courtnall. Matteau would bring his experience to a team that had 'Keenan' kind of players; Creighton, Noonan, Anderson, Zezel and Hudson. Maybe St. Louis has better success.
Where Pronger would've ended up I don't know.
Thanks again, I saw it recently but couldn't find it. Cheers.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->