Sportsnet: Big Read: How Kadri is out to prove he isn't one-season wonder

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Personally love these big reads so I figured I'd share it here. There was a "Big Read" piece done on Kadri 2 years ago when Babcock first took over the helm and talked about Kadri taking the next step under Babs, which is cool cause that actually came to fruition.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/big-read-nazem-kadri-going-prove-isnt-one-season-wonder/

The parts about his relationship with Komarov were pretty entertaining. :laugh:

Komarov and Kadri have a funny, brotherly relationship. They like to rip each other. Komarov swears, with a big smile on his face, that Kadri once thought Argentina was in Europe, that he's "not one of the smartest guys", and that sometimes it seems like Kadri's "still in high school." In the next breath, though, Uncle Leo says:"He knows a lot of stuff," and, "he's a guy you want to die for."

The two are notorious for competing head-to-head in practice, and the loser usually has to do a menial task, like take off the other guy's skates. When Komarov wins, you'll hear nothing. "When I lost, he posted it,"Â Komarov says, grinning and shaking his head. "œHe loves Instagram and **** like that."Â The picture of Komarov untying Kadri's skates last season is accompanied by the caption: "He didn't win."Â

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good read, thanks for sharing. This was my favourite part :) that really was quite the season Kadri had, let's hope this season is just as good, if not better.

There wasn’t much second-guessing last season, when he finished with two more goals than McDavid, and the 19th most league-wide, while also getting under the skin of many of the guys ahead of him in the scoring race. Among players who scored 30 or more goals, none started in the defensive end more than Kadri, and it isn’t even close. He had a career-high 62.6 per cent defensive-zone starts, and the next best in that group didn’t even crack the 50 per cent mark — Cam Atkinson of Columbus came in at 49.8.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I've never been super critical of Naz or anything, but, I was always annoyed by his 'swagger' or his (I don't even know) his, well, maybe, I realize now, what bothered me about him, is PERHAPS, just about the same thing that bothers players who have to play against him.

He's definitely proved me wrong. He's a PRO and I'm very happy to admit it.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Love the different things Naz brings to the table and he's developed so much since his rookie year. I wonder where Babcock will keep him as the top young Leafs get more mature. Will Babcock want Kadri to keep facing the top lines instead of Matthews? The Leafs should have three lines teams have to worry about for quite a while yet with Matthews, Kadri and whoever centers that 2nd scoring line. Kadri is one of those bargain signings that teams hope to get when filling out their team imo.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Really proud of what Kadri has become. I think hes a glowing example of what the "new" Maple Leafs are; offensively gifted but defensively responsible.

Hopefully he can pass on the lessons he's learned from Komarov

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Anybody else notice at the beginning of every season since his draft there have been articles from the media and threads on this site about kadri proving this and kadri proving that etc. There is always something about him proving something lol.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Anybody else notice at the beginning of every season since his draft there have been articles from the media and threads on this site about kadri proving this and kadri proving that etc. There is always something about him proving something lol.

Everyone loves a redemption story.

And for a long time he was our most promising young player, so there's added attention there too.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop

Probably because he thinks he has more to prove

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I believe he is going to be even better - Marleau on his wing should boost his points total

Reactions: Rogie

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No two players benefited more from Babcock than Kadri and Jake. They are both living examples of if you are in the right place at the right time, put in the work ,you will reap rewards.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Kadri is my favourite Leaf of the last 5-10 years. I absolutely love his game, and he bleeds blue and white. You can just tell he wants to be a star in the league and strives for it every year. We're really lucky to have him on the roster. Its a shame you don't see more Kadri jerseys around.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I highly doubt he is a one year wonder, since it took him 6 years plus to become one. He is a player who has arrived and even if he scores 28 G means more to us that stats can tell. To me, he is captain material.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad