Bigger Problem: Forwards or Defensemen?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think forwards but only due to the injuries. If Hartnell were healthy I think the team would be getting into more of a groove. I know the team wasn't exactly lighting it up with him out there, but given time I think his presence would help jump start the offense. Not necessarily turn them into the Wayne Gretzky Oilers days, but would help in terms of scoring for the time being.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
We have a team full of Grinders and two way forwards, one legit #1 forward, who is a playmaker that has no one finish anything off anymore. We have great centre depth but terrible depth on the wing, we need to move one of our centres and get a legit Sniper who can work with Giroux.

Or D problem is essentially that Foster/Lilja are garbage, and we need a guy who can QB. PP and is willing to shoot rather than pass 50 times.

Who are all these 2-way forwards? Couturier, Hartnell, and ???

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I'm not moved by the assessment that the current group of defensemen is "doing well so far".

The talent level of that group is what it is: sub par. No one's having a huge breakout or resurgence season, so even if they really are doing that well you should chalk it up to good luck and not expect it to last.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Who are all these 2-way forwards? Couturier, Hartnell, and ???

They have a lot of guys that would fit in more of defensive system if they were asked to do it. They play for a coach that pushes a heavy attack. It's only natural that some of these guys are going to look bad defensively at times when that's the case. The only atrocious defensive forward they have is Briere. Simmonds isn't great, but he was commended for being very responsible defensively in LA.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Briere has actually been much improved on defense this year. He just can't create offense at even strength, unless the ideal situation develops.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Well he's playing wing. It's a double-edged sword really. Do you want more offensive production from him? If so, then play him at center where he's more comfortable, but it'll be a trainwreck in the defensive zone.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The d are responsible to help out with the transition game and helping scoring with shots from the point. So they're very much part of the scoring problem.

Overall this roster just isn't well made.

rban*

I've always felt that tho the loss to NJ last PO was laid at the feet of Bryz and the defense, Bryz and the D cannot answer the question as to why the forwards couldnt score more than 2-3 goals a game.

In fact watching that whole series, I saw NJ having to expend tremendous effort (and excessive exhausting effort IMO) to score goals against Philly.

It's just that Philly couldnt score at all themselves!

AND that was with, in addition to existing forwards, Jagr and JVR as well.

There is a problem with our scoring, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad