Confirmed with Link: Big Z (Zdeno Chara) signed to 1 year, $795,000 deal

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I don’t think they are down on Jensen. I think they wanted more depth, and this COVID year has created opportunities that one wouldn’t usually expect.

So they are taking advantage of it.
Oh, I agree. I was just addressing some of these media generated line projections that didn’t include Jensen. I’m just saying, hypothetically, even if they were down on Jensen to the point they actually wanted to bench him to start the season, then I would think it would make more sense to trade him at that point, because it will only become harder to trade him if he becomes a regular on the Nacho line. And with that cap hit for three more seasons, that would be pretty rough. That being said, I believe Jensen will start the season on the bottom pair with Chara. What’s more, I think Jensen will receive the second most PK minutes per game, for a defender on the Caps, after Chara. I think it’s quite possible he will be the first replacement on the right side for defensemen as well.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The 3rd pair being PK1 could work out well. The top 2 pairs get rest and get the easy shifts right after a PK.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh, I agree. I was just addressing some of these media generated line projections that didn’t include Jensen. I’m just saying, hypothetically, even if they were down on Jensen to the point they actually wanted to bench him to start the season, then I would think it would make more sense to trade him at that point, because it will only become harder to trade him if he becomes a regular on the Nacho line. And with that cap hit for three more seasons, that would be pretty rough. That being said, I believe Jensen will start the season on the bottom pair with Chara. What’s more, I think Jensen will receive the second most PK minutes per game, for a defender on the Caps, after Chara. I think it’s quite possible he will be the first replacement on the right side for defensemen as well.

I think you will see Jensen with Chara for even strenth. They will be pk1. Late in games with a lead you will Jensen step up to Skate with Orlov or rotate between Orlov and Chara with Schultz watching

Reactions: Futures Passed

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
You have McMichael as a Kuzy level player?
based on what ive seen of him, i dont see why he couldnt be. he works hard, is great at making dangerous scoring chances, has a nasty shot, and is pretty good off the puck. it isnt a 100% given he will be, but he can definitely be an elite player if he wants to be

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think McMichael does possess first-line offensive skill and IQ. The question is more whether he has first-line intangibles. Does he have the consistency and drive to continue to refine his game as he matures? Or will he be content to be a somewhat inconsistent but skilled scoring-line player. I don't think he's a five star prospect so it's easier to put a second-line label on him. Third-line or calling him a middle sixer is underselling his skill level but he does have key areas he'll have to evolve in order for that IQ to be more fully impactful.

I'd compare him from a skill standpoint to Tatar, Hoffman, Schwartz or Reilly Smith. We're sort of spoiled having HHoF level first-liners and a technical first-line level isn't utter dominance or point-per-game production. If all goes right he could be a Huberdeau or maybe a Brayden Point if the intangibles pop and everything levels up. If not maybe he's more of an up-and-down William Karlsson, Stepan, Bailey, Fabbri, Tierney or Craig Smith. While the skating needs work to fully project him to NHL level I don't think he's Sam Gagner or anything.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You have McMichael as a Kuzy level player?
Maybe pick somebody else, "Kuznetsov-level" is anything between quality 2C production and Conn Smythe caliber, game dominating talent, it's hard to picture all of that at once and make comparisons.

I used to think Point before he suddenly put up 90 and started doing everything, but they also have a lot of the same things going for them so like Langway says, if it clicks he's going as far as his brain can take him.

Somewhere between there and, say, Bryan Little. David Krejci ballpark wouldn't be bad.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe pick somebody else, "Kuznetsov-level" is anything between quality 2C production and Conn Smythe caliber, game dominating talent, it's hard to picture all of that at once and make comparisons.

I used to think Point before he suddenly put up 90 and started doing everything, but they also have a lot of the same things going for them so like Langway says, if it clicks he's going as far as his brain can take him.

Somewhere between there and, say, Bryan Little. David Krejci ballpark wouldn't be bad.

Its true that Kuzy is a box of chocolates. Lets just pick the average run of the mill Kuzy that is not an elite Backstrom level center but more than a good 2c

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Kuzy dominated that tourament, he put up more points in one game then CMM has in all games on 1st line center.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think McMichael does possess first-line offensive skill and IQ. The question is more whether he has first-line intangibles. Does he have the consistency and drive to continue to refine his game as he matures? Or will he be content to be a somewhat inconsistent but skilled scoring-line player. I don't think he's a five star prospect so it's easier to put a second-line label on him. Third-line or calling him a middle sixer is underselling his skill level but he does have key areas he'll have to evolve in order for that IQ to be more fully impactful.

Sounds like The Lady's Man. Solid 2nd line, elite 3rd line center/wing.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
On the topic of Chara, good indication that this was a great signing is seeing all the Pens fans try to argue that his signing is a negative.

Seeing them getting frisky about it means that they’re starting to be insecure. I would be insecure if our defense was as shitty as theirs.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
On the topic of Chara, good indication that this was a great signing is seeing all the Pens fans try to argue that his signing is a negative.

Seeing them getting frisky about it means that they’re starting to be insecure. I would be insecure if our defense was as shitty as theirs.

After reading a lot of their posts, the majority of them feel that their D is better than what the Caps are icing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Except most of them think their d is better than the Caps d. Right? Lets just look at what some of us say.
Carlson sucks defensively and is coasting. That his offensive production is overrated. Dillon is a 4 that skates with 1's but doesnt drive play. Orlov is the best defenseman on the team( and no Caps fans take that as a slam of the rest rather than a compliment to Orlov), most of us wanted nothing to do with Schultz, most of us wanted to ditch Jensen last season, Siegenthaler is irrelevant and getting rid of him to make room for Fehervary might be the way to go.

There is a pretty consistant narrative there. I see Dillon Carlson as a top notch shutdown pair. Orlov is a dynamic player. I admit that I dont know what to make of Schultz. I like Chara and Jensen a lot. I think that could describe many here now, but as last season went by all of that above was consistent.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Laich? Not really. The more skilled comparisons are more appropriate.

Its true that there are few players that compare to Laich, who was a legit player at all 5 skater positions and good at them. He was not as skilled as say Ribeiro. I was just saying overall that Laich was a legit 2nd line player that was an overmatch when skating on the 3rd. He played pp and pk. If McMichael with whatever skill set was a solid 2nd line player with a special teams contribution, that would be satisfactory.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1 season out of 6....at least we got the big one.

Kuzy had 77pts and 82 game in 15-16 but disappeared in the playoffs. I dont consider those a hot streak or a flash in the pan. He can be an allstar center. He just isnt with enough regularity. I think MacLellan has said as much.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Its true that Kuzy is a box of chocolates. Lets just pick the average run of the mill Kuzy that is not an elite Backstrom level center but more than a good 2c
Then, on paper in one of those Player A/Player B comparisons I think you could see it.

Side by side he won't look as mouth watering, doesn't have that skate-through-the-entire-Islanders-team thing, but he could be about as likely to put up a multi-point game as that Kuznetsov even if he does it differently.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Its true that there are few players that compare to Laich, who was a legit player at all 5 skater positions and good at them. He was not as skilled as say Ribeiro. I was just saying overall that Laich was a legit 2nd line player that was an overmatch when skating on the 3rd. He played pp and pk. If McMichael with whatever skill set was a solid 2nd line player with a special teams contribution, that would be satisfactory.
Sure but defense doesn't profile as a distinguishing strength barring a lot of physical maturity to go along with a real dedication to the details as he gets older. If that area jumps with time he could become more like a Toews or Horvat IMO. The best Caps hybrid for him I can think of would be Vrana and Ribeiro at the moment.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure but defense doesn't profile as a distinguishing strength barring a lot of physical maturity to go along with a real dedication to the details as he gets older. If that area jumps with time he could become more like a Toews or Horvat IMO. The best Caps hybrid for him I can think of would be Vrana and Ribeiro at the moment.

I was mainly just talking about place in the lineup. If he could produce like Vrana, i would say that would be a home run and allow the Caps to continue as a contender as Backstrom slides down the depth chart

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Then, on paper in one of those Player A/Player B comparisons I think you could see it.

Side by side he won't look as mouth watering, doesn't have that skate-through-the-entire-Islanders-team thing, but he could be about as likely to put up a multi-point game as that Kuznetsov even if he does it differently.

Eller with more consistent marks on the scoresheet maybe? I like the Eller that steps up when one of 19 or 92 is out.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I dont get the fan hate for Kuzy lol

probably because you’re misidentifying hate.

At times I have trouble celebrating great talents who only desire to be good.

But whatever, he is what he is. Hopefully Lavi will somewhat even out all the ups and downs on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->