Friedman: Bieksa only willing to sign in or near California

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Because no one will actually read the link. Quite clear about why.

8. Kevin Bieksa said Tuesday that he was talking to an NHL team as recently as two weeks ago about something for this season, but ultimately said no because it meant living alone too far from his family. “My wife (Katie) is very supportive about me playing if I want to. Same with my father and my brothers. Saying no was not their decision. But being away from my children at this time in their lives is not something I’m interested in at this point in their lives.”
His son is turning 11, his daughter nine. He’s taking them to school every day, attending their extra-curricular pursuits, happy to be a dad. “I’m not retired, but it would have to be something close to home (California).”
9. Asked if he was still training, Bieksa answered. “Yes, as if I was going to play.” He’s scheduled to compete in what is called a Spartan obstacle race next month in Dallas. It’s a four-mile run with more than 20 obstacles. “I’m still in better shape than 95 per cent of the players and 100 per cent of the media.”

He had me up until "I'm still in better shape than 95 per cent of players." Yeah maybe in his local senior league.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He had me up until "I'm still in better shape than 95 per cent of players." Yeah maybe in his local senior league.
He's talking about the players in the Spartan race right? because maybe I could see why he would think that, but he can't be talking about nhl players... right?

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

When he was with the Canucks, the only players who performed better on the fitness tests were the Sedins.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'm sure he's made plenty of friends on the Sharks and Kings..

Kevin+Bieksa+Kyle+Clifford+Anaheim+Ducks+v+Z9NF55ZLRGvl.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm sure he's made plenty of friends on the Sharks and Kings..

The Canucks thought they had a deal worked out with the Sharks for Bieksa at the 2015 Draft. If I recall correctly, San Jose was going to send the 39th pick to Vancouver. It got to the point where Bieksa and his wife were checking out homes in San Jose.

San Jose traded up from the 39th spot to take Jeremy Roy at #31. They tried to circle back and offered a 2016 2nd round pick instead, but I think Vancouver's management was a little upset thinking they already had a deal in place. A few days later, Vancouver opted to deal Bieksa to Anaheim for their 2016 2nd round pick instead.

I'd imagine San Jose wouldn't be interested now, but apparently they were not too long ago.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Being not good and limiting yourself to like 3-5 teams is not a great business strategy. I get it though. He’s played lots of years and wants to retire in California. Can’t blame him for that.

Good pay for a year or two in the warm climate . His passion to win are over. It’s the pay cheque and nice weather .

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

8. Kevin Bieksa said Tuesday that he was talking to an NHL team as recently as two weeks ago about something for this season, but ultimately said no because it meant living alone too far from his family. “My wife (Katie) is very supportive about me playing if I want to. Same with my father and my brothers. Saying no was not their decision. But being away from my children at this time in their lives is not something I’m interested in at this point in their lives.”
His son is turning 11, his daughter nine. He’s taking them to school every day, attending their extra-curricular pursuits, happy to be a dad. “I’m not retired, but it would have to be something close to home (California).”
9. Asked if he was still training, Bieksa answered. “Yes, as if I was going to play.” He’s scheduled to compete in what is called a Spartan obstacle race next month in Dallas. It’s a four-mile run with more than 20 obstacles. “I’m still in better shape than 95 per cent of the players and 100 per cent of the media.”

Well obviously. I'm pretty sure, reading the article or not, people would guess that family is the reason.

But everyone is correct in that it will pretty much be impossible to get a job.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

9. Asked if he was still training, Bieksa answered. “Yes, as if I was going to play.” He’s scheduled to compete in what is called a Spartan obstacle race next month in Dallas. It’s a four-mile run with more than 20 obstacles. “I’m still in better shape than 95 per cent of the players and 100 per cent of the media.

Welcome to the Gulls, Kevin. Dallas Eakins is always looking for another biking buddy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The guy is a legend in his own mind.............should be able to retire at this point...no one really cares about this guy. Be a family guy and stop whining about it Kev.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Where is the whining?
The fact that he needed to go public with it, to make himself look like a good guy................who says he is in better shape than 95% of the rest of the guys who actually are playing................

The guy thinks he is all that, and he has pretty much been a nothing his whole career and yet finds a way to be arrogant even when trying to be a nice guy.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
It’s like one week before opener pretty sure any team that may have wanted his services would of called by now.

This is like a homeless guy being picky on what donation food he eats

Jul 6, 2016
Bieksa loves the ocean and surfing. Trade him to Hawaii !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad