GDT: BIG SHOWDOWN AT THE PNC: ARI @ CAR 7 PM

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Zykov will never be able to keep his shooting % @ NHL level :sarcasm:
Oh yes, this game surely proves it. He shoots at f***ing 30% in the AHL, he will not keep that and it is unlikely that he'll keep shooting even at 20%. Go check out the history of shooting %. It just doeesss nooot haappeeenn.

If Aho shot at 30% this season he'd have over 50 goals.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It was Arizona, and the game was a terribly sloppy one, probably the sloppiest one I've seen all season. I'm glad Skinner scored a couple, but he was the same Skinner (flying the zone, terrible along the wall on the breakout, losing the puck, etc..), just that against the worst team in the NHL, he was able to cash in (as was PDG who almost doubled his point total). Hard for me to get carried away about "what could have been" based on winning a very sloppy game against a back-up goalie for one of the worst teams in the NHL.

The Aho/TT/Zykov line looked good. Aho is so dangerous every time he's out there. Zykov did what he's supposed to do. Hopefully we see him do that for more games.

zykov continues to light up the ahl's arizona coyotes

I get it. I do. It was the Coyotes. But they've been playing *a lot* better than we have coming into this one. The Coyotes had posted a 13-5-2 record in their past 20 games, including a 4-1-1 mark in their past six road games. So yeah, I'm not going to declare the season a success, but at the same time, I'm not going to discount a fairly gutsy effort and the success of our nice shiny new toy just because it was Arizona.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Finnish players have strong forearms, according to tripp.

@Lempo pls confirm?

Well. We do have the idiom that someone considered to be particularly strong has "rye in the wrist". So it may be a case of the fall crop that fits for the boreal zone combining with successful inbreeding.

On somewhat related note, there also seems to be Wrist&Rye, "a social lubricant company" (let's not go there), who seem to sport this bad boy among "their" celebrities:

team-2.jpg

I'm not claiming there's anything to it, but there totally is something to it.

"Bracelets are a man's best friend." But I think you may need to be all kinds of strong to qualify.

So, confirmed I guess.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I get it. I do. It was the Coyotes. But they've been playing *a lot* better than we have coming into this one. The Coyotes had posted a 13-5-2 record in their past 20 games, including a 4-1-1 mark in their past six road games. So yeah, I'm not going to declare the season a success, but at the same time, I'm not going to discount a fairly gutsy effort and the success of our nice shiny new toy just because it was Arizona.

I get that, but they also played last night in Buffalo and were playing their back-up, who in his last 10 games was under .900 in 8 / 10 of them. Some of the goals he gave up were "Darling-esque" either via his positioning or inability to cover the puck. All season we've said PDG didn't belong in the NHL and should be replaced and he almost doubles his point total.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be excited by how Zykov looked as that line. He looked very good last night and he played as advertised and it's definitely encouraging. I'm simply saying pump the brakes a bit on "This is what could have been" based on 1 very sloppy game, against one of the worst teams in the league, coming off a back to back, with their back-up goalie who has struggled as of late. After a few more games, if this keeps up, then sure, I'm with you.

Maybe just as big of a contributor was that Peters finally had a game in which both Aho and Lindholm played center and stayed there for a whole game. That alone to me provided a lot of balance. Jordan and Williams (along with McGinn) provided the more physical, grinding, line. Aho and TT (along with Zykov) provided speed, skill and offensive talent. Lindy and Skinner (along with PDG) were able to go against lesser competition and focus on offense.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
While having a coach who consistently puzzles/amuses/angers us with his choices of personnel, there's a lot of blame being laid at the feet of Francis in this thread for not bringing Zykov up earlier. Don't forget that Zykov was brought up recently and sent immediately back down without playing...if Francis was truly the roadblock, Zykov would've found his way into the lineup that night.

No one here has any idea which guy was holding back on that move, so just stop. Please.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
While having a coach who consistently puzzles/amuses/angers us with his choices of personnel, there's a lot of blame being laid at the feet of Francis in this thread for not bringing Zykov up earlier. Don't forget that Zykov was brought up recently and sent immediately back down without playing...if Francis was truly the roadblock, Zykov would've found his way into the lineup that night.

No one here has any idea which guy was holding back on that move, so just stop. Please.

The guy most likely holding Zykov back, at least partially is Vellucci and other player development types who watch games in Charlotte. They are the ones advising who is ready for a call up.

Peters insistence on playing Nordstrom every night wasn’t helpful either since Zykov wasn’t about to replace any of the other 3 LWs in the lineup (Aho, Skinner, McGinn).

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Now that the season is in the tank, I noticed that Slavin (even noticed it a few games back) has taken a much more aggressive approach at taking the puck up the ice and joining the rush. I just looked at his splits.

Oct -Jan: 50GP | 4G | 13P | -14
Feb-Mar: 24GP | 4G | 15P | +8

That’s also corresponded with the dates where Cam forgot how to goalie. Perhaps a conservative approach team wide was making him look good again.

Then again Hanifin stopped doing anything on the offensive end so who the f*** knows.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Oh yes, this game surely proves it. He shoots at ****ing 30% in the AHL, he will not keep that and it is unlikely that he'll keep shooting even at 20%. Go check out the history of shooting %. It just doeesss nooot haappeeenn.

If Aho shot at 30% this season he'd have over 50 goals.
You do know that I wasn't serious?
It's just fun to poke the bear when he did score twice yesterday!

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Now that the season is in the tank, I noticed that Slavin (even noticed it a few games back) has taken a much more aggressive approach at taking the puck up the ice and joining the rush. I just looked at his splits.

Oct -Jan: 50GP | 4G | 13P | -14
Feb-Mar: 24GP | 4G | 15P | +8
I want to say something similar happened last season as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Didn't look out of place. Peters said after the game that he'd like Zykov to shoot more when given the opportunity to do so, but frankly, he got two goals last night apparently not heeding that advice, so..

Yeah. It's pretty natural for a guy to come up from the AHL, be put on a line with two fast, skilled guys that lead the team in scoring and want to defer to them a bit. I expect as he gets more comfortable, he'll look to shoot more, but frankly, I didn't see too many times where he passed up a good shot. A "shot" maybe, but not a good one.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah. It's pretty natural for a guy to come up from the AHL, be put on a line with two fast, skilled guys that lead the team in scoring and want to defer to them a bit. I expect as he gets more comfortable, he'll look to shoot more, but frankly, I didn't see too many times where he passed up a good shot. A "shot" maybe, but not a good one.

He didn’t put a muffin into the goalies chest from 50 feet out so he’s a failure in Peters eyes.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Was thinking last night. When is the last time, outside of that shorty a while back, where we had a legit breakaway or 2-1 in favor of the Canes? I haven't seen all the games, but they seem pretty rare.

We actually have them frequently, but apparently Peters wants them to both skate outside the dots then converge late leading to rolling the puck into the end boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->