Big trade or fire the coach first?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I read that, that's interesting. Elliotte Friedman said we had 3 scouts at Vanek's last game, perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not.

I don't see how we could possibly have added his cap hit to the roster, even with Buffalo eating a million. The only way would have been to send Olli plus back. I also wouldn't have been happy with giving up a first for a rental like the Islanders did.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I don't see how we could possibly have added his cap hit to the roster, even with Buffalo eating a million. The only way would have been to send Olli plus back. I also wouldn't have been happy with giving up a first for a rental like the Islanders did.

Agree. Not a deal or contract that suits us at all, really. Don't see the fit, nor do I want to risk giving a 1st up for a potential one-year player.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Anyone here think that The Peg is still a tough sell to lure players to? And maybe that's a reason why Chevy has been unable to make some bigger splashes with player movement.

Jets 2.0 are still very young in their existence. Quite possible its going to take a little longer to get the Peg established within the player ranks as a great city to play in.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Anyone here think that The Peg is still a tough sell to lure players to? And maybe that's a reason why Chevy has been unable to make some bigger splashes with player movement.

Jets 2.0 are still very young in their existence. Quite possible its going to take a little longer to get the Peg established within the player ranks as a great city to play in.

Nope. If you look at our history I have not seen one valid, specific instance of this. Conversely I've seen lots of FA's sign here and our RFA's sign long term when they could have just gotten a bridge.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree, it was surprising when I read that. What would be even more interesting is if we keep scouting them. Miller anyone?

Would love it, but only if he came with an extension in place.

I don't believe he can sign one until January though!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
:laugh:

Agree. I sort of understand what the Islanders are trying to do (sort of), but that deal could be a HUGE mistake if Vanek simply walks.

I wonder if they had conversations with Vanek. He can't be happy in Buffalo and maybe it was a case where he wanted to play for an up and coming exciting team and if it goes well, resign.

It's a hell of a risk, but if Vanek re-signs for 3 or so years IMHO it's worth it.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would love it, but only if he came with an extension in place.

I don't believe he can sign one until January though!

Fans would have to apologize for the silver medal chant as a pre-requisite to him signing.

"Almost Gold! Almost Gold!"

;)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I wonder if they had conversations with Vanek. He can't be happy in Buffalo and maybe it was a case where he wanted to play for an up and coming exciting team and if it goes well, resign.

It's a hell of a risk, but if Vanek re-signs for 3 or so years IMHO it's worth it.

Agree: if he re-signs, it's good for them - they are definitely on the upswing. If he doesn't: eeek!

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
:laugh:

Agree. I sort of understand what the Islanders are trying to do (sort of), but that deal could be a HUGE mistake if Vanek simply walks.

Definitely. Could be really bad if they miss the playoffs, Vanek walks, they're out some pretty valuable picks.

On the flip side, if the gamble pays off, Vanek does well there and forms a partnership with Tavares, signs long-term, it could be a huge win for that franchise, in my opinion.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, that's for sure. Lots of teams can't make this risk or gamble, but from what Chris Botta said on radio the other day (he covers the Isles) he says it's a risk worth taking for them given the young assets they already have, given their recent draft picks, given the state of the team and where they are in the process, etc. He said you can't just collect these picks and young players forever and never have it truly materialize, sometimes you have to be bold like this and hope it pays off. The Isles as a team who made the playoffs last season and appeared to have taken a step, appear ready to make a move like this.

Agree with that or disagree, who knows, but that seems to be where they are coming from. Like I said, it is going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
They have always seemed to like Stafford, so maybe they are trying to make another play for him.

That's true. I remember Lawless tweeting we had possible interest (or something like that) in Stafford at last years trade deadline. It was a Burmistrov for Stafford rumor, I believe..

He's off to a terrible start, as is the entire Buffalo team, obviously. He is a UFA at the end of next season, and on contract for 4 million.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
I read that, that's interesting. Elliotte Friedman said we had 3 scouts at Vanek's last game, perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not.

Elliote Friedman said:
the Jets had three scouts at Vanek's last game in Buffalo -- Mark Dobson (who is their director of pro scouting), Peter Ratchuk and Pierre Groulx. Groulx, Montreal's former goaltending coach, is working for them on a consulting basis while spending two weeks a month with Munich Red Bull of the German League.

Given that they had a goaltending coach and director of pro scouting there, do we think there's any chance they were scouting Miller? I know Chevy was talking about an offensive spark and Vanek scores far more points than Miller, but the goaltending coach has me wondering.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Miller doesn't fit IMO. First of all, he has a NTC that likely includes the Jets. Second of all, it would be a mad scramble to get his deal under the cap, do we really think Buffalo is going to take Pavelec back, cause they'd have to for the deal to work. Third, he's a pending UFA. TNSE hasn't been the type of organization to toss assets after temporary gain, and I doubt they would be at this point. We'd have to be a playoff contender for that to happen IMO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How about we all just panic, running down the streets howling. Good grief folks, calm down.

Okay, flame away.

Ok ....i'm in....where should we meet to run down the streets howling "GOOD GRIEF FOLKS CALM DOWN"

Wait did a read that wrong? :dunno:

:sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I said it in another thread... if every Chevy wanted to sell high and buy low now is the time and the Flyers are the team.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
big trade. I do not believe our issue is coaching but more secondary and depth scoring. we pretty much have a waiver bottom six of grinders

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I said it in another thread... if every Chevy wanted to sell high and buy low now is the time and the Flyers are the team.

Agreed. If Philly really does covet Buff, this may be the ideal time to make a deal with a desperate GM known for making block buster trades.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm thinking with the latest "situation" in philly land they may be making a blockbuster very soon. Perhaps we can take advantage of Homer being well... Homer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad