Bigger shock: Washington/Montreal in 09/10 vs Tampa/Columbus now

Bigger shock: Washington/Montreal in 09/10 vs Tampa/Columbus now

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Tampa lost 1st match, and currently loosing 2nd one. It got me thinking. What would you say would be a bigger shock: when Caps lost to Montreal in 09/10 or if Tampa looses to Columbus now.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Washington lost to Halak, his performance was the best performance I've ever seen by a goalie for a playoff series...just a ridiculous level he reached

Tampa is getting absolutely demolished and has unraveled before our eyes, they're the bigger shock

Reactions: authentic

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Tampa because they're gettting completely pummeled. Washington vastly outplayed Montreal but got beat by a historic goalie performance.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I'm suprised but not suprised. Bolts have not had a meaningful game for a while. Jackets have been playing playoff hockey for weeks now. They are 100% more prepared than the Bolts

Reactions: DEVILS130

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Still the Capitals. The Lightning are playing with 1 line and might actually be better with an empty net. The Capitals were bettered by a single player and the Lightning have like 9 guys with problems right now.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
The bigger shock would be Tampa getting 4-0'd, but the bigger upset was Montreal beating Washington after getting dominated for the majority of the series. Simply put, Montreal had no business making it to the next round vs Washington, whereas Columbus despite some poor play prior to the playoffs was all in this season with some pretty solid talent. In years past Columbus looked poised to be the next top 10 team that had a mix of skill, speed, youth, and grinding that was intimidating. Not sure what happened in the previous years for them to sag in that development, but it sounds like they're looking pretty good right now.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I feel like most people paying attention knew that while the 2010 Capitals were offensive juggernauts, they were hardly the most complete team in all areas.

Tampa has been great top to bottom all season. Some of their underlying numbers aren't as good as their box score stats, but for the most part, they've been pretty damn unimpeachable.

So for a team that was stumbling up til the last 2 weeks of the season to just dummy them is much more surprising to me.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Tampa.

The Caps didn't score goals, but it wasn't for a lack of effort. They did everything but put the puck in the net.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I think Tampa is clearly the bigger shook but with that being said Columbus is not your typical 8 seed. Most teams battling for the 8 seed don't add the quality of players they did near the deadline. Add to that they have one of the best goalies in the world and they're pretty scary team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Closest comparable IMO is Detroit - Edmonton 2006.

This series has a 30 point gap, that one had a 29 point gap.

But that series went 6 games.

Red Wings in 2006 were also comparatively dominant like Tampa was, both had great offensive depth and were not that far removed from the finals (2015, 2002). 2006 DET team had 6 or 7 guys with 50+ points.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
There was something about that Caps team that I remember saying to myself that they were prime-upset material.

Tampa easily, I did not see this coming as did many of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->