Injury Report: Big Buff Discussion 2

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It sucked how it ended with Buff but at least he didn't play the last 2 seasons at 50% for 15 million dollars . I know some people are looking at this as he had a signed contract for 2 more years but if he wasn't 100% wouldn't they get pissed at his play on the ice? especially at 7.6 million a season.
Why are the only two options for him to suck or for him to retire? How about option 3 where he gets his lazy ass motivated to get/stay in shape and plays for the next two years like he agreed to? He was medically cleared by the Jets at the end of the season. This isn't a major injury he was heading into the summer with.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
No it doesn't. That was inevitable from the point where Chevy told him to take some time to think about retirement. It was the automatic response when he didn't report to TC. All it says was that he didn't report, which was not news. There is no other significance to the suspension.
As far as Buff was concerned, exactly. Other than just like everyone else, Buff has to show up to work to get paid.

As far as the team, that was the only way to make his cap space available.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As far as Buff was concerned, exactly. Other than just like everyone else, Buff has to show up to work to get paid.

As far as the team, that was the only way to make his cap space available.

Yes, but at the time of the suspension it didn't even affect the cap. It was just SOP at that point. I think Chevy still had hopes of Buff coming back, cap hit and all.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
At least Buff just quit all together and didn't sit out like a spoiled child and then demand a trade to ONE frigging team . If as Jets fans you want to be pissed off at someone be pissed off at Trouba .
You think its worse for a man WITHOUT a contract to do his best to get paid what he feels he is worth and work geographically where it makes for his family than a man who made a commitment to play and just quit?

Trouba also did not control where he was traded to in any way. He was a year away from UFA where he earned the right to chose between locations. The Jets knew what was happening for years before the trade. The Jets also made a choice to keep him until he had just one year left. They could have traded him years before hand and Trouba would have had more value to more teams.

So no, Trouba did nothing wrong and was fairly transparent to the team. Buff made a contractual commitment, was not transparent and the Jets got only no value but negative value when you consider they couldn't even use his cap space last year.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You think its worse for a man WITHOUT a contract to do his best to get paid what he feels he is worth and work geographically where it makes for his family than a man who made a commitment to play and just quit?

Trouba also did not control where he was traded to in any way. He was a year away from UFA where he earned the right to chose between locations. The Jets knew what was happening for years before the trade. The Jets also made a choice to keep him until he had just one year left. They could have traded him years before hand and Trouba would have had more value to more teams.

So no, Trouba did nothing wrong and was fairly transparent to the team. Buff made a contractual commitment, was not transparent and the Jets got only no value but negative value when you consider they couldn't even use his cap space last year.
Didn't Trouba have a contract when he sat out and missed our Heritage Classic game in Winnipeg ? Probably the biggest game ever held in Winnipeg to date. Buff was 35 and a part of some of the biggest hits in hockey , gotta figure that takes it toll on the brain.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Didn't Trouba have a contract when he sat out and missed our Heritage Classic game in Winnipeg ? Probably the biggest game ever held in Winnipeg to date. Buff was 35 and a part of some of the biggest hits in hockey , gotta figure that takes it toll on the brain.

He did not have a contract and was fully within his rights to hold out.

Reactions: TS Quint

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
At least Buff just quit all together and didn't sit out like a spoiled child and then demand a trade to ONE frigging team . If as Jets fans you want to be pissed off at someone be pissed off at Trouba .
I thank Jacob Trouba every day.

I love Neal Pionk - I bet he gets better and better.
I also can't wait to see Ville Heinola as a regular.
The extra money we saved helped us with the cap (not considering the Buff situation).

Not mad at Jacob Trouba at all. Now hes the Rangers 56MM problem.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Trouba would have looked a LOT better this year if JMo was his partner just as JMo would have looked better with Trouba as his partner.
His contract is WAY too much but that's New York for you.
I am more than happy with Pionk and Heinola and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Heinola makes the team next season. It's too bad he won't have the chance to play with Buff as his partner but I can see him and Demelo being a great 2nd pair for us in the future.

As far as Buff goes, nobody will ever know the whole story outside of a few people. His own wife was taken by surprise when he said he was done! He's made a shit ton of money and loves to fish and hunt and has 3 young children. I totally respect his decision and if Chevy had said okay to his retirement in TC last fall, there woould be a whole different set of circumstances. Don't get me wrong, I would have told Buff to take some time to make sure he was at peace with it but things sure would have been a lot different.

Does anyone have a link to that interview with Buff's old room mate (Keith)?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Whileee

May 29, 2010

The extra money we saved helped us with the cap (not considering the Buff situation).

I liked Trouba and still think he's a good D. But the Jets quite likely got some of his best years for a very reasonable cap hit, and then managed to trade him for a good top 4 D and a 1st. The Rangers have security on RD for an extended period of time, but they are paying full cap price, along with sending a couple of very good assets out.

Overall, the Jets did well with the deal.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Very good post, and true what you say here. I was on the Ranger's forum about 2 months ago --maybe 3, and a lot of them were really questioning the value of Trouba, and a lot wanted him traded before his no move clause kicks in. They just don't feel he's worth close to the money the Rangers are paying him.

Trouba's a good solid, tough defenseman IMO, but for what their paying him, and what we're paying Pionk -- this whole deal really worked out well for the Jets. Pionk's a damn good defenseman, and had more points than Trouba this past season. The Jet's came out just great here.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Definitely looking retired...

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 41

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I think that pic is off buff is great and all the best to him. If his heart wasn't in it anymore this is a brilliant move by him and in a weird way shows his respect for the game. I imagine when you play a physical game at that level when your motivation slips thats probably when concussions and what not seem to happen with more frequency. He lost some cash but he may have inadvertently gained more years to enjoy the mountain he already earned for a longer time. wish we could all be so lunky!

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think that pic is off buff is great and all the best to him. If his heart wasn't in it anymore this is a brilliant move by him and in a weird way shows his respect for the game. I imagine when you play a physical game at that level when your motivation slips thats probably when concussions and what not seem to happen with more frequency. He lost some cash but he may have inadvertently gained more years to enjoy the mountain he already earned for a longer time. wish we could all be so lunky!
you had me til “Lunky”...lol... then you lost me... just kidding
Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->