Bettman's 1PM pressconference live on net somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ill give it 130. Once Goodenow seens the Hard Cap proposal again he will walk out like he should do.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
coyotechrisz said:
like he should do ?????

Yes, Like he should do. The cap is nothing more then a way to even the playing field..not to save the NHL...if he wanted to save the NHL then he would put in place a strict Luxary tax, revenue sharing etc.....then there would be a season this year or next season...but Bettman is willing to lock the players out for years....explain how that would save the NHL? Teams will never gain a fanbase from a lockout that long. Bettmans hidden agenda has been to have teams like the Oilers be able to compete not to ansure cost certainty...because by the time he gets that a 1/4 or the teams will be gone.

kastaure

Jun 26, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
coyotechrisz said:
like he should do ?????

Yes... is it strange that a lot of new user that are there since november always take for the player side and say stupid things like this...

Dont underestimate the opinions of hockey forum like this one. In the past a lot of Newspaper article took their root in this place and it's just normal that NHLPA would try to play the same trick here and move the opinion.

Hey they are there since november and have already hundreds or thousands of post.. dont they have anything to do other then praising Bob Goodenough

HckyFght*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Ill give it 130. Once Goodenow seens the Hard Cap proposal again he will walk out like he should do.

...and if the union walks out, the league should declare an impasse and open training camp doors for replacements the following day like it should do. If this is illegal in some jurisdictions, well, too bad.
-HckyFght!

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Yes, Like he should do. The cap is nothing more then a way to even the playing field..not to save the NHL...if he wanted to save the NHL then he would put in place a strict Luxary tax, revenue sharing etc.....then there would be a season this year or next season...but Bettman is willing to lock the players out for years....explain how that would save the NHL? Teams will never gain a fanbase from a lockout that long. Bettmans hidden agenda has been to have teams like the Oilers be able to compete not to ansure cost certainty...because by the time he gets that a 1/4 or the teams will be gone.

I wonder how you got access to this hidden agenda? Did Bettman tell you himself? Like TSN, did you get your hands on some secret documents?

Never mind; I think I know... It's just painfully obvious to you and no one else, right?

Owen Wilson

Feb 21, 2003
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
if he wanted to save the NHL then he would put in place a strict Luxary tax, revenue sharing etc.....QUOTE]

A luxury tax and revenue sharing isn't cost certainty.

I believe that Bettman and the owners would agree to a stiff luxury tax and revenue sharing, but the players haven't brought it to the table yet.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Seachd said:
I wonder how you got access to this hidden agenda? Did Bettman tell you himself? Like TSN, did you get your hands on some secret documents?

Never mind; I think I know... It's just painfully obvious to you and no one else, right?

THINK about it. Bettman ONLY believes the way to save the NHL is to have a hard cap. But anybody that has been following this knows that is not true...so why does he keep insisting it?

BTW dont forget we're talking a HARD cap here...not a regular 40-45 million cap.

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I thought Bettman was officially going to reject PA's proposal and publish their own counter-proposal at 1PM???

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:
A higher cap. Something more resonable. Not a 30 million dollar one.
The NHL's never said anything about a $30 million cap. That's everyone else putting words in their mouths. The "rumour" (article written by Damien Cox today) is that the league is going to offer to give a little less than 60% of revenues to the players. Some others did the math, and decided it was about a $40 million cap. Far from the $30 million you've been going on and on about.

Cox also mentions that the NHL would like to tweak the 24% rollback so that the players who make the most give up a larger percentage.

This all seems to be speculation on his part, though.

Owen Wilson

Feb 21, 2003
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
THINK about it. Bettman ONLY believes the way to save the NHL is to have a hard cap. But anybody that has been following this knows that is not true...so why does he keep insisting it?

BTW dont forget we're talking a HARD cap here...not a regular 40-45 million cap.

Did you ever sit back and realize that is his first choice?? If he says otherwise, the PA will walk all over him.

A lot of people believe that this can be fixed without a HARD cap, but happy medium has to be reached first

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
FLYLine4LIFE said:
But anybody that has been following this knows that is not true...so why does he keep insisting it?

Perhaps the reason he keeps insisting on it is because the owners (you know, the people Bettman works for?) tell him that's what they want as a group?

Do you honestly think that if Bettman was gone, that the stance of the owners would magically change and Happy Valley would be made whole again?

Please, let's dispense with this notion that Bettman is the Great Satan that rules the owners with an iron fist. He's given a mandate from the owners, and then he does whatever he thinks is necessary to facilitate this goal. If he fails, he's their fall guy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:

It's called Negotiating, when you're a little older you'll understand this. One side asks for more than they can live with, the other side offers less. Sooner or later they will meet in the middle. You never start with you best offer.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Yes, Like he should do. The cap is nothing more then a way to even the playing field..not to save the NHL...if he wanted to save the NHL then he would put in place a strict Luxary tax, revenue sharing etc.....then there would be a season this year or next season...but Bettman is willing to lock the players out for years....explain how that would save the NHL? Teams will never gain a fanbase from a lockout that long. Bettmans hidden agenda has been to have teams like the Oilers be able to compete not to ansure cost certainty...because by the time he gets that a 1/4 of the teams will be gone.
Fly

Your position is well known and you're more than entitled to it. I just have to ask, based on what you've written above, what's wrong with an even playing field? If I'm a fan in a small market I'd like to think that my favorite team has a chance in a couple of years. Otherwise, why am I buying tickets, merchandise and beer? What are they rebuilding for? To help develop the top picks they get and then move them off to the 4 or 5 big clubs?

I think the players should be able to earn as much as possible, but that's a two sided coin - the owners should be allowed to as well. I do agree with parts of your overall position (that it isn't entirely up to the players to be responsible for the owners inability to control themselves) but at some point the players do also have to recognize that there are financial problems and that ultimately, continuing down the current path will inevitably mean teams folding and lost jobs. I have no doubt that the league has been living off the spoils of expansion through the 90s - and so did the players.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Owen Wilson said:
Did you ever sit back and realize that is his first choice?? If he says otherwise, the PA will walk all over him.

A lot of people believe that this can be fixed without a HARD cap, but happy medium has to be reached first

Well we will have to wait another hour or 2 to see....the hard cap was his first choice...but im pretty sure it will be his 2nd choice today as well.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
HF2002 said:
Fly

Your position is well known and you're more than entitled to it. I just have to ask, based on what you've written above, what's wrong with an even playing field? If I'm a fan in a small market I'd like to think that my favorite team has a chance in a couple of years. Otherwise, why am I buying tickets, merchandise and beer? What are they rebuilding for? To help develop the top picks they get and then move them off to the 4 or 5 big clubs?

I think the players should be able to earn as much as possible, but that's a two sided coin - the owners should be allowed to as well. I do agree with parts of your overall position (that it isn't entirely up to the players to be responsible for the owners inability to control themselves) but at some point the players do also have to recognize that there are financial problems and that ultimately, continuing down the current path will inevitably mean teams folding and lost jobs. I have no doubt that the league has been living off the spoils of expansion through the 90s - and so did the players.
Dont get me wrong..just because im a Ranger fan dont think my viewpoint is, "NO! I dont want to loose my teams advantage because we got the money!"(Not like we even gained one from it) It is not that..I am just not in favor of a hard cap because it will make the playing field way to even...like the NFL....if the cap was softer at lets say 40-45 million then I would be for it because then we can still have dynastys in the NHL, powerhouse teams, etc...with an extreme level playing field there will be new teams in the finals every season...teams will bounce from playoffs to no postseason every year. I just dont want to see the NHL turn into the NFL...but some people will argue they love the system the NFL has...but obviously I dont.

chiavsfan

What's wrong with an even playing field? I think it makes the games more entertaining...and makes it more about the players and the coaches. The better players and better coaching will win more games.

For example in the NFL the playing field isn't so even this year is it?

12-1 Phili
12-1 Pitt
12-1 New England
10-3 Atlanta

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
FLYLine4LIFE said:

This is possibly my favourite line of this entire process thus far. Even with all the ill informed commentary that's taken place, this line represents a brand new low.

Hard cap=could be 30 million, could be 60 million. Point is that you can't go over it. That's what makes it hard.

Soft cap=could be any value, but you can bust through it.

Unbelievable. Great post Digger, BTW. I'm amazed that more people here, as well as the players, don't seem to realize that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
chiavsfan said:
What's wrong with an even playing field? I think it makes the games more entertaining...and makes it more about the players and the coaches. The better players and better coaching will win more games.

For example in the NFL the playing field isn't so even this year is it?

12-1 Phili
12-1 Pitt
12-1 New England
10-3 Atlanta

Yes, but next year it could be the complete opposite. You never really know..(well for some teams you can assume like New England)

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
i think a even playing field is the best for every sports league..

The league will be exciting and entertaining all the time... Who wants to see that a Team wins the Cup 5 times in a row(good that can also happen in a even league, but then the Team is very very good).

Per example the Hockey League in Austria this year, is very even.. and it's a great season so far, much more people go to the games as the last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad