Big interview with Borna Rendulic

EurolancheDavid

I used to introduce every person that I interviewed in few paragraphs before you can read a transcript. Now, I will try to be brief. Why? The following interview with Borna Rendulic is one of my best that I have done in my journalism career. I did dozens interviews, but the content of this one speaks for itself. Borna is amazing person, who really loves hockey and is willing to do everything to become an NHL player. He also loves to share his thoughts and hockey-life moments with his fans. Be sure to follow him on Twitter @bornarendulic and give a like to his Facebook page too.

Borna was born in Croatia in 1992. At the age of 15 he made his professional debut in Croatian top league and played for the same team of Medvescak Zagreb in the Slovenian and also Austrian league in the following years (the team moved from one league to another in that time). Meanwhile, he also played a hockey in Finland for the junior teams that had started his successful career there. He played his first game in a prestige top Finnish league in 2011/12 season. His experience also includes some games in second-tier Finnish league – he represented the same team that current Avalanche assistant coach Tim Army played for in 1980s´. In the last season, Borna appeared in 57 games for HPK of the top league in Finland and collected 32 points.

Finally, his international career is another great part of his life. He played in more than 60 games at the international tournaments for the senior and junior Team Croatia. He hasn´t missed any big international game since 2009 and almost helped to Croatia last year for being promoted to top level of the World Championship for the first time in the history. Borna has become the first Croatian player who was raised in Croatia and signed a professional contract with the NHL team. He is currently in Denver at the development camp; the interview was done last week.

Was it hard for you to become a hockey player in a country that is still a kind of exotic for the playing this sport?

Of course it was hard, that’s why I left Croatia when I was just 15 years old. I knew back then that I coudn’t suceed in Croatia and the only right path to become a hockey player was a departure to Finland.

Why you decided to become a hockey player? Who has inspired you?

Noone special inspired me. I just started to train hockey when I was six, some coaches in Zagreb saw me skating on the Šalata rink (on the picture below) and they invited me to play hockey. When I started to train, it turned out that I was very talented. So, then I decided to continue with hockey. I was also very good at football (soccer), and since I knew I wanted to become an athlete, hockey was my number one choice and it has outweighted football, and that’s why I decided to become a hockey player.

You got many other offers from several NHL teams. Why you decided to agree with the Colorado Avalanche offer?

Well, I spoke with David Oliver, from Avalanche management. We spoke a few times, he was watching me in Finland, and I just liked the guy and he said they were searching for a player like me. I think that he can help me to become an NHL hockey player. And of course, because of Joe Sakic, who is also Croatian if you ask me haha!

Do you remember a day when you signed this contract? Can you describe us your feelings and what did you do?

I knew about all of that few months before signing a contract, so when that day came, I was enthusiastic, but my friend was much happier than me, haha!

Why do you think the Avalanche chose you? Did you know about some their interest before they offered you a deal?

I know they chose me because of my predispositions and style of play. They were searching for a right wing that is between 189 and 192 cm, that shoots right, and is young forward.

Have you ever been in Denver?

This will be my first time.

Full interview at: http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=5013

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Seems like a good kid. Hopefully he comes in with that same enthusiasm and makes his adjustments to the NA ice in the AHL this year and is able to crack the squad next year when some contracts expire.

member 116861

You guys are amazing!

It's interesting to see that David Oliver actually was the one watching him in Europe. I thought he just handled stuff in Cleveland. I wonder who else goes to Europe to scout players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad