Confirmed with Link: Big Z (Zdeno Chara) signed to 1 year, $795,000 deal

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Just listened to the press conference

1.The Caps called a few days ago(Adds to the theory about protecting Ilya with Hank out).
2.Chara confirms Bruins offered him a reserve role.
3.No specific role was offered, but at one point it sure sounds like Z will be in on one of the 3 lines
4.When asked about Ilya, he said you shouldn't judge how a goalie is going to play by his age or how much playing time he had.

Last edited:
Reactions: um and max21

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
So according to Matt Grzelcyk's sister, Matt told her Chara wanted to remain on the first line with McAvoy and still play his 20-25 minutes.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Can’t help but wonder how he’d look next to Carlson.

Taller!

Zdeno+Chara+John+Carlson+Washington+Capitals+pwpjDP2CyoZl.jpg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So according to Matt Grzelcyk's sister, Matt told her Chara wanted to remain on the first line with McAvoy and still play his 20-25 minutes.
That scares me a bit, when combined with his statement about being a "reserve player" during the presser. I assumed he meant taxi squad/healthy scratch by that, but if he simply meant a reduced role, then we could be in trouble for a difference of expectations. Or in trouble because Chara gets too large a role.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
That scares me a bit, when combined with his statement about being a "reserve player" during the presser. I assumed he meant taxi squad/healthy scratch by that, but if he simply meant a reduced role, then we could be in trouble for a difference of expectations. Or in trouble because Chara gets too large a role.

Well they havn't promised him a role yet. All we know its probably a role where he will be in the lineup. Can't imagine he would come to DC for the same role with 19 other teams interested.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No, I think you're reading it right.

I think he was offered the opportunity to play every night if he earns it, and he's betting on himself and phrasing it in a way where he doesn't see himself failing, and that's good. Also, frankly, if there's a difference of opinion, it's a 1 year contract to a 44 year old. I don't see him going out of his way to be a diva about it if he really can't keep up anymore based on the references to quality of his character, and it's a little different when it's not "your team" of 16 or whatever years.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Still hard to believe and it's going to be weird at first seeing Big Z in a Caps jersey. I'm good with whatever McCarthy comes up with for the D pairs. Whatever they start with they probably won't end with. You know Chara has loads of pride in his game and will want to show everyone, Boston included when he faces off against them 8x, that he's still got game left in him.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

He said he was told he would have a chance to compete. He'll be mainly competing against Siegs, so I think he felt confident in that opportunity. A 3rd pair of Jensen/Chara looks nice on paper. Both PKers, a wheels guy and a crease clearer, both playing mostly against lower competition. And Z could move up and play some crunch time shut down minutes since he won't be gassed, playing just 12-15 per night.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He said he was told he would have a chance to compete. He'll be mainly competing against Siegs, so I think he felt confident in that opportunity. A 3rd pair of Jensen/Chara looks nice on paper. Both PKers, a wheels guy and a crease clearer, both playing mostly against lower competition. And Z could move up and play some crunch time shut down minutes since he won't be gassed, playing just 12-15 per night.
Orpik averaged 15:40 in his last season. I think that's around what Chara will average, if not a touch more. Whether he plays more or not is up to Dillon most of all I think. Chara did still lead the team with the most points last season in +/- so it's not like he's washed 5-on-5. While he did play often with the top line he also played a lot of defensive minutes with Kuraly/Wagner up front. McAvoy and their system also helped but I don't doubt if he's playing well there will be a temptation to put him with Carlson and try to max out what he can offer. While Schultz & Sheary signings emphasized pace and you'd think there will be a bit more of it under Laviolette they're still going to be a grinding type team. I'm not sure a team with Backstrom & Oshie in their top six can manage full throttle. It's going to be about structure and letting the puck and puck support do some of the work.

They could just play him in that Orpik role but, I don't know, if he's up for it physically and playing well then I'm sure they're going to want to see just how much he can handle at some point. It goes counter to keeping him rested and managing his minutes but if he's up for it and game it's bound to happen.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I think Chara will lead the team in PK minutes next season. He takes over Sigenthaler’s role there and 5-5. If there are injuries to Dillon or Orlov, then he fills in for them. I think he sits on back to backs so Siegenthaler can get some games and he can stay fresh.

Reactions: Capagonia

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I mean if I was a fan of another team in our division I would probably be like damn the Caps are a big physical team and just got even bigger, would not want to play them. Not a fast team but yeah, Pens fans seem to be happy about this acquisition. But I am excited to watch some hockey now

Reactions: Ridley Simon

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I mean if I was a fan of another team in our division I would probably be like damn the Caps are a big physical team and just got even bigger, would not want to play them. Not a fast team but yeah, Pens fans seem to be happy about this acquisition. But I am excited to watch some hockey now

If they think Chara is bad, wait till they see Ceci.

Reactions: max21

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're paying Mike Matheson over six times as much for the next six years.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not sure of Laviolette's tendencies when it comes to defensemen playing on their off-side but adding Chara opens up the possibility of moving Orlov to the right side as needed, especially if Schultz can't hack it in the top 4. I think they'll initially try:

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Schultz
Chara-Jensen

But adding Chara opens up a lot of possibilities. TVR and Jensen are certainly capable on the second pair and Siegenthaler is fine in a bottom pairing role so I'm sure the pairings will be fluid to say the least.

This is about as deep defensively as I remember them ever being. Even back in 2016-17 Alzner was done and Orpik was probably more limited than Chara is now. BMac has certainly done all he can to help out Samsonov, let's see how this plays out. Really excited for hockey to start again.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not sure of Laviolette's tendencies when it comes to defensemen playing on their off-side but adding Chara opens up the possibility of moving Orlov to the right side as needed, especially if Schultz can't hack it in the top 4. I think they'll initially try:

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Schultz
Chara-Jensen

But adding Chara opens up a lot of possibilities. TVR and Jensen are certainly capable on the second pair and Siegenthaler is fine in a bottom pairing role so I'm sure the pairings will be fluid to say the least.

This is about as deep defensively as I remember them ever being. Even back in 2016-17 Alzner was done and Orpik was probably more limited than Chara is now. BMac has certainly done all he can to help out Samsonov, let's see how this plays out. Really excited for hockey to start again.

I am pretty sure that I read that McCarthey is pretty much a handedness defenseman coach. The Caps dont have 4 right shot d so that they can force a left d to skate on the right.

Reactions: Capagonia

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Lavy isn’t going to care. He wants to win. Don’t read to much into any of this.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad