Player Discussion Big Ben Harpur

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think he's a career bottom pair D, but crazier things have happened. He's only 24 in Jan.

I think they have him pegged as our #4 D this season. Given our current D core, he should have a major opportunity to play bigger minutes than might be available to him if he were on an average NHL team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nice mobility and solid passer for a big guy. Had some strong games for Ottawa, and some where he looked lost. I think he probably sits as a 3rd pairing, but you never know. Maybe if something clicks, he might sneak in as a #4.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Looked like the natural main roster replacement for Borowiecki in the '17 playoffs.
Looked like a 2nd pairing AHL defenceman last season, at best. He was really, really bad,

Not holding my breath that he becomes anything more than a 6/7 guy at the NHL level, but the potential is there to carve out a career as a bottom pairing guy. He's not there yet though, IMO.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
7th defencman who will swap duties with Wolanin & Wideman.

He won't just wake up and become a Chara. What we see is what he is. For a big guy he doesn't use his size, but it's his hockey sense/decision making that is not quite regular-duty NHL level yet.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I worry he may get put in a role he can't handle and look worse because of it, but if handled correctly, I think he can carve out a career as a solid bottom pairing Dman.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If Harpur is a lock than we are in even deeper trouble than I thought.

I see him as a 7th dman who will spend most of his time in the stands. Can't believe they gave him a one-way contract.

Actually, this is Dorion's work so I can 100% believe it. Nevermind.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
7th. No better, at this time, usually you are able to see the development and progression of players. I don't think he will be better than this.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I worry he may get put in a role he can't handle and look worse because of it, but if handled correctly, I think he can carve out a career as a solid bottom pairing Dman.

I mostly agree with this but would OK instead of solid (and for a poor team at that). Corsi numbers were OK for his deployment and competition, but would indicate he is not ready to move up from a third pairing role. Offense is 1/10th of Cecis so minimal expectations there.

Basically he is keeping the spot warm until the team has more capable players ready to go. I see the LD (after Chabot) consisting of Harpur, Boro and Wolanin. One of those third pairing will have to play 2nd pairing.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He took a step back last year. He looked great (for the most part) during the playoff run. But last year he was making some glaring mistakes. I think he's a 6/7 tweener.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He'll fill in as a capable 6th or 7th D-man, too bad he's really soft with the size he has.

I definitely wouldn't call him soft. At one point they had to tell him to focus on playing hockey rather than all the extra stuff, I think he hasn't been comfortable at the NHL level yet. He has the tools to carve out a successful career, he has yet to put it all together yet. If he ever finds some confidence and actually believes he belongs, I suspect he will surprise a lot of people.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I’m optimistic that he will find his role and be a solid 5-6. He’s shown lots of upside before and I believe he will be fine.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO he could be a 3rd pairing D-Man in the NHL or he could play higher in the lineup if his size & toughness are required. He is a left shot but can play either side & spent one yr on the right side while playing with Englund in Belleville. If he continues to play well with Chabot & has the size & toughness to protect Chabot when required I would be fine with him playing on that first pairing more consistently. Or on the second pairing with Lajoie who could use someone with a little more toughness as a partner.

Given how much ice time Chabot gets I imagine that all of the defencemen get some ice time with him. Harpur has some offence to his game as well as he proved with Guelph & leading the rookie tournament in scoring one yr. He's a decent skater for his size & can play a tougher role, he just needs more experience to cut down on the rookie mistakes & become more confident in his role.

Last edited:

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
Does anyone know what's happening with Harpur? He came in, played really well for a few games, got hurt, and I haven't heard anything since.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
Shout out to harps. He's been playing really well recently, and our team has been better defensively this year while he's been in the lineup.
I'm a huge proponent of him being a potential too 4 D. He has the size, reach, and skating to go along with it. Recently he's been showing he can bring a real edge, too. If he can cut down on some mental errors and adjust, he could be really good.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Shout out to harps. He's been playing really well recently, and our team has been better defensively this year while he's been in the lineup.
I'm a huge proponent of him being a potential too 4 D. He has the size, reach, and skating to go along with it. Recently he's been showing he can bring a real edge, too. If he can cut down on some mental errors and adjust, he could be really good.
Well said. The mental errors have always been my biggest concern with him. Hopefully they go away as he gets more comfortable and familiar with the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad