OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Alf Pogs! Remember Alf? He's Back...in Pog Form!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not sure where to post this or even if there is an appropriate place.

Three students were just shot at Brashear High School.

Not many details heavy police presence.

that's crazy. If I was one or two people higher on the seniority list at my teaching job in Pittsburgh, I likely would have been transferred to Brashear instead of being laid off. I knew a few teachers there. I wonder if they still work there. Students too, though they would be graduated now. That's just crazy.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Not me, I'm broke as hell and never get into the fray this close to launch anyway. I'll probably wait until Uncharted 4 comes out.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So how many of you got PS4's today????

I didn't but I was just curiously wondering.

I just finally played Uncharted 2 and Bioshock this past summer. Haven't finished a game since. At this rate, I still have years of PS3 and Wii games to get through before I need to worry about next gen :laugh: the good thing is that gaming is a much cheaper hobby if you don't mind being behind the curve

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd actually like to pick up a PS3 at some point to get in on some of the exclusives I missed as a former 360 owner. I might get around to the next generation systems at some point. But I doubt it. I'm part of the PC Master Raceâ„¢ now.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Big! Last of Us prequel DLC feat. Ellie and Riley announced! What a week.

How's Burial at Sea? Still haven't gotten around to it.

I saw...pretty exciting stuff with The Last of Us.

Burial at Sea is most definitely fan service, which again is something I have no problem with as an obsessive fan of the series. It's on the short side, but it still took me about twice as long as what I kept hearing just because of my OCD with checking everything out. Well worth the price of admission, though it's not going to set the world on fire. It's just incredibly fun to play with the Infinite mechanics in Rapture.

I got a PS4, though after the initial gleam fades I probably won't be using it much until MLB 14: The Show.

Good God.

PSN: phantompenguin59

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
That video reminds me that if the NHL series doesn't do a major overhaul to Be a GM mode for PS4, I'll be kinda pissed. I have a lot of ideas, but I'd like total CBA integration, more interactive prospect development options that incentivizes playing and successfully controlling your prospects in games and more creative team building, a full overhaul of contract negotiations, find a way to work foreign leagues into free agency, etc. Basically just depth. I also really hope they include ECHL teams. And pay more attention to roster movements in the minors. Bobby Farnham STILL isn't in the game.

I think the gameplay just needs a few more tweaks, mostly in terms of player AI and reactions to nearby pucks.

I'd also like for them to finally figure out how to work chipping the puck into games, but that might be a little too tough. (Though honestly I think a lot of it could just be contextual.)

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
EA needs to just rebuild that series in general. It's not bad by any stretch...but so little has changed of the past 4 or 5 years that I've barely touched NHL 14.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I dunno, like I said, I think the gameplay is really good and the tweaks they make are usually improvements. This year addressed a few of my biggest issues with NHL 13, so I was pleased they seemed to recognize what's wrong. If they can find a way to take the current gameplay and make it smarter, I'd consider it pretty close to perfection.

I also want better all around goalie play. They seem to really struggle finding the balance with that. I remember the different patches in NHL 13 had wild effects on goalie play. I remember one patch made every game a 7-6 shootout. The next one totally overcorrected and every game was 1-0 with it being impossible for human controlled teams to score and the CPU only getting total fluke goals, like shots from outside the blueline hitting the goalie's chest and bouncing between his legs. They balanced it out eventually and seem to have largely give up on tweaking it this year. At the very least it's pretty even for the most part, even if scoring is slightly too high.

I guess the fundamental flaw in goalie play is that, for all their boasts about advanced physics and new movements, reactions have remained pretty static.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The gameplay is definitely a good deal better, but I'm a franchise mode nut, and that franchise mode is just unacceptable in 2013.

Unfortunately all of the focus now seems to go towards **** like HUT, which I have absolutely no use for.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I totally agree. Be a GM is my favorite mode, too, but it has been more or less stagnant for some time. It blows my mind how many of my wish list, dream scenario features have been in other series for YEARS.

HUT is kinda nifty. I like that I can outfit a team that isn't the Hurricanes in Hartford Whalers uniforms. But yeah, them focusing on deepening that and Be a Player/Live the Life is weird, especially when they admit in the GM Connected promos that Be a GM remains the most popular mode.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
what a mediocre show

Alison-Brie-And-Community-Gang-Boo-Reaction-Gif.gif

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Fine, new topic: Vegas.

Just booked a weekend there for the middle of next month for a friend's wedding. I spent about 36 hours there last year while making my move from Montana with my devout Catholic father...so I'm hoping to have a little more fun this time. I'm not much of a gambler, I won about $500 last time...but that was on a slots machine. Vegas really isn't my kind of town, but...eh. I'll just be happy to interrupt the tedium of writing for a while, especially since I won't be getting back to Pittsburgh in the winter this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad