Blue Jays Discussion: Beyond the Braves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Any offer for Sam Dyson is definitely a "We'll give you this terrible minor-league org guy you've never heard of and take Dyson off your hands if you pay most of his salary" type of deal.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Yeah that's true. I'm not saying that Logan Warmoth has no chance of becoming a good pick, just that I find that players like Warmoth are really overrated as draft prospects. We all do make mistakes though, I remember thinking the Red Sox got a steal when they picked Trey Ball in 2013 :laugh:.

Again, there isn't anything wrong with your analysis of average-tooled players. The issue is that you are miscasting Warmoth as one of those players when in reality he has real offensive upside (good bat speed, consistent hard contact with above-average speed) on top of a defensive profile that can easily stick at a premium position.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
2nd time through the league...sell now.

He's right now the only one that's contributing to the basic fantasy categories on my team that includes Posey (Traded Belt and Sandy Leon lol), Bryant, Seager, Machado (Traded Stanton, Rendon and the Dirty), Marte, Carpenter, Myers, and Braun. Also have Joey, who's slowed down after that nice stretch.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He's right now the only one that's contributing to the basic fantasy categories on my team that includes Posey (Traded Belt and Sandy Leon lol), Bryant, Seager, Machado (Traded Stanton, Rendon and the Dirty), Marte, Carpenter, Myers, and Braun. Also have Joey, who's slowed down after that nice stretch.

Machado is going to start hitting any minute now. Carpenter will as well. Bryant and Seager are two of the best young hitters in baseball.

You could definitely sell Judge to someone high(AF) right now, for say a Betts + decent MI (think Turner) combo. Mind you, the hypothetical owner of those two would have to be a little slow, but that's the type of return I'm talking about.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Again, there isn't anything wrong with your analysis of average-tooled players. The issue is that you are miscasting Warmoth as one of those players when in reality he has real offensive upside (good bat speed, consistent hard contact with above-average speed) on top of a defensive profile that can easily stick at a premium position.

I think our main difference is how likely we view Warmoth sticking at SS. I would probably like him much more (not be my favorite prospect, but be someone I would be fine with the Jays selecting) if I knew he could stick at shortstop. I just don't see it as particularly likely.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Machado is going to start hitting any minute now. Carpenter will as well. Bryant and Seager are two of the best young hitters in baseball.

You could definitely sell Judge to someone high(AF) right now, for say a Betts + decent MI (think Turner) combo. Mind you, the hypothetical owner of those two would have to be a little slow, but that's the type of return I'm talking about.

wait a sec....are you saying judge would cost the sox Betts PLUS?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm inclined to trust the FO for now in the draft given what Zeuch, Bichette, and Jones are doing already from last year. But that comes with caveats - Zeuch is solid but not spectacular, Jones may be an april blip, and the rest of the draft kinda looks like a barren wasteland already, even though there were a lot of older picks who should have been able to be productive already.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I'm inclined to trust the FO for now in the draft given what Zeuch, Bichette, and Jones are doing already from last year. But that comes with caveats - Zeuch is solid but not spectacular, Jones may be an april blip, and the rest of the draft kinda looks like a barren wasteland already, even though there were a lot of older picks who should have been able to be productive already.

We hired a new Amateur Scouting Director after last year's draft so I wouldn't base too much on what we did last year. Despite popular belief, in baseball the draft is heavily conducted by the front office members who are allocated to Amateur scouting, which means that Steve Sanders is orchestrating most of these picks with influence from other high-ranking assistants (ie: Ben Cherington, Tony LaCava, etc).

We don't pick high enough for Atkins let alone Shapiro (LOL) to be making any calls themselves.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i mean, they replaced most of the scouting staff iirc. the results are on them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
oh wait - you're saying all the firings came after the draft? so zeuch/bichette/jones are sorta AA picks?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
SP Hoffman (24): 9gs, 5.2ip/gs, 21.9k%/8.0b%, 4.05era, 4.76fip, 4.14xfip, 4.19siera, 1.6awar/32gs
RP Hoffman (24): 3gms, 5.1ip, 17.4k%/13.0b%, 3.38era, 5.75xfip, 4.59xfip, 4.66siera, 0.6awar/65ip

Hoffman (AAA): 30gs, 5.4ip/gs, 23.1k%/8.6b%, 3.93era, 4.07fip, 4.27xfip

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
i'm confused - who takes responsibility for last year's draft? who do i congratulate for the bichette pick?

I'm confused, too. I didn't realize it was that important to know who gets credit for each pick.

But if you really feel that need, it's probably best to just give credit to the person in charge when the pick was made. If you really want, you could work your way down the chain of command from the President to the GM to the AGMs to the Scouting Director and all the scouts responsible for scouting and signing a specific player, then assign credit based on who's responsible for hiring each of those guys. But... you know... that's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad