Blue Jays Discussion: Beyond the Braves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wonder if they put Martin on the DL - kinda scary cuz that would mean Salty would get a call-up

Scary part is that he is doing "well" in AAA with a 115 wRC+ and a 21% walk rate. That being said you got to think Ohlman gets the call before Salty; either way they have to make room on the 40 man for one of them.

Im more interested in what the Jays do when Sparkman is ready to go. You have to think Barnes, Loup and Tepera are on this team for the rest of the season. So one of Grilli or Howell have to be DFA, i am sure they will try to salvage something with Howell as he is the lefty and out of the two of the MAYBE Grilli is more likely to accept the DFA.

Could get rid of Coghlan but running a 4 man bench might not be ideal especially with Travis' injury.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
IMO top 5 easy, just because of Vlad and Bichette. They are doing things you don't see often at their age. I'm talking about numbers that guys like Trout and Harper were doing.

Top five is aggressive given that the Braves, White Sox, Padres, Brewers, Reds, and Rays all were ranked ahead of them at the beginning of the season, each have at least five on the BBA top-100 as of May, and have top 11 picks in one week.

Then you also have to leap frog the Yankees, Dodgers, Rockies, and Astros.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Longenhagen has released his mock draft.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-2017-mock-draft/

22. Toronto – Logan Warmoth, SS, North Carolina
Warmoth might go earlier than this, and I think Florida RHP Alex Faedo is a possibility here, too. Toronto is the first team to pick twice, so this might be an overslot prospect.

Though he's just an average runner without the silky smooth hands typically associated with the position, Warmoth has a plus arm and good defensive feet that might allow him to play there long term. He also has plus bat speed and above average pull power, though Warmoth is vulnerable against breaking balls on the outer half. HE has a chance to play short and hit for some power and scouts think the bat might profile at third or second should he have to move.

Faedo's velocity (mostly 91-94, flat at times) and command have backed up a bit this year but they're still at least average, his slider has retained plus projection and he has a chance at a viable three-pitch mix, though the changeup is firm and clearly below average right now. There are concerns about injury, not necessarily due to Faedo's unique delivery but rather because he had arthroscopic surgery on both of his knees last fall. He has looked more like an average big league starter this spring but if the velo spikes back up in pro ball he has more of a mid-rotation profile.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Looks like we are calling up Beliveau, wonder if that means Howell is about to be DFA?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'd cut Grilli before Howell but won't be sad to see either one of them go.

If this is us going to a 9 man bullpen even though we are about have 3 off days in the next 10 days than I give the :dunno:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'd cut Grilli before Howell but won't be sad to see either one of them go.

If this is us going to a 9 man bullpen even though we are about have 3 off days in the next 10 days than I give the :dunno:

If it's the lefty coming up, I imagine it's the lefty getting cut.

I'm guessing Grilli gets a little extra rope because of his 2016 contributions.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They also have that Jays Auction Fire Up the Grilli package that they have to get done with whoever bought it before they DFA Grilli :sarcasm:

It actually says at the bottom "*Player subject to change without notice". It would be hilarous if they DFA'd Grilli and whoever bought it gets to meet and whatever with a different player. It would probably be for the better anyway. On a related note, that disclaimer isn't there for the Pillar one so we're not trading Pillar anytime soon, confirmed :laugh:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
They also have that Jays Auction Fire Up the Grilli package that they have to get done with whoever bought it before they DFA Grilli :sarcasm:

It actually says at the bottom "*Play subject to change without notice". It would be hilarous if they DFA'd Grilli and whoever bought it gets to meet and whatever with a different player. It would probably be for the better anyway. On a related note, that disclaimer isn't there for the Pillar one so we're not trading Pillar anytime soon, confirmed :laugh:

I just want to see if he can last until Grilli apron day a week Sunday.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I would like to play CF next season.

Ryan should remember how life was when he was known as Dennis, and try to get this reliever money.

Agreed. As of now he should worry about keeping and improving on his role this season. With Stroman, Sanchez, Happ and Biagini presumable having spots it would be tough for him to crack... especially if you think the Jays would try to re-sign Estrada which i think they will.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Agreed. As of now he should worry about keeping and improving on his role this season. With Stroman, Sanchez, Happ and Biagini presumable having spots it would be tough for him to crack... especially if you think the Jays would try to re-sign Estrada which i think they will.

Yeah...that...and his stuff plays down. Like way down as a starter. Like...Casey Lawrence/Josh Towers down. Also, relying on the cutter that much as a starter doesn't usually work.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Meant to post this on the weekend:

Updated Past Calendar Year wRC+ and ERA- for TOR/BOS/NYY

Donaldson 167 -- Betts 130 ------ Sanchez 155
Morales 129 ---- Ramirez 130 ---- Judge 154
Martin 125 ------ Pedroia 112 ---- Holliday 119
Bautista 115 --- Bogaerts 108 --- Hicks 114
Tulowitzki 108 - Leon 106 -------- Gardner 110
Travis 106 ------ Benintendi 104 - Castro 109
Smoak 104 ------ Moreland 105 -- Gregorius 107
Pearce 99 ------- Bradley 99 ------ Carter 105
Pillar 95 --------- Sandoval 81 ----- Headley 92

Coghlan 85 ----- Young 106 ------ Ellsbury 91
Carrera 81 ----- Vazquez 91 ----- Torreyes 78
Barney 60 ------ Holt 89 ---------- Refsnyder 63
Maile 39 -------- Rutledge 43 ---- Romine 51

Sanchez 72 ---- Porcello 73 ---- Montgomery 87
Happ 80 -------- Price 80 --------- Pineda 93
Stroman 92 ----- Sale 82 -------- Tanaka 100
Estrada 94 ----- Pomeranz 95 --- Sabathia 100
Liriano 113 ---- Rodriguez 99 --- Severino 100
Biagini 77 ------ Wright 112 ------ Green 131

Tepera 63 ------ Scott 22 --------- Green 28
Smith 70 ------- Kelly 29 ---------- Chapman 43
Loup 70 -------- Thornburg 38 --- Betances 56
Osuna 77 ------- Kimbrel 61 ----- Shreve 66
Barnes 80 ------ Hembree 74 ------ Clippard 77
Biagini 88 ------ Barnes 99 ------ Holder 95
Howell 105 ----- Abad 108 ------- Warren 99
Grilli 118 ------- Smith -- ----------- Layne 105

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Howell to the (phantom) DL. good move. we should do that more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad