OT: Bigger franchise changing move

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I was watching a video on Youtube about the Joe Thornton trade back in 2005 and it got me thinking about some of the franchise changing moves in our team's history. What do you guys feel was the bigger franchise changing move for the Canucks?

Brian Burke working his magic at the draft table to draft both Sedins in 1999.

or

Dave Nonis trade for Roberto Luongo in 2006.

Discuss. I don't have my personal answer yet because I'm so torn.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
I was watching a video on Youtube about the Joe Thornton trade back in 2005 and it got me thinking about some of the franchise changing moves in our team's history. What do you guys feel was the bigger franchise changing move for the Canucks?

Brian Burke working his magic at the draft table to draft both Sedins in 1999.

or

Dave Nonis trade for Roberto Luongo in 2006.

Discuss. I don't have my personal answer yet because I'm so torn.

Sedins

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
I lean towards Luongo, because he replaced Cloutier/Auld and ended the goalie graveyard.

Even if we never had the Sedins we still would have had the WCE.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
I don't know that drafting the twins really changed the franchise at the time. Over time yeah, it has paid off more than we could have imagined, but in terms of immediate franchise-changing impact, I'd go with Luongo.

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
I'd say Luongo. No doubt the Sedin transaction is one of, if not THE most important trades in franchise history, but Luongo is more comparable to the JT trade in terms of immediate change.

Luongo coming in moved us from a team struggling out of the WCE era to a team with a franchise goaltender alongside the development of many depth players (Kes, Burr, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa) and the emergence of the Sedins as first line players. Without Lu, the Canucks remain a mediocre team that struggles under such great netminders as Auld regardless of how our forwards developed.

Without that trade at that point in time, do we see the core responsible for the cup run stay together or do some of them get dealt for more picks or other players? If the team was tanking without Luongo to carry it in 06/07, maybe it does.

Just my $.02 :)

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Interesting query Nux.

One I don't think I could answer... not without changing my mind several times after afterwards anyways.

Your avatar makes no sense.

Henrik and Daniel aren't Canadian, they're Swedish.

Worse, Terrance and Phillip aren't twins. They're not even brothers! Their full names are Terrance Henry Stoot, of Toronto, and Phillip Niles Argyle, of Montreal. They met at the Canadian School for Gifted Babies.

The more you know.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Your avatar makes no sense.

Henrik and Daniel aren't Canadian, they're Swedish.

Worse, Terrance and Phillip aren't twins. They're not even brothers! Their full names are Terrance Henry Stoot, of Toronto, and Phillip Niles Argyle, of Montreal. They met at the Canadian School for Gifted Babies.

The more you know.

:laugh:

Some Islander fan made it for their GDT when we played them a short while back. I asked if I could use it.

Just for dissing it I'm going to give you head cancer.....

Last edited:

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Good question.

I say Luongo easily. 6 divisional titles in 7 years, 1 SCF berth, 2 Presidents' trophies, led the league in GA once... all happened after the Luongo trade. Missed the playoffs once.

Sedins had 7 divisional titles in 13 years, 1 SCF berth, 2 Presidents' trophies, led the league in goal scoring once... all happened after the Sedins started playing. Missed the playoffs twice.

The Sedins' body of work is extremely impressive but Luongo's is more impressive because we've accomplished more in a shorter amount of time. You can say it's because we got Luongo in his prime and we had the Sedins since they were rookies but that's basically what is being asked here: which move changed the franchise more? That is easily Luongo.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Drafting the Sedins. When the Canucks traded for Luongo they already had Schneider in the system and assuming he still would've developed would still have an elite goaltender today. Without the Sedins, the Canucks are screwed. Now there's always the argument that maybe Schneids doesn't develop properly without Luongo here, but the talent was always there and I think he would've developed regardless if he was brought along slowly or not.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Good question.

I say Luongo easily. 6 divisional titles in 7 years, 1 SCF berth, 2 Presidents' trophies, led the league in GA once... all happened after the Luongo trade. Missed the playoffs once.

Sedins had 7 divisional titles in 13 years, 1 SCF berth, 2 Presidents' trophies, led the league in goal scoring once... all happened after the Sedins started playing. Missed the playoffs twice.

The Sedins' body of work is extremely impressive but Luongo's is more impressive because we've accomplished more in a shorter amount of time. You can say it's because we got Luongo in his prime and we had the Sedins since they were rookies but that's basically what is being asked here: which move changed the franchise more? That is easily Luongo.

There is a rather large hole in your logic.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Good question.

:facepalm:

Sedins... Lu was great, especially in his early years here, but those were wasted on such a crap roster we had..

If we didn't have Lu, we could've tanked and gotten some better draft picks, still brought up Schneids eventually, moved Bertuzzi for a 1st, 2nd, depth player or something, and probably be in better shape today and for the future

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hard decision. Burke drafted essentially our two best forwards we've ever had vs. Nonis getting us out of the goalie graveyard. Up until that point our best goalie was Captain Kirk, aside from a couple good seasons from Brodeur and Suitcase.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If we didn't have Lu, we could've gotten some better draft picks, still brought up Schneids eventually, moved Bertuzzi for a 1st, 2nd, depth player or something, and probably be in better shape today and for the future

I don't know. Coming off a disappointing season for the Canucks, Bert's value was pretty damn low around the league. Good thing Keenan handled Luongo negotiation horribly and he had a mancrush on Bertuzzi, otherwise those are some bleak couple of years ahead there.

But hey, maybe we would have signed Belfour?

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
sedins by a country mile. luongo's an all-star goaltender but there are other all-star goalies and there's a huge chance we'd have seen epic netminding seasons from unexpected places, had the team's course run differently.

the sedins - a unique force in ice hockey - have defined the nucks for a generation of fans. without them, who knows where we'd be right now? probably suffering at the hands of some club who had the sedins.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The question is "bigger franchise changing move" so there really is no comparison. The Lu trade immediately turned this franchise into a legitimate contender and it has been ever since. I think people forget just how bad our goaltending was prior to Luongo coming here. The Sedin's took YEARS to develop into front line key players and even once they arrived we were still barely a playoff team. The Lu deal was instant. It is no comparison from my end.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
The question is "bigger franchise changing move" so there really is no comparison. The Lu trade immediately turned this franchise into a legitimate contender and it has been ever since. I think people forget just how bad our goaltending was prior to Luongo coming here. The Sedin's took YEARS to develop into front line key players and even once they arrived we were still barely a playoff team. The Lu deal was instant. It is no comparison from my end.

Yes. But we already had the Sedins. We needed both A & B to become a contender, but you can't argue that B was more important than A just because it came after. If the Sedins weren't already here, the Luongo trade would not have turned us into a contender.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
What do you guys feel was the bigger franchise changing move for the Canucks?
In terms of negative impact:

Biggest was losing the "spin of the wheel" back in 1970. Set the franchise back for more than a decade - at this was at the beginning!

FlyingSkate

Sep 17, 2012
Without that trade at that point in time, do we see the core responsible for the cup run stay together or do some of them get dealt for more picks or other players? If the team was tanking without Luongo to carry it in 06/07, maybe it does.

Yeah, we'll never know what would have happened to the core, we can't predict what would have been.

Good question.

I don't think it's "easily Luongo," or even him at all. The bolded is explains exactly why your reasoning is unfair. How can you count developmental years, when the twins were in their early 20s, and then only take into account Lu's prime years? Also, the teams were completely different in the years the Sedins were here while Lu wasn't.

If the question were "biggest immediate impact" then there would be no comparison, it would be Luongo. Do you think this team would have been a playoff team with Luongo, but without the twins? I highly doubt it. Missing your top two scorers ever since Lu has been here would make it incredibly different, and they've been nearly point-a-game players since the 05-06 season.

PokerPig

Jan 10, 2009
Burnaby, BC
Without the Linden trade we might not have Roberto OR the Twins..

So i'd vote "The Messier Era" as gross as it was..

I know, I know... "who"? :D

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Drafting the Sedins. When the Canucks traded for Luongo they already had Schneider in the system and assuming he still would've developed would still have an elite goaltender today. Without the Sedins, the Canucks are screwed. Now there's always the argument that maybe Schneids doesn't develop properly without Luongo here, but the talent was always there and I think he would've developed regardless if he was brought along slowly or not.

I don't think he would have developed as well. With Luongo here it really allowed Schneider to really polish his game.

I would have to go with the Sedins simply because the rest of the 99 draft was pretty ******.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->