Bigger Talent: Ronaldo "El Fenomeno" or Mbappe?

Who is the bigger talent?

• Total voters

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Putting Maradona in a tier below Platini and Beckenbauer might be the most ridiculous take I've ever seen on this website lmao.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I don’t think it’s that ridiculous. He’s a great player but probably the most overrated player of all time imo.
He almost singlehandedly carried Napoli to two Scudettos and a UFA cup. To say that Platini and Beckenbauer are THAT much better than him is ridiculous. Sure, you can argue that they were better (I disagree) but to put them in a different tier is ridiculous.

Also, MvB would have likely gone down as the GOAT #9 if it wasn't for his exploding knees. It's a shame he had to retire in his prime.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He almost singlehandedly carried Napoli to two Scudettos and a UFA cup. To say that Platini and Beckenbauer are THAT much better than him is ridiculous. Sure, you can argue that they were better (I disagree) but to put them in a different tier is ridiculous.

Also, MvB would have likely gone down as the GOAT #9 if it wasn't for his exploding knees. It's a shame he had to retire in his prime.
How many Maradona games have you seen?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Well the fact that Maradona only had 2 seasons with 15 goals or more definitely plays a part in that.

Platini has plenty of 20+goal seasons as well as one of the best international tournaments of all time.

And Beckenbauer is one of/if not the best CB’s of all time and arguably one of the most revolutionary players of all time.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How many Pele games have you seen? You put him in a tier above Maradona.
Plenty on tape. His achievements also are absolutely uncomparable.

So I repeat : you discredit my Maradona opinion, so please enlighten us, how many Maradona games have you seen?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Well the fact that Maradona only had 2 seasons with 15 goals or more definitely plays a part in that.

Platini has plenty of 20+goal seasons as well as one of the best international tournaments of all time.

And Beckenbauer is one of/if not the best CB’s of all time and arguably one of the most revolutionary players of all time.
There's more to judging players than just goals. Platini's Juve team (which consisted of almost every player in the 82 World Cup winning squad) was much stronger than the Napoli team Maradona played in. Breaking the northern dominance of the Serie A is nothing to scoff at. There's a reason why he's revered as a God in Napoli.
Plenty on tape. His achievements also are absolutely uncomparable.

So I repeat : you discredit my Maradona opinion, so please enlighten us, how many Maradona games have you seen?
All of his 82, 86, and 90 World Cup games and a couple of his games with Napoli.

The people who watched him regularly rate him above Platini. Try to find a poll of journalists/former players that ranks him below Platini. You won't be able to. I'd have no qualms if you argued that Platini was better but putting them in a different tier is ridiculous.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There's more to judging players than just goals. Platini's Juve team (which consisted of almost every player in the 82 World Cup winning squad) was much stronger than the Napoli team Maradona played in. Breaking the northern dominance of the Serie A is nothing to scoff at. There's a reason why he's revered as a God in Napoli.

Of course there’s more to it than goals. But Platini played a similar position and considerably outscored on a consistent basis. No one here will deny his natural talent, because he’s arguably the most naturally gifted player ever, but he didn’t quite hit the heights he could’ve. He had a great peak but I just don’t think he quite had the longevity of other all timers.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
not sure what's so funny about that. It's his opinion , and it's an opinion not remotely unique to him. I really don't think it's in the realm of "lol".

Disagree if you want, but 'lol' worthy? Nah.

R9's (albeit short lived) peak was something supremely special. At his best, I've never seen anything like it. And many would agree.

In the modern era, I havent seen any forward dominate world cups quite like him either.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

All of his 82, 86, and 90 World Cup games and a couple of his games with Napoli.

The people who watched him regularly rate him above Platini. Try to find a poll of journalists/former players that ranks him below Platini. You won't be able to. I'd have no qualms if you argued that Platini was better but putting them in a different tier is ridiculous.
82 WC? Really?
Wow, you're at least as old as I am then. That's not a compliment :D

Maradona is possibly the most talented player to play football. Nobody's denying that. But he didn't use his talents with consistency. There have been so many threads on this, I won't continue here. Take a look at HFboards post history if you feel like it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In the modern era, I havent seen any forward dominate world cups quite like him either.
Yeah and Platini dominated the 82 EC like nobody ever had and nobody ever will (possibly). In a tougher tournament than a WC.
Maradona didn't dominate the 90 WC BTW.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Maradona had some high peaks (best tournament of all time, and on the biggest stage) - and that's exactly why he's rated as high as he is.
Overrated by your average football fan, IMO.

His club career left much to be desired. He did have a few great years at Napoli, but by the time they were champions he already had a decent support cast, people just seem to leave that out, deliberately or not. He was great, but far from playing alone or anything like that.
The team that won their second title had Maradona, Careca, Alemao and a bunch of players who were playing for the Italian NT (Ciro Ferrara, Carnevale, Crippa etc.). Even an emerging Zola.

Either way, he never won the EC, and outside of those 3-4 years his club career is basically incomparable to other footballers he's usually compared to - Cruyff, Platini, Beckenbauer, etc.

Maradona name has a magical ring to it. It's one of the first names any football fan learns and it became a myth.

But when someone says Platini had a better career... I don't necessarily have a problem with that. In fact, I'd take Platini over Maradona myself.

Reactions: gary69

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
82 WC? Really?
Wow, you're at least as old as I am then. That's not a compliment :D

Maradona is possibly the most talented player to play football. Nobody's denying that. But he didn't use his talents with consistency. There have been so many threads on this, I won't continue here. Take a look at HFboards post history if you feel like it.
I didn't watch it as it happened hahaha.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
And you never will again. That doesn't mean he was the best player ever. Times they are a changing.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah and Platini dominated the 82 EC like nobody ever had and nobody ever will (possibly). In a tougher tournament than a WC.
Maradona didn't dominate the 90 WC BTW.

Wait, did you just suggest EC was ever a tougher tournament than WC? Does not sit too well with me. Most players will assure you that World Cup is on another level in terms of competition.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Wait, did you just suggest EC was ever a tougher tournament than WC? Does not sit too well with me. Most players will assure you that World Cup is on another level in terms of competition.

There’s less bad teams in a Euro tbf. World cup is far more prestigious though.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Talent-wise it's hard to find someone better than Ronaldo. He was like a Neymar + Cristiano Ronaldo crossover. Mbappé is faster and maybe a better finisher, but he can't touch Ronaldo dribbling and creativity yet. Ronaldo could dribble past half a team to score while Mbappé probably can outrun half a team if given the space (like against Argentina). Anyway, comparing Ronaldo's seasons to Messi and CR7 is unfair given the supporting cast Messi and CR7 had at Barça and Madrid compared to Ronaldo at Inter then Barça, imo.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
There’s less bad teams in a Euro tbf. World cup is far more prestigious though.

Bad teams like Greece that end up winning it, which has not happened at a WC yet?

You might as well say there are fewer good teams too.

World Cup is way more prestigious because it's way harder to win. It's way harder to qualify for, let alone winning it. It has always been and it always will be.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's more prestigious (because quite logically it's worldwide), but there's really no argument that the former EC format, with WC/EC champs in the same groups was much more tougher to win than the WC.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I guess that comparison is up to Mbappes current age. Messi was not a regular starter until 20 (plus the injuries) and he played in a worse team than the current PSG has.
Regardless those stats just demonstrate that Mbappe is a phenom.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappe's numbers include his Monaco days.

Obviously doesn't mean Mbappe is better than Messi, but he torches it at the same age.
People should remember that when they compare him to Ronaldo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->