Bettman's Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Agree or disagree, hes HAMMERING the NHLPA. And hes doing a helluva job at it.

And if his statement is true that, even in the NHLPA's own proposal that 15 or so teams would STILL loose money, then they truly arent negotiating.

Hes making them look bad.... and doing it with "apparent" facts. [rather the quotes and figures hes using are true is possibly something we may never find out]

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
My question for him is if they knew in 1999 the CBA was ruining the league, why did they extend it that same year?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
My question for him is if they knew in 1999 the CBA was ruining the league, why did they extend it that same year?

Read Spector's article. It gives a valid reason....expansion teams. They had to commit to no labor stoppage for the teams to join.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Bruwinz20 said:
Read Spector's article. It gives a valid reason....expansion teams. They had to commit to no labor stoppage for the teams to join.

Funny how Bettman left that out, huh?

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
X8oD said:
And if his statement is true that, even in the NHLPA's own proposal that 15 or so teams would STILL loose money, then they truly arent negotiating.

Fifteen teams eh? So if you miss the playoffs you probably lose money?

Sounds like pretty good incentive to put a decent team together, if you ask me.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Other Dave said:

or not invest in the NHL.

flip a coin, eh?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Other Dave said:

Or play an ultra-tight, clutch-and-grab, trap system... No risk - No creativity... No fun to watch... But eh, your team has a better chance to make the playoffs... You have a better chance to live to see a scrum another day...

Last edited:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
X8oD said:
Agree or disagree, hes HAMMERING the NHLPA. And hes doing a helluva job at it.

Hes making them look bad.... and doing it with "apparent" facts. [rather the quotes and figures hes using are true is possibly something we may never find out]

Maybe if those 15 teams who are losing money got a clue how to run their franchise they wouldn't lose money. The owners want the players to save themselves from themselves. It's as simple as that.

Another question, if your a GM and your team lost 20 million dollars. How do you still have a job? Why aren't these owners holding their GM's responsible for more than it's on ice performance?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
JWI19 said:
Maybe if those 15 teams who are losing money got a clue how to run their franchise they wouldn't lose money. The owners want the players to save themselves from themselves. It's as simple as that.

Okay, so if somehow GMs started being more careful, and salaries across the league dropped 35%, all the players would be happy?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Seachd said:
Okay, so if somehow GMs started being more careful, and salaries across the league dropped 35%, all the players would be happy?

It's not if they are happy or not, it's more of market value. If the market determines your worth is X amount of dollars then thats what you should make. Thats the problem with professonial sports is market value changes from owner to owner. Marty Lapointe was worth 3.25 million for the Red Wings. The Bruins placed his market value at 5 million. Then you have to ask why did the Bruins overvalue him so much? I really dont know. My point is no owner should spend more than he can afford. If the owners agreed not to spend more than they can afford, the NHL wouldn't be losing 283 million dollars.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Seachd said:

I don't care if the players are happy or not, I resent that the owners have unilaterally halted the season and are (successfully it appears) blaming the players.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Other Dave said:
I don't care if the players are happy or not, I resent that the owners have unilaterally halted the season and are (successfully it appears) blaming the players.
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but that's what creates these work stoppages - one side is unhappy.

If the "free market system" (even though that's not what the league has), decides that the players' salaries all go down, they'd still be whining.

They want to maintain things the way they are, which not only pays them ridiculously generous salaries, but also leaves the door open to more exponential growth.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Seachd said:
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but that's what creates these work stoppages - one side is unhappy.

If the "free market system" (even though that's not what the league has), decides that the players' salaries all go down, they'd still be whining.

They want to maintain things the way they are, which not only pays them ridiculously generous salaries, but also leaves the door open to more exponential growth.

if the PA is wanting to keep things how they are, why did they already offer a luxury, something radically different than the current system?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
if the PA is wanting to keep things how they are, why did they already offer a luxury, something radically different than the current system?
A luxury tax that will do nothing. Did you hear Bettman? $0.30 for every dollar over what? $60 million?

Wow. What a deal.

As Bettman said, that's useless.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Other Dave said:

Great incentive. In fact lets go sign Bobby Holik for 8 million dollars! :shakehead

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:

Radically different eh? 20 cents on the dollar over 50 million, 30 cents on the dollar over 60 million. What a joke.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Seachd said:
A luxury tax that will do nothing. Did you hear Bettman? $0.30 for every dollar over what? $60 million?

Wow. What a deal.

Its dollar for dollar over $40 million. Half the teams would pay it this year. Not useless.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
hockeytown9321 said:

Because it does not come out of their pocket. Besides the 5% salary rollback all other concessions do not affect the current membership of the NHLPA. It saddens me that the NHLPA is willing to sell out future players (rookie salary caps, bonus caps, etc) who will already be entering the NHL in a new, more economically minded era. On the other hand it does not feel current players earning millions and millions of dollors per year should have new restrictions.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
in a funny way, this all reminds me of FANTASY HOCKEY. its a lot like one FANTASY hockey gm giving another gm 6 pretty good offers and being willing to compromise even more from there...and then the other gm thinks about those offers and throws in return an offer that is not even close to the 6 offers of the first gm. the NHLPA needs to show a bit more respect cause i'd say their offer was a JOKE.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
Its dollar for dollar over $40 million. Half the teams would pay it this year. Not useless.

Do you have a link for that? The Toronto Star said that the older proposal started with a $.10 tax for every dollar over $40 million, $0.20 at $50 million, and $0.30 at $60 million.

TSN says the "new" deal just offered starts with a tax at $50 million.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:

I think that could work, unfortunately that isn`t what was proposed by the union.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Chelios said:
I think that could work, unfortunately that isn`t what was proposed by the union.

Sorry, $50 million.

and like Saskin said last night on CBC, this is negotiable, except the NHL isn't even willing to look at it.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
Sorry, $50 million.

and like Saskin said last night on CBC, this is negotiable, except the NHL isn't even willing to look at it.
Because $0.20 for every dollar over doesn't exactly improve the problems. If it did, the league would look at it.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
What's funny about this entire situation is that I'm already sick of the CBA talks and the lockout isn't even technically in effect yet. This reminds me of when your favourite team makes the stupidest trade of all time and you spend all your time talking about it.

Owners want a salary cap, players say no. Players say luxury tax and revenue sharing, owners say no. There's zero compromise on either side. Both have an economic system in mind, but both sides refuse to consider any alternative method to achieve that system beyond their own proposals...that's why this situation looks so hopeless.

It just appears to me that the owners created a horrible situation for themselves and now they're demanding that the players help bail them out of it. Even though the players should certainly do that since the league will suffer if they don't, I know it would piss me off big time if I was faced with a similar scenario, particularly when there's so much distrust that the players can't even be sure if the owners are actually losing money or not. Could you imagine MLSE trying to tell the players that they need help with their profts? Yikes.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Seachd said:

Wow. What a deal.

I think nearly everyone will agree that a luxury tax set at that level would be useless. I (and I think others) have a hard time seeing how any luxury tax system would be useless, though.

With the players clearly more willing to work on a luxury tax system than a cap, why aren't the owners looking to find a way to make the luxury tax system work for them? Now I've seen people point to baseball's system as being a failure, but I don't think that system was viewed positively the moment it was created. Everyone doubted it would work real well, and it hasn't (at least where the Yankees are concerned, but I think league spending overall has dropped).

I'm not for either side, and neither side has appeared too anxious to save the season. But, so far, I think the owners appear to want to break the union rather than get a CBA done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad