Player Discussion Bigger Bust- McIlrath or Jessiman?

Bigger Bust?

• Total voters

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I mean everything. The only advanced stat for lower levels that I really put much attention on is primary points.But even then, you need to put so much focus on the age of the prospect, whether he is D+1 or D+2, etc. And even when you have a fair D+1 v. D+1 comparison, you then need to focus on their age and body development.

There are way too many factors when dealing with guys under 21 that are still growing.

You nailed it.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Iginla and a 1st rounder? What did the Rangers have that could get them that? Wasn't Iginla already a star?

Salary relief ability, money and they were looking at swapping picks. They were gonna hand everything to them. Lundmark, Blackburn (before the injury) Tyutin, their 1st were all believed to be apart of it from what I was told and then some.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I wasn't around here back in the day but I feel like this is a pretty under-talked about pick.

A 6th overall goalie who played 0 games for the Rangers.

I HATED that pick. I HATE taking goalies in the first round. One at 6OA. I could never come to grips with that pick. As for 2010, I was certain they were taking Tarasenko. Just awful. But passing on Getzlaf for Jessiman forever altered the fortunes of this team.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
2003 for sure. In a draft where the AVERAGE 1st-round pick played 674 NHL games and scored 380 career points (excluding MAF), it is probably harder the pick the guy with 2 games and no points than it would be to pick 50 coin flips in a row. How do you miss so badly on a generational draft class?!?! Only the Rangers.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
2003 for sure. In a draft where the AVERAGE 1st-round pick played 674 NHL games and scored 380 career points (excluding MAF), it is probably harder the pick the guy with 2 games and no points than it would be to pick 50 coin flips in a row. How do you miss so badly on a generational draft class?!?! Only the Rangers.
And that's why it remains the worst Rangers pick/bust by far. And there have been many. Which helps to explain 1 Cup in 78 years.

Reactions: Gresch04

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
McIlrath wasn't really a bust in terms of what he was supposed to become. It was just a very bad decision to pick him up at #10 when there were many options available at that time that blew him away.

When Fowler dropped, I was almost certain we were getting him. I was shocked when they grabbed McIlrath instead.

It sucks because as bad as Fowler is, it would have alleviated the need to extend Marc Staal and there would be one less anchor on the team.

Just a stupid pick altogether.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
this mcilrath fellow intrigues me. can anyone help ?

was he a reach pick or something.... see now im curious. :laugh:
Still not really a reach. He was picked in the general area of where he was projected. Not really different than Lias Andersson in that regard. He was just a bad pick. Not a reach, though. If we didn't make the bad pick someone else very close to us would have.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Wasn't Maloney in charge of the jessiman pick?

That guy suuuccckkkeeedddd at drafting.

The Jessiman pick was ALL on Don Maloney. He had watched Jessiman play hockey as he grew up and thought he had the inside scoop.

I remember taking my son to some Ranger event when he was 5 or 6. He got Jessiman and Montoya to sign his jersey. Only saving grace was Gilbert also signed it.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The Jessiman pick was ALL on Don Maloney. He had watched Jessiman play hockey as he grew up and thought he had the inside scoop.

I remember taking my son to some Ranger event when he was 5 or 6. He got Jessiman and Montoya to sign his jersey. Only saving grace was Gilbert also signed it.
Gottfried?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Oddly enough, the Montoya pick annoyed me more than either Jessiman or McIlrath.

Forget failing to live up to expectations, I am still trying to figure out when Montoya turned into Neil Smith.

upload_2018-3-26_21-29-29.jpeg
general-manager-neil-smith-of-the-new-york-rangers-looks-on-during-picture-id137509805

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
It's tough because Jessiman was in an absolutely loaded draft class. I mean everyone in the first round appeared in an NHL game, I believe. That's crazy.

We chose McIlrath over guys like Tarasenko and Fowler. So basically, both players equally busted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->