Beware of the forums

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Get @Buffaloed and @Fugu to read this thread because this is just sketchy if true.

Why? Anyone has the right to decide how his own browser operates...

edit: or maybe I got your 'sketchy' the wrong way? Because yes, hfboards is just getting ridiculous with the ads and videos and all kinds of other filth like hoarding all your browsing data.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I've managed to make it run like it used to by blocking JavaScript from HfBoards.

It's the only way I found to prevent horrible lag.
Thanks for this! The only problem is now it's harder to quote/reply/like/etc. Also, I can't see YouTube videos, tweets, etc. But yes, it essentially runs a lot smoother!

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Just go to:

setting -> advanced -> Content settings -> javascript

And then add hfboards.mandatory.com in the 'block' section.

It messes up a few things, but at least the invasive stuff goes and you can browse, post etc. with no lag.
Thank you!

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I'm not sure how you guys are having so much trouble with it. Runs smoothly on all my devices. I tried visiting with Opera on PC (mostly because I had never used Opera and was curious) and THAT actually made all the ads a lot worse for me for whatever reason.

I use Chrome with AdBlock on PC.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Firefox has Java disabled by default for all sites since version 52, I think. It runs really smoothly with adblock plus addon on PC.

I've got no issues on Android 7 with the site, either using Chrome.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I use adblock + noscript on Firefox and haven't noticed anything suspicious.

That's the way to do it. NoScript is a fantastic add on that everyone should use. It prevents a lot of garbage all over the internet. I couldn't live without it. Hell , running as combo of ad block + no script + flash block i feel totally safe running without any kind of AV because it just block everything at the source and then you only allow what you need to.

UBlock origin does a very good job too.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Opera on PC and Windows 7, runs 100% smooth, no bandwith overuse and no ads in sight. I guess it all depends on each user's config. Chrome with adblock+ worked ok at first but got buggy somehow. Haven't tried Firefox in years, but it's worth considering.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
I just use the Samsung browser on my phone. So far, no major issues. There is an annoyance where it takes longer for adds at the top to load, so often when I've just opened up the page and go to click on a link, the entire page suddenly shifts down and I end up clicking on the wrong link. I had to change my habits and just wait a few seconds longer before clicking on anything, and it runs fine.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
I just use the Samsung browser on my phone. So far, no major issues. There is an annoyance where it takes longer for adds at the top to load, so often when I've just opened up the page and go to click on a link, the entire page suddenly shifts down and I end up clicking on the wrong link. I had to change my habits and just wait a few seconds longer before clicking on anything, and it runs fine.

Same on Iphone with Safari.

Those new ads eat my data like crazy too.

Disturbed1

Dale ****ing Weise
Dec 31, 2010
Canada
It's a mess on my Samsung Windows phone, always crashes and takes forever to load, to the point of not even bothering anymore till I can browse from home and block all the garbage. I have this site down to almost reader mode levels now.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I haven't noticed anything but I use abp. If you don't use some form of ad blocker in this day, you're simply not interneting correctly.

For sites without intrusive ads if they ask me to disable it I will. This site is the definition of annoying when it comes to ads though so sorry. I figure they'd actually make a lot more ad revenue if they didn't use ads that immediately made even the most noob internet user google ad block. By having ads like that, they're actually pushing people who otherwise wouldn't bother to google something that will stop them to go ahead and do it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I haven't noticed anything but I use abp. If you don't use some form of ad blocker in this day, you're simply not interneting correctly.

For sites without intrusive ads if they ask me to disable it I will. This site is the definition of annoying when it comes to ads though so sorry. I figure they'd actually make a lot more ad revenue if they didn't use ads that immediately made even the most noob internet user google ad block. By having ads like that, they're actually pushing people who otherwise wouldn't bother to google something that will stop them.

Overall, I completely agree with you. But it seems the web developers don't agree.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Overall, I completely agree with you. But it seems the web developers don't agree.

To me it seems they're achieving the opposite of what they actually want :laugh: By being overly greedy trying to milk every penny of ad revenue they can, they're actually causing the inverse to take place since more people will just block them :laugh: If HF decides to fix their ad situation with the basic amazon feeds etc you see on other sites like FB, and post some sort of message stating they've fixed the ad problem and the site needs page views to operate etc, I'll gladly give them a chance again.

Until then it stays blocked.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Is there a way to block JavaScript but enable Twitter? Lots of tweets on here I'd like to read but are blocked by JavaScript :(

Thanks in advance! This board is so much smoother with no JavaScript! Just a little annoying that I can't read tweets, can't see YouTube videos, can't quote or format properly, etc etc etc.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Blocking Javascript is the only thing that worked for me, thanks a bunch for the heads up!

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I was having horrible problems with this new site on my phone, to the point where I thought my phone got infected by maleware (actually same with my Windows 10 machine, both with Chrome browser) to the point where I actually did a factory reset of my phone. but the problem persisted so I ended up using the Dolphin browser just for this site. Phone finally started behaving now. Use Chrome for everything else though.
On my Win box, I'm having issues as well but not nearly as much.
So overall...yeah, the new site sucks large.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
I was constantly having issues with being logged off, after a couple minutes, but once I turned off js for the site everything is fine...outside of the few things that the board requires js for.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Is there a way to block JavaScript but enable Twitter? Lots of tweets on here I'd like to read but are blocked by JavaScript :(

Thanks in advance! This board is so much smoother with no JavaScript! Just a little annoying that I can't read tweets, can't see YouTube videos, can't quote or format properly, etc etc etc.

NoScript (Firefox) or the equivalent add-on for your browser will allow you to do that. You don't want to block everything, just the unnecessary stuffs (this is pretty close to everything here, but not quite).

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Crashed my BlackBerry os10 all the time, now I have chrome on my Keyone and its choke full of ads but does run a lot better on newer hardware.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
WOW thanks for this post I 100% agree.

This forum just does not work on Chrome or firefox at all!

I am using IE now and am back but any other browser and its a giant piece of you know what.

Can we keep this thread open in case some sort of fix ever arises.

I always felt this board was doing something odd and especially since the new look came on board it became 100 times worse.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
WOW thanks for this post I 100% agree.

This forum just does not work on Chrome or firefox at all!

I am using IE now and am back but any other browser and its a giant piece of you know what.

Can we keep this thread open in case some sort of fix ever arises.

I always felt this board was doing something odd and especially since the new look came on board it became 100 times worse.

The new look is just another way for HF to squeeze more pennies off of the site :laugh: I mean look at how ghetto it looks compared to before. Before it looked like a legitimate website and used hockeysfuture.com or hfboards.com, now it's some ugly site that looks like one of those free forums on mandatory.com lmao. I mean the cringe doesn't get much cringyer. I want the site to be prosperous and earn revenue but the ways they go about it reek of desperation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->