Bids for 2015 & 2016 CIS Championships

Mar 1, 2013
We now know how many bids there are for the next round of nationals: 4. St. Mary's-St. FX joint bid, Acadia, UPEI and lastly - for those who point out it's technically the OUA's turn in the rotation - Ryerson.

St. Mary's-St. FX as well as Acadia both propose hosting it at the Halifax Metro Centre, while Ryerson would obviously love to stage the event in their new rink inside Maple Leaf Gardens.

http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/cis_news/2013-14/releases/20130927-cis

The difference in Ryerson's bid though is it's only for 2016, while the other three schools are going for both years as usual. Probably has to do with the fact that the Rams aren't nearly that kind of a contender just yet.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I had not heard of Ryerson's bid before this. Upon checking the link, I see that they also bid for 2015 men's basketball.

IMO the hosting should be for one year at a time. It is always possible to host a secod tournament 3 years later, during which most manpower and sponsors should still be available.

It would also be nice for Ryerson to show off the new Maple Leaf Gardens and that alone could draw a few extra viewers on TV.

Also, I like the rotation.

So unless there exists a major deficiency in their bid, I would say let them have it. Then PEI could host in 2015 and then the Nova Scotians could all pile into Halifax in 2017.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Like hell if I would ever put the kind of effort we put in for just one year of hosting, and it would definitely not be as profitable for the schools with the guarantees required by the CIS.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
How can Acadia hope of beating the joint SMU/STFX bid?

Personally I am hoping for PEI. They have great fans that really support the program.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A couple of things. Acadia is partnered with the Metro Center meaning the full weight of promotion and (I believe) a bigger piece of the pie for the CIS. Kevin Dickie was the AD for 2 successful events at UNB.

SFX/SMU bid has a promotion firm doing the work. These guys are very good at what they do, but it is added expense.

However, given the track record of SMU the past couple of seasons I would expect the winner to be SFX/SMU. I would be happy with any AUS host, but it would be strange for me to be at the Nationals and sleep in my own bed.

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
Hello AUS fan!
although I am sure that anyone in the AUS will do a fine job as a host! Doesn't it seem strange that the OUA, who control all the votes and dick around every year with the CIS format etc, never bid on this tournament. Lakehead stepped up to the plate once as did that combined disaster bid of Guelph and company but....they want to be a major player and decision maker but never step up to the plate. They involve themselves at every major meeting where votes decide the CIS landscape for the years to come and then want three teams to be paid for by the host.....time to step up you pretenders! I had heard Western was planning instead we get a one year attempt for 2016 from Ryerson. Can I talk this way on this forum?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm hearing that Western might have had a booking conflict with the rink they wanted to use (John Labatt Centre?). Shame, as I think London is one of the few Southern Ontario markets where the University Cup might work. Maybe they'll bid again next time around.

Ryerson's bid counts on them getting basketball one year and hockey the other. I just don't see it, when you have lot of other bidders willing to do two-year deals.

But it is the CIS, and as mentioned, the OUA has a ton of votes ...

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good to hear from you dale. You must have some free time now that the Potash has been harvested and stuff. I fully agree with your views on the OUA and their lack of participation in hosting these events. If the only bids are from the AUS and Ryerson I would have to assume that the AUS will win.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I believe that hosting nationals could also be a springboard to popularizing CIS hockey in areas where it has not had traditional fan support. So places like Ryerson, UBC, McGill, and loads of others should be encouraged to bid. Even if it is only for one year, instead of two.

BTW, hosting nationals in a smaller venue which is full and at least looks good on TV would be better than a cavernous half-empty arena.

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
Good to hear from you dale. You must have some free time now that the Potash has been harvested and stuff. I fully agree with your views on the OUA and their lack of participation in hosting these events. If the only bids are from the AUS and Ryerson I would have to assume that the AUS will win.

can't make a prediction on your assumption AUS but one year bids haven't been done for a maculine hockey event in my time? Or yours for that matter! :laugh:

regarding the notion that western had a conflict with the venue....that is a lame excuse. all the OUA dudes were given plenty of notice and information that if they agreed to move the UCUP one week earlier they would not have a conflict in any CHL venue. Sask received permission last year from the CIS coaches and in turn the AD's. they asked again this year and were turned down by the vote nation of OUA. Seems it might conflict with that one game championship and then the recovery required for the 3 participants ( 14 days needed before the start of the UCUP.)
So then ....
they all look into the bid package and the dates.....
Only to find out that indeed starting the tournament on the third week/weekend of March is the start of our nations CHL playoffs. SEE ya. Guess they didnt know better after all.
BTW i'mhoping for PEI and their bid! I am sure the Anne of Green Gables museum will be even more exciting then the last time I walked thru it! I watched the Acadia video....made me nervous;) I'm done talking I will get in trouble as per usual! See you when the geese come back!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad