Big12 reups with ESPN, FOX for $2.2+B

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If the Big 12 adds more schools in 2025 they should negotiate to increase the value of this deal to accommodate each additional school.
There is probably language in the contract that allows for a re-negotiation if they add additional schools.

Race is on now to see what the PAC gets, did not figure this one would get done first... also having a hard time seeing the PAC matching this without USC and UCLA but if it's close enough you probably won't see any movement.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
There is probably language in the contract that allows for a re-negotiation if they add additional schools.

Race is on now to see what the PAC gets, did not figure this one would get done first... also having a hard time seeing the PAC matching this without USC and UCLA but if it's close enough you probably won't see any movement.
I'd like the Big 12 to add Boise State, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple and Tulane. This would bring in additional major markets and make SMU-TCU a conference game again, ideally being played on Black Friday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington. The Pac-12 will likely also raid the MW, with Colorado State and San Diego State being my preferences. I also would like to see a 4th current MW member, Air Force, change its primary conference to the Patriot League to align them with Army and Navy, which would require them to go independent in football. The MW would likely raid the Big Sky In the face of these departures, with Eastern Washington, Montana, Montana State, and Sacramento State my favorites to make the jump. Seattle can join the MW as a non-football member to offset Hawaii being football-only, as well as to gain the Seattle market.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The deal is also up sooner than the Big Ten and SEC, so to me that means they feel they have good reason to get a bigger deal sooner than later.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I would also consider an 18-team Big 12 to have too much inventory for just the Fox and ESPN networks. I could see a sub-licensing arrangement, possibly with CBS, with both the broadcast network and Paramount Network airing Big 12 football and basketball games under this arrangement. Some non-conference games against non-Power 5 opponents could also stream on Paramount+.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I would also consider an 18-team Big 12 to have too much inventory for just the Fox and ESPN networks. I could see a sub-licensing arrangement, possibly with CBS, with both the broadcast network and Paramount Network airing Big 12 football and basketball games under this arrangement. Some non-conference games against non-Power 5 opponents could also stream on Paramount+.
How many teams is too many? Some conferences are already losing traditional rivalry games and scheduling becomes a pain in the rump. Traditional ACC teams play out of conference games vs each other now.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Well, I'm proposing a rollback in conference games to 7 across the entire Power 5 and in the American and MW to go along with all my proposed realignment moves in FBS.

One, it would allow the preservation of some of the bigger rivalries that would otherwise be lost to realignment.

For the ACC, it would lead them to a conference schedule format of 4 protected opponents and 3 rotating opponents on a 6-year schedule. Two groups of four teams would be protected - Tobacco Road and the former classic Big East teams not named Virginia Tech. Each of these 8 teams would have one other protected opponent, with notable matchups including Clemson-NC State, Florida State-Miami, and North Carolina-Virginia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad