Bettman Ultimatum: $42.5 M Cap, Final Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
incawg said:
Everybody bluffs in negotiations and, to be honest, the NHL could probably care less if they end up getting called on it. Getting called on this one is nothing compared to the bluffs that both sides have already been called on. The owners said they'd never move off of linkage and the players said they'd never move on to a hard cap....yet, here we are. Playing hardball like this is a common negotiation tactic. I mean, what did people expect, Bettman to come out and say "42 million, but if you ask nicely, we'll move up to 45"? They're trying to squeeze every last penny out here, and in order to do so you've got to play hardball. If the PA comes back with a 47M counter-proposal, I will eat my hat if the NHL sticks to what Bettman said in his letter today and cancels the season tomorrow without even negotiating.

I agree but i am very nervous none the less..... i just can't wait to get some kind of closure, one way or another

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
trahans99 said:
I agree but i am very nervous none the less..... i just can't wait to get some kind of closure, one way or another

no lets be honest, we want closure, but we know what we actually want to happen ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Does Bettman seem like the type to move off of a 'final offer?' One the other hand, the union is making it easy for him not to. $49 million? yeah, that is going to happen. $44 million would really put pressure on him though I would think.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Breaking News...

The NHL has rejected the NHLPA's counter-offer.

For the love of god..don't make the game suffer for a paltry 2.5-3 Million Dollars...

nickyb

May 5, 2004
Double-Shift Lassés said:
Beer outside section 107. Pizza, burgers and BBQ sandwiches in the main concourse. Soft pretzels and candy near the escalators.

Come on people. We all want the games, right?

AND NOWWWWW, RENE RANCOURT TO SING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM!!!!! AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :help:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
incawg said:
Everybody bluffs in negotiations and, to be honest, the NHL could probably care less if they end up getting called on it. Getting called on this one is nothing compared to the bluffs that both sides have already been called on. The owners said they'd never move off of linkage and the players said they'd never move on to a hard cap....yet, here we are. Playing hardball like this is a common negotiation tactic. I mean, what did people expect, Bettman to come out and say "42 million, but if you ask nicely, we'll move up to 45"? They're trying to squeeze every last penny out here, and in order to do so you've got to play hardball. If the PA comes back with a 47M counter-proposal, I will eat my hat if the NHL sticks to what Bettman said in his letter today and cancels the season tomorrow without even negotiating.

Agree, and those who think the NHL is putting "PR" at this point ahead of getting a deal done, especially after they already have won a major - the major - concession from the NHLPA, are funny.

Equally funny are those who act insulted by a $49 mil salary cap counter-offer. Repeating "counter-offer". These are the same types who would keep shooting at the guy waving the white flag. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad