OT: Bigger franchise changing move

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
That wasn't really a 'move' that involved moving pieces.

I mentioned it because of the high risk involved with trying to draft Bure in regards to both his actual draft eligibility as well as his being in the USSR. It wasn't like drafting say, Trevor Linden.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I mentioned it because of the high risk involved with trying to draft Bure in regards to both his actual draft eligibility as well as his being in the USSR. It wasn't like drafting say, Trevor Linden.

And it was a 6th round pick, not like they used a lottery pick to draft him. There was no risk at all.

The Overseer*

Most franchise changing move:

Trevor Linden

for

Bryan McCabe (1 Sedin)
Todd Bertuzzi (Luongo)
Jarkko Ruutu (years of entertainment)

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Most franchise changing move:

Trevor Linden

for

Bryan McCabe (1 Sedin)
Todd Bertuzzi (Luongo)
Jarkko Ruutu (years of entertainment)

Ding ding ding.

The Linden trade is horrendously under-appreciated. Immense value for one player, and it keeps on giving. And who knows, perhaps if Luongo's contract ever becomes moveable again it will give some more.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Luongo trade made the more immediate impact. The fan base has been so spoiled for so long, some seem to have forgotten the bad old days of Cloutier, Auld, F Potvin etc. Goaltending cost them a conference finals appearance in '02-'03, and a major upset in the making against a powerhouse Red Wings team.

The Sedin's were 2nd liners or 1st line tweeners until they were UFA eligible and broke out. It could be argued that MG's first contract to the Sedins was a larger impact than their actual draft.

Masterchief

Dec 3, 2012
how about the one that brought Momesso, Ronning, Courtnall and Dirk. That was a beauty playoff run.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Drafting Linden.

Anyway of the choices presented, Luongo had the most immediate impact. Those goalie graveyard years were unbearable. Plus, without Louie, Schneider would probably wouldn't have gotten all the years to hone his craft in college and the minors. We could still struggling to fill that hole.

Sedins, OTOH, man can you imagine if we'd gotten stuck with any of those other journeymen, bums and disappointments that rounded out the top 10 players in the 1999 draft? There would have been some serious rebuilding years once the WCE years were done.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Of the choices, I say the Sedins. This organization goes **** all nowhere without hem.

Their draft is the ONLY draft I have ever specifically woken up early for (back in the Saturday morning days) to watch.

When Burke said he was drafting the Sedins and Bettman announced the trades it was like Christmas morning.

That's not a disrespect to Luongo at all; it's just they have had a bigger overall impact.

For other trades, I'd say easily the Linden trade for what it brought AINEC IMO.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Thanks for all the responses guys. I know there have been several moves by this franchise that have made an impact but I was more curious about what you all thought of the two moves I mentioned specifically.

I still can't decide myself. There are good arguments for both. I do think the Luongo trade was almost a mirror image of the Joe Thornton trade in that Luongo was a star who immediately turned the organization in a new direction and was by far the best we've ever seen in a Canucks jersey at his position.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Drafting the Sedins.

Auld was doing pretty well at the time before we got Luonogo and i think most of us thought we could run with Auld at the time.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hiring Brian Burke instead of Mike Gillis back in 1998. We would have had our first Stanley by now if we hired Gillis back then instead of Burke.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Hiring Brian Burke instead of Mike Gillis back in 1998. We would have had our first Stanley by now if we hired Gillis back then instead of Burke.

Gillis would not have had the balls to pull off the Sedin deals.

We have had Patrick Stefan or Pavel Brendl instead.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Gillis would not have had the balls to pull off the Sedin deals.

We have had Patrick Stefan or Pavel Brendl instead.

Actually no, we probably wouldn't finish that low in 99, make the playoffs in 2000, and probably won the cup in 2004 or 2003.

Not sure why the hate on Mike Gillis. His Record speaks for itself despite some questionable moves he made during his time here.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Actually no, we probably wouldn't finish that low in 99, make the playoffs in 2000, and probably won the cup in 2004 or 2003.

Not sure why the hate on Mike Gillis. His Record speaks for itself despite some questionable moves he made during his time here.

There is no hate for Gillis at all.

The coaching carousel in that period, along with "chip?" Mark Messier rendered that team useless.

We would have had one pick in the 1999 draft. Maybe they draft ONE Sedin, maybe not.

So you have half of the dynamic duo.

The team shat the bed in 2003 and got screwed over in 2004.

Cannot say that "we would have won a cup" because of Burke; because of him we had a great entertaining team.

The only thing he didn't do was get a ****ing goalie.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
I would definitely go with the Luongo trade here. This trade saved us from becoming a bottom of the barrel lottery pick contending team that we would have been post WCE. Luongo completely carried this team from 2007-2009. And I would go as far to say that if Luongo wasn't acquired the Sedins wouldn't have re-signed with the team in 2009, they would be currently wearing Toronto Maple Leafs sweaters and Brian Burke would still be the GM of the Leafs.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This is an interesting question.
It is hard to say.

While the Sedins showed flashes of brilliance...
Especially that 4 goal game against Detroit before the lockout...
They really did not break out...
Until after the lockout.

The Luongo trade...
However...
Finally quashed the idea of a goalie graveyard...
And took a team in the lottery...
Towards a division title.
The immediate impact was obvious.

The arrival of the Sedins...
Though...
Coincided with the emergence of the West Coast Express...
And the beginning of a decade plus of good-to-great hockey.
Luongo came in the middle of this period.

I think I will have to say drafting of the Sedins made for a bigger impact...
Because it showed that there is finally a competent GM...
And he is creative enough...
To change the fortune of the team.

However...
In terms of player performance...
It had to be Luongo trade.
He was part of the philosophy change...
That the team had to be built...
From the net out.
The team changed from an offensive-minded team...
To a defensive-minded one...
Upon his arrival.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Luongo trade had the most immediate impact on the organization. Completely changed the way the team played and we got a piece that we desperately needed. The game and the players have changed a lot...even since 2006. Now, it seems like the difference between the league's best goalie and a no-name from Europe seems almost unnoticeable, and perhaps the biggest difference is consistency. However, even just 1 extra save every couple of games makes a huge difference, and in 06-07 we saw what a huge difference vezina-calibre vs. below average goaltending made even with an arguably less talented team after losing Bert. He may not seem as important to the team now, but it can't be discounted that Luongo was probably most instrumental in establishing a winning culture here when the team was transitioning away from the WCE/Crawford days.

The Sedins are probably more important to the team now, but that trade wasn't really franchise altering immediately...as they really didn't blossom until after the lockout.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I would definitely go with the Luongo trade here. This trade saved us from becoming a bottom of the barrel lottery pick contending team that we would have been post WCE. Luongo completely carried this team from 2007-2009. And I would go as far to say that if Luongo wasn't acquired the Sedins wouldn't have re-signed with the team in 2009, they would be currently wearing Toronto Maple Leafs sweaters and Brian Burke would still be the GM of the Leafs.

Even if Luongo is not acquired...
There are still pieces...
And trade pieces...
Here...
And Luongo's cap space would have been used for something else.
Plus...
Noronen would probably still be in the NHL...
And who knows how he would have done...
Though I only see a slight improvement on Cloutier.

There are just too many variables to foresee the fate of the Canucks sans Luongo...
But the team would not be a bottom of the league team.
My best guess is that...
The team would be a middling team...
That could fall into the end of the lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad