Big 12 adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF in 2023

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all

Well, the Big 12 should become a superconference too. Lots of schools want to be in the P5.

Here's what an 18-team Big 12 could look like (the irony is that while two Big 12 schools are going to the SEC to make it 16 there, the Big 12 eventually becomes larger than the SEC)

East:
Cincinnati
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
UCF
West Virginia

Central:
Baylor
Houston
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
Tulane

West:
Boise State
BYU
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

Four schools - three division winners and the best runner-up (using conference records only) would compete for the right to be named Big 12 champion in football, with a semifinal round preceding the championship game.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Big 12 would also have a critical advantage over the other P5 conferences with my proposed alignment - they are spread across almost the entire US, only the Pacific Time Zone not having any members (among the four in the lower 48).

The other P5 leagues are more or less confined to a certain part of the country - the ACC on the East Coast (except Louisville and Notre Dame), the Big Ten in the Midwest or in three cases, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pac-12 in the West, and the SEC in the South (except arguably Missouri).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think you're overstating the positives of that. Eastern and western kids aren't going to really care about playing in front of home fans once or twice a collegiate career, and Midwestern and Southern kids are far more interested in the Big 10 and SEC.

This is just a Frankenstein* conference in the making. At most, this might help newcomers attract Texans than anything.

* https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/frankenstein_2x.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Big 12 would also have a critical advantage over the other P5 conferences with my proposed alignment - they are spread across almost the entire US, only the Pacific Time Zone not having any members (among the four in the lower 48).

The other P5 leagues are more or less confined to a certain part of the country - the ACC on the East Coast (except Louisville and Notre Dame), the Big Ten in the Midwest or in three cases, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pac-12 in the West, and the SEC in the South (except arguably Missouri).

Looks like it’s going to be a P4 with the Big 12 becoming the next AAC.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This conference is going to span 3 different time zones :confused:

It's absurd.

upload_2021-9-13_21-13-33.png

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Looks like it’s going to be a P4 with the Big 12 becoming the next AAC.

Agreed. At this point the big 12 has more in common with the AAC than the ACC or PAC 12.

Perhaps its better that only 4 conferences have a legit shot at providing national champions.

Reactions: PCSPounder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad