Big name stars, who were bad playoff performers

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For you to say this, I think you really have to underestimate Clarke's defensive impact.

No I don't underestimate it at all. I did state that he brought more to the table than what was on the scoresheet. But he did that all the time. The only thing is his scoring took a dip in the postseason. Clarke led his team in scoring in the regular season by significant margins yet did not lead them in the playoffs any year. It isn't a big issue, but his playoff legacy lags behind the all-time great hovering around him

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
So what are you saying? I'm absolutely right for stating Clarke's value went beyond offensive numbers, but phooey on me for not stating that it was due to Shero's superior coaching?

As for 1975, what I've read indicates that the difference between the finalists was Philly had an elite goalie and Buffalo had nothing resembling one.

What I am saying is that coaching very often determines how a players value is used and perceived. If a coach uses a player in a context where his contribution is optimized in the creation of a winning situation this should be recognized ant the player's personal stats should be taken in context. Likewise if a coach misuses a player or players ( see Bruins Bobby Orr era ) then similar analysis should take place. Finally if both the coach and the player do not do their job both should be criticized. Too often all that happens is a superficial analysis that is player centric.

As for 1975, see above comment - most of the writers do not look beyond the superficial. The Sabres made it to the finals beating solid teams along the way. Flyers defense and Shero's ability to get proper match-ups on the ice made a big difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad