Speculation: Big decisions this off season, what will our 23 man roster be this fall?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I doubt Vancouver will let Roy go that easily.

Vancouver has some serious work to do in order to get under next years cap. If they don't resign any of Raymond, Malhotra, Roy, Lapierre, 6th Defenseman they will still have a cap payroll of 62.9(1.4 in space).

They NEED to get Luongo out of there by July 1st if they want any freedom whatsoever.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Vancouver has some serious work to do in order to get under next years cap. If they don't resign any of Raymond, Malhotra, Roy, Lapierre, 6th Defenseman they will still have a cap payroll of 62.9(1.4 in space).

They NEED to get Luongo out of there by July 1st if they want any freedom whatsoever.

If it comes down to it, they'll buy Luongo out. Using a compliance buyout might be their best move anyway, since it would appear that any trade they could swing would have to include them covering a portion of Luongo's salary/cap hit for the next 9 or 10 seasons (or however much is left on his ridiculous contract).

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
http://www.capgeek.com/jets
http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/?charts_year=2013
http://www.capgeek.com/jets/cap-calculator/

16 forwards, 11 D (including Trouba) right now. Usually most teams will carry 13 and 8. Also consider prospects such as Scheifele, O'Dell, and even Lowry making a push for the big club next year. I think we're going to see massive turnover this summer. We have the least amount of players signed through next year, and obviously the most cap space.

UFAs

I can see Miettenen, Antropov, Wellwood, Meech, Gagnon, and Hainsey not returning. To me our top UFA to re-sign is Clitsome by far. He's a jack of all trades, and we can probably retain him with a good value contract. Meech may stay with a 2-way, I have no idea what they're going to do with Gagnon. Montoya seems like a decent backup, we should retain him. I'd love to keep Hainsey, but I don't think it is happening. Santorelli is showing promise, we may keep him.

RFAs

I can see them all returning. Wheeler, Little, Bogosian, Redmond, Postma, and Kulda are essential to our plan, either on our roster or as trade bait. Peluso and Tangradi are not as essential, they may stay or be trade bait. I can't see Chevy not re-signing them however, they both have value signed to the team.

Trades

I'd love to trade Buff for Simmonds, and get a draft pick as well. If we can retain Hainsey, I think trading Stuart is another good option. I just don't see the point of keeping him, his game never improves. I wouldn't mind seeing Scheifele instead of one of Tangradi/Santorelli, and eventually he switches with Jokinen. Or maybe we trade Thorburn to make room for Scheifele some time into the season. You also have to consider injuries.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Simmonds
Tangradi - Burmistrov - Santorelli
Wright - Slater - Thorburn

Peluso

Hainsey - Bogosian
Enstrom - Redmond
Clitsome - Trouba

Kulda - Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

Dropped:

Miettenen, Antropov, Gagnon, Wellwood, Meech

Traded:

Byfuglien, Stuart

If we are going to drop Antropov/Wellwood and Hainsey as UFA's why didn't we just trade them to a cup contender for drop choices? They should have been either re-signed to new contracts or dealt. It baffles the heck out of me since I am sure there would have been atleast 1 team who would have either overpaid or paid a fair price for them. So we have to use Cormier/O'Dell/Gagnon/Meech. This team is fighting for 8th place and that isn't good enough! Next year we will be in a much tougher conference and teams like the Oilers will be much better than us. Does anyone believe this team will make the playoffs next year? Will the influx/age development of talent make us more of a contender? I would have much rather tanked this year, taking advantage of hungry Jets fans, have Cheveldayoff have a conference teling the fans he did this to continue the build and stockpile the talent pool. This team must be in the bottom 1/3 of the NHL for prospects. Actually I just looked it up... hockeysfuture.com has us rated at #29!

Winnipeg really should have moved Wellwood last year when his stock was high. Hindsight is 20/20 but I knew last year that they should have moved him and that he was not an untapped talent. We might have gotten a 1st round selection in this draft last year for him. Possibly a team like Detroit would have paid the price and we could potentially have a 1st round pick from a non-playoff team. Antropov is worth a 2nd rounder I feel which would have been great. The people here are praising the heck out of Lowry who was also a 2nd rounder. Sure he improved, but Cheveldayoff has been keen on talent who has jumped a lot in stock. Hainsey I feel would have gotten a 1st rounder this year but honestly I would have settled for a 2nd rounder if the offer was out there and I knew I wouldn't re-sign him or he didn't want to re-sign before the trade deadline. Trouba has more upside than Hainsey's current talent and will come at a great discount.

Even if the offer for Wellwood was a 2nd this year based on last years performance, a 3rd rounder for Antropov and a 2nd rounder for Hainsey I still would have done it. These are borderline 2nd line players on weaker teams who at one time or another had a "sell" value in that their stock was high.

So many of the AHL prospects are behind in development and I don't see higher draft choices like Klingberg, Telegin or Melchiori competing for a roster spot next year.

Eric O'Dell is the only young talent in the AHL right now I would like to see in the NHL next year. He was by far the best +/- player, the leading scorer, and still only 22. I hope that Winnipeg gives him a solid opportunity to player on the 3rd line at least, considering we have LLW - 1st line and Scheifele hopefully making the jump, if not I would love to see him play on a line with Kane. I imagine the talent is there since he was a 2nd round choice.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Since when has Enstrom contributed to loses though? His game is pretty dam consistent game 2 game basis. You're assuming he's costing us games, which is has not done.

I'm not saying the Jets are a better team simply by subtracting him, just that it has clearly been proven that they can win without him. He's worth more as an asset than what he brings to the current team. If trading Enstrom nets a top line C or RW to play with Kane it would be very hard to pass that up.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This board overrates the hell out of mid round picks...

True that.
You are doing exceptionally well to get 2 regular NHLers per a team in each draft. These aren't impact chips.

Question for others...
Weren't most here ok selling a few mid-round picks for a rental?
Isn't keeping Hainsey basically the same concept?
Anyways, either way we're getting off topic.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
True that.
You are doing exceptionally well to get 2 regular NHLers per a team in each draft. These aren't impact chips.

Question for others...
Weren't most here ok selling a few mid-round picks for a rental?
Isn't keeping Hainsey basically the same concept?
Anyways, either way we're getting off topic.

thanks for posting garret, not enough people look at it that way. keeping hainsey/antro is basically us getting rentals in exchange for a few mid round picks (that we didnt get).... if people are ok with buying rentals, they should be ok with keeping them too IMO

back to topic. i expect to see most rfa's return

i do think we will see a decent turnover tho. we have far too many 3rd/4th line type guys at the moment. while most of them may have roles here, and may be liked, we simply dont need all of them. and we arguably arent that great of a team with them.

if were going to be a contender, guys like santorelli,wellwood,antro,thorburn,peluso,tangradi etc shouldnt make up half of our forward group... stack that up to the top teams in each conference and see how it looks... not so pretty.

james wright needs to be a jet, tangradi is making a case for himself recently, and i think santorelli adds some value as a guy who can step into diff spots... IF hes on a two way contract... outside of that most of those guys ARE replacable i would think. im not saying that were going to let them all walk cause that wont happen, but i think far too many ppl think were going to re-sign most of them, which probably isnt the case... cause that doesnt really make us any better than we are this year

as far as my stab at the 23 man, itl be pretty vague until we see who is resigned and who hits free agency

LLW
Kane - Scheifele/Burmi - UFA/Trade
Wright - Scheifele/Burmi - UFA/AHL/Trade/Draft Pick

4th line will likely be Slater plus some combination of remaining players, whether they be someone like peluso, or gagnon, or new faces... Shouldnt matter too much i think we have a surplus of players capable of doing a good job with sheltered minutes

Santorelli/O'dell/thorbs as extras or something like that

Buff - Enstrom
Kulda/Trouba - Bogosian
Kulda/Trouba/Stuart - Postma/Redmond (yes i know trouba is a RHD, i just really believe theyl fit him in somewhere, i think hes that good)

whoever is left over can be the two or three odd dmen out

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Vancouver has the buy out clause, so they should be fine. They won't buy out Luongo but Ballard maybe a canadiate.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
No problem with the lineup, but I think all our top RFA will be expecting more than you are willing to pay them. I'm assuming they all have top flight agents that will be going for market value.

I have said it b4 ............ Bogo...... do not make the same mistake Nashville did with Sutter and Webber...... pay top dollar now for 8 years ....... 8years X 5.5 mill for a total of 44 milion for the cornerstone def-man we need......what seems to be a over- payment now will be a bargin in the future.........:yo:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm not saying the Jets are a better team simply by subtracting him, just that it has clearly been proven that they can win without him. He's worth more as an asset than what he brings to the current team. If trading Enstrom nets a top line C or RW to play with Kane it would be very hard to pass that up.

The only person you could not use that logic on is Slater.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I have said it b4 ............ Bogo...... do not make the same mistake Nashville did with Sutter and Webber...... pay top dollar now for 8 years ....... 8years X 5.5 mill for a total of 44 milion for the cornerstone def-man we need......what seems to be a over- payment now will be a bargin in the future.........:yo:

If he doesn't improve that would be a massive overpayment and people will be crying over his contract for a long long time.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Tampa Bay just paid 5.5 for Matt Carle over 6 years.......But he was Ufa........................................ I have seen enough to make this commitment....... I think we will be sorry if we dont.........and I think it is a fair deal for him ....giving he has 2 years to UFA and the chance of injury...................... get the big contract and if every thing pans out.... a super big conract when he is 31-32...........Winnipeg .Jets allowed to trade him in the last year of his contract................:(

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
You talking about Bogosian? I don't know about that. Bogo has been a little disappointing this year. Not bad by any means but I think we all expected more out of him. He's still very young.

Bogo is the core of this team more so than Kane............I hope TNSE and chevy realize that as much as I do...........

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I would tend to agree with this. If the Jets want to buy his UFA years they will need to pay for them. If they are only offering $ 16 M over 4 years why would Bogo sign? If he went to arbitration he would get close to $ 4 M on a 1 year contract and in the process Chevy would risk damaging the relationship. Then he is only 1 year away from UFA and we risk a Suter/Weber type situation. Even if Bogo never progressed passed what he is now as a mid 20's UFA he would be offered $ 5 M + on a long term contract by someone.

IMO if you ever gave Bogo the keys to the defense... install him as the top pairing every situation D-man (preferably with an offensive puck mover like Toby) you would see him blossom into a star.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I would tend to agree with this. If the Jets want to buy his UFA years they will need to pay for them. If they are only offering $ 16 M over 4 years why would Bogo sign? If he went to arbitration he would get close to $ 4 M on a 1 year contract and in the process Chevy would risk damaging the relationship. Then he is only 1 year away from UFA and we risk a Suter/Weber type situation. Even if Bogo never progressed passed what he is now as a mid 20's UFA he would be offered $ 5 M + on a long term contract by someone.

IMO if you ever gave Bogo the keys to the defense... install him as the top pairing every situation D-man (preferably with an offensive puck mover like Toby) you would see him blossom into a star.

Exactly this.

Get it done Mr. Chevy

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If he doesn't improve that would be a massive overpayment and people will be crying over his contract for a long long time.

I don't know we have seen what UFA D men sign for and in most cases they can't do what Bogosian can do and make pretty big money. The question will be what is market value for him when he becomes a UFA......last season he finished in the to 30 D men in PPG and top 10 in PP/60 5v5. This year he is off to a slower start offensively but is still trending to 30 points over an 82 game schedule. Zach came off major surgery in the off season and who knows whether that has slowed him a touch offensively but we are talking about a young big shut down D man who can put up top 30 D points and play 25 minutes a night against the other teams best and he has not begun to enter his prime yet.

He is going to get paid it's just a matter of who will be stroking the check.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know we have seen what UFA D men sign for and in most cases they can't do what Bogosian can do and make pretty big money. The question will be what is market value for him when he becomes a UFA......last season he finished in the to 30 D men in PPG and top 10 in PP/60 5v5. This year he is off to a slower start offensively but is still trending to 30 points over an 82 game schedule. Zach came off major surgery in the off season and who knows whether that has slowed him a touch offensively but we are talking about a young big shut down D man who can put up top 30 D points and play 25 minutes a night against the other teams best and he has not begun to enter his prime yet.

He is going to get paid it's just a matter of who will be stroking the check.

And I hope it is us. I say sign him early and long term. I can't fathom if we fall into the trap the Preds did. They lost a Norris caliber D in his prime for nothing and then had to eat a terrible contract on their other Norris caliber D because they dithered and he got offer sheeted. If they could go back 2 years do you think they would have played things differently? Not saying Bogo is a Norris caliber D...yet, but as of now he projects to be the anchor of our defense and we are no where deep enough to let that go.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
You talking about Bogosian? I don't know about that. Bogo has been a little disappointing this year. Not bad by any means but I think we all expected more out of him. He's still very young.

I don't think Bogosian has been disappointing at all. Had the season started in October, Bogosian would have missed all training camp, preseason + the first 4 months of the season, only to come back mid-February and slip right into the top 4 while really not missing a beat.

It's actually pretty damn impressive what he's done. I am an admitted Zach Bogosian fan, but for any player that can have offseason surgery, miss what in a normal year would be training camp, pre-season, and 4 months of the season, only to return in the form Bogo has... that to me is impressive any way you slice it.

Now, it could probably be said that the lockout has been a big help to Zach upon his return because every player had to get back up to game speed, timing, etc, but even still Zach returned a full month after the season had started.

Last edited:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
The only person you could not use that logic on is Slater.

Huh? Why would you even bring up a 4th liner? Enstrom has real trade value. We'd be getting good pieces in return. When a player is worth more on the market than he is to your team (in terms of added wins)..... that's when you move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad