Bettman's counteroffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfman

Dec 14, 2004
hopefully a deal will get done

so what do yall think about tigers win at the target world championship :joker: ?

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Cropduster said:
what scares me is that we are going to lose this season because of pride, of "not giving in"-Iam afraid they won't be "smart"

I agree with you totally. The pride of the NHLPA will cost them in the end.

The NHLPA just don't get it. In the past, billionaire owners used hockey franchises as "toys", not running them in the same way they ran their primary businesses. Now their primary businesses aren't doing as well so they have to run their hockey franchises like regular businesses. Winning is important but now so is the bottomline.
And don't kid yourselves, we're talking about very wealthy business people who do understand the bottomline.

In the end, it will be about pride for the NHLPA but for the owners its not personal. Its business. That's why they can lockout the players for 2-3 years if necessary.

Message to the NHLPA: This mountain cannot be climbed. You will still get paid a very good wage. Even low end guys will get 150-200K/season, which is fair for depth players and a no.7-8 d-man. Guy Lafleur would have loved playing for that kind of money.

HckyFght*

go kim johnsson said:
If no one paid those outrageous salary demands, then their demands would have to come down wouldn't they?

Someone needs to tell the owners that they should learn to be a little more responsible when dealing outrageous contracts to guys like Bobby Holik and Martin Lapointe. It's not the players job to restrict the owners wallets.

Not at all. Because if a team refuses to pay, some know-nothing judge will award the player the money anyway. Lemieux is a gross example. If he isn't playing the Pens season ticket base evaporates. So pay Mario and go broke, or don't pay Mario and go broke. Result? They end up handing Mario the team.
-HckyFght!

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
eye said:
Well for starters, they built over half their lineup through free agency which in effect causes inflation and higher ticket prices.

They competed for Holik, Kasparitis and others which in effect drove the price up to rediculous levels.

They barely make use of the draft or their picks.

Their fans and coroporate sponsors fuel league inflation because they are dumb enough or too loyal and are willing to pay anything just to say they were at the game and then sit on their hands when they do attend.

Both you and i know thats total BS. The reason they can charge so much for ticket is because the people of Toronto are WILLING to pay for them.

The Canadians increased ticket prices almost 9% from 2002-2003 to 2003-2004 yet there payroll raised only a mear million dollars. What cause them to raise prices? I dont know maybe it had something to do with the fact they lead the NHL in attendence.

Now Buffalo lowered ticket priced in 2003-2004 by 6.5%. I wonder what caused that? I dont know maybe the fact average attendence dropped almost 4000 people in 2002-2003 from the previous year.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Both you and i know thats total BS. The reason they can charge so much for ticket is because the people of Toronto are WILLING to pay for them.

The Canadians increased ticket prices almost 9% from 2002-2003 to 2003-2004 yet there payroll raised only a mear million dollars. What cause them to raise prices? I dont know maybe it had something to do with the fact they lead the NHL in attendence.

Now Buffalo lowered ticket priced in 2003-2004 by 6.5%. I wonder what caused that? I dont know maybe the fact average attendence dropped almost 4000 people in 2002-2003 from the previous year.

He doesn't know that.. this is the second post in which he refers to this. In the other one, he said that with a cap, teams would magically lower their ticket prices.

SENSible1*

Why don't the Pro-PAers ever compare the drafting and player development of Toronto and Edmonton over the course of this past CBA?

They are always quick to point out that Edmonton's struggles are due to poor drafting, but never point out how readily the Leafs pocketbook has been used to erase an even more dismal record for the Leafs in player development and propell them into being a consistent contender.

No spending advantage my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->