Between Fedun and Larsen, who would you rather keep up?

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
He might not have to.. I think the rules changed in new CBA.. He has cleared waivers once so he might be good to move between AHL and NHL for rest of the season.

Pretty sure when you clear waivers there is 30 days where you can go up and down before you have to clear again.

Craig MacAtaracts

Visually...
Mar 11, 2013
The problem with Justin Schultz is that he shouldn't be leading the team in ice time nor playing against opposing top 6 forwards. Larsen and Fedun haven't been playing enough to get exposed the way J Schultz has. Neither has half of J Schultz's offensive capabilities either.

Larsen has played 23+ minutes the last two games though

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly they are both better than Smid/NSchultz at this stage.

I know they are completely different types of dmen as Smid/"Schultz The Elder" are much more stay at home guys.. but honestly they can just stay at home for all the good they are doing in the lineup.

Play Fedun and Larsen and see if either can cut it over a longer stretch.

I think they genuinely add some dynamics to the blueline whereas guys like Smid/NSchultz (and I'll even throw Ference in there while I'm at it)... add very little in terms of a two-way game on the blueline. It's not as if those players are sparkling defensively either.

Belov has been up and down so far imo.. some times he's looked good, other times not so much. Petry overall probably the best all-around D but still this teams needs to find some puck-moving skills from the blueline outside of Justin Schultz who is a liability out there defensively.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Both similar players in my mind.

I like Fedun better but only slightly.

Both really look like 5-7 type d-men at best at the moment.

I still look back at how impressive Fedun looked in preseason 2 years ago. I know it was only preseason but my lord he looked like he had top 4 written all over him.

I think his injury derailed him and really stole a "legit" chance to be a NHL regular.

But.

With 2 goals in 2 games and how he has looked overall, I think there is still a small chance he could over come his injury and develop into an NHL regular.

So you have to root for him.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Keep both trade the weakling Schultz for a player with some muscle. He is great trade bait, #overrated.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well I put down Smid in my post and minutes later he's traded. :)

Ok what about Nick Schultz MacT? I also commented how he was no benefit to this team either... let's see how well my magic works here. :)

Clutch Canadian4

Sep 10, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Hey, I'd replace em both with Drew Doughty but unfortunately we don't have that luxury. I like Fedun so far although it's only been 2 games, I like his size and physicality, he's making the heads up play most of the time so far, keeping his game simple. Fedun has also worked his ass off to get here after that femur injury. It's clear that he can shoot and play a little offense as well, I think that Smid deal not only cleared cap space to sign Ilya but I think it showed how high Edmonton is on some of there defensive prospects. Larsen is to small IMO, not physical enough. I think he's a great 7th-minor league depth d-man but not much more but remember he's only 24. To me it doesn't matter who you keep because until you add some size in that top 6 and a top 2 NHL defenseman we aren't going anywhere.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I think Larsen has more skill but this team needs less chaos, not more. Fedun is a very smart player, so I keep him for now. If one of Petry, Belov, or Jultz goes down again though, Larsen does belong in the NHL, so it's really a no-brainer for me to bring him back.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I'd go with the following and move J. Schultz for a top notch two-way defender.

Petry-Belov
Larsen-J Schultz replacement
Ference-Fedun
N. Schultz

That still leaves the following on the farm: Potter, Grebeshkov, Klefbom and Marincin.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Larsen for me. His speed to be able to jump into the rush and pinch are incredible.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Larsen 6 shots and 1 pt today... that's half a season's worth of contribution from Smid.

I hope they give Larsen a good long tryout. I think he's a keeper. Fedun as well deserves a decent stint beyond just a handful of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad