Bettman Ultimatum: $42.5 M Cap, Final Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
BLONG7 said:
Goodenow should insist on a 32M floor if Gary gets his 42.5M cap...this coming from a supporter of the owners...I really thought that Gary would have gone up to around 45-46M...he is really buckling under to Cal Nichols and Harley Hotchkiss and the low end teams...
The 32 mil floor is very important in a Cap world .. I would also get from Gary that the NHL will have 30 teams during this CBA .. If he looks in the NHLPA to a hard cap based on the weak and then they fold the weak or they go bankrupt as a result of this lockout and reduce NHL player jobs .. it will be a real problem .. IMO

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
I think this offer is perfect. Well, not exactly perfect, but at least it doesn't go over $45 million.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
It forces teams to put a decent team on the ice. Not to pick on the Wild, but they have a below 28 mil salary and yet the team makes money hand over fist. It will spread more money out over the 30 teams.

I understand the rational behind the floor. I just don't see how some of the teams will reach the floor without help.

CarlRacki said:
In all its previous offers the league ensured there would be enough revenue sharing so that every team could at a minimum meet the salary floor. That's meaningful enough for me.
Which leads me to my second point ... every previous offer by the league has included a salary floor, so there's no reason to believe it is lacking in this so-called final offer.

And theres my answer. Thanks guys.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
In a way, it's smart what the NHL is doing. They offer low, and say "No flexibility". Now the PA comes back and says "No thanks" (If they do that), so the league says "Ok... on with the press conference!"

NHLPA comes back "Ok.. just make it $45 please?!?! :cry: "

NHL comes back with an "Ok fine"... so they both look like they won.

If the NHL offered a higher cap, then the players would use the same tactic to move it up even higher. So instead of offering what will be in the final deal, the NHL offered a slice below it.

Good thinking NHL :clap: :handclap: :handclap:

Vic Rattlehead*

Bettman has the NHLPA right where they want them. A lot of people here a pessimistic and blaming Bettman, but I beleive that the NHLPA will accept it. I have a strong feeling about this.

Remember, the NHL wanted a 31 million dollar salary cap at the beginning of the lockout.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
Bryan McCabe said:
The bottom line is, if they want a hard (salary) cap, we'll sit out for the rest of our lives. If they're not going to budge off of that, there's really nowhere to go.

A little off topic, but now that the PA has moved off the cap, is McCabe going to keep holding out?

Please say it is so.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Everyone is saying over 800k and 3million, etc.

Its not that little though. The NHLPA has only offered at 52 million, with 3 times that can be exceded by 10%. In other words, the cap is 52 million for three years and 57.2 million for three years.

Thats insane!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
19bruins19 said:
Bettman has the NHLPA right where they want them. A lot of people here a pessimistic and blaming Bettman, but I beleive that the NHLPA will accept it. I have a strong feeling about this.

Remember, the NHL wanted a 31 million dollar salary cap at the beginning of the lockout.
But will the players ???

Once Goodenow agrees in principle to the CBA .. He takes it back to the NHLPA and all 750 members vote .. I think it takes a majority to make it official ... The Players could still vote NO .. because it is all happening so quickly .. 2 days ago a CAP was not an option and today is 42.5 or nothing ..

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
clefty said:
I cannot believe that Bettman will refuse and cancel the season over the sake of a couple of million dollars.

It's not a couple million dollars.

It's a couple million dollars x30.

Not that there will be alot of teams closing in on the cap -well not alot at all....but in principle it is a few million x30.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Enoch said:

Its not that little though. The NHLPA has only offered at 52 million, with 3 times that can be exceded by 10%. In other words, the cap is 52 million for three years and 57.2 million for three years.

Thats insane!
True, but that overage in addition to tax dollars will be redistributed to teams that fall under the cap (or however it is lanned to be redistributed) . . . . I can see where it is a good option for a team to have a high payroll one season to make the final playoff push . .

And I thought it was TWICE in six years not three times . . . (I could be wrong though)

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:

Not that there will be alot of teams closing in on the cap -well not alot at all....but in principle it is a few million x30.

This is a false argument; it presumes all teams would spend $42.5m or $45m, which isn't going to happen.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
I saw Hradek state flatly that this isn'tgoing to get it done, hopefully the NHLPA sees through the BS and gives the NHL want it wants in 45 Mil. We are asking the players one last final give back to save the season, make Gary look swell.

well I hate to say but every 'final' offer has been met with "not no but Eff no" thats going to be the NHLPA responce bank onit. Now its up to the NHLPA and NHL tonight to send in their feelers behind the scenes to figure the REAL $$ to get the deal done.

Haven't herd Hradek, or melrose so optimistic. Hopefuly they realize that if they can't figure this out the NHL is done, shame over such little ground that bettman had destroy the union.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Enoch said:

Thats insane!
Only for a few teams

Pittsburgh, Nashville and Florida will struggle just getting to the 32 mil floor amount ..

but they could remove it .. but I understand what its there for .. TRADE DEADLINE ..

a team could be in competition for the Cup and add a few Soon to be UFA as rentals .. Those contracts would put a team over the CAP amount short term .. That is its purpose .. SO a team does not have to dump Salary to make deadline deals ..

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
PitkanenPower said:
610 WIP (Philadelphia) announced that the Flyers have announced a 4pm press conference for tomorrow. I assume the subject of the press conference will be based on the PA's response.

No that is not the case.Every NHL team will have their own press conference for their local media.These separate press conferences have been in the works since the weekend.If the season was cancelled,teams would cover issues such season tickets.When the new CBA is announced tomorrow,the teams will discuss the process for getting their teams on the ice

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:
Pittsburgh, Nashville and Florida will struggle just getting to the 32 mil floor amount ..

If any team can't spend $32M on players, then they shouldn't be in the league.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Colt.45Orr said:

The difference between $42.5 million than $45 million is two average NHL players.Teams will not be forced to spend $45 million

snepsts27

Nov 9, 2003
Kamloops BC
Visit site
The real difference

Ok this is the way i see it....

NHL proposes 42.5 mil/team ,a nd the NHLPA is at 52 mil/team difference of 9.5 mil.

Divide that between 720 players , and the difference is 400 k per player (minus agent/taxes we'll say 250 K)
And that is if every team maxes out the cap room on both sysytems which is not likely to happen. When it really gets down to it, there may be a 2-3 million per team difference in the proposals (60-90 million / about 100-200K difference before costs)

When the average salary of a NHL player is over 1 mill per season, will 100-200 thousand be enough to say no?

I hope not, I'm starting to get severe hockey withdrawls...so severe that it has forced me to do math!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
go kim johnsson said:
If any team can't spend $32M on players, then they shouldn't be in the league.
I agree ..

personally I would have reduced a few anyway .. but if this 42.5 is based on 30 team revenue then there has to be 30 teams or number can be higher ..

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Jared Ramsden said:
Bettman and the NHL are in total control now.....now that the PA has caved, they are screwed.....there is going to be a Cap, and the NHL is going to dictate how much it's for....i don't think the PA has much leverage left

The PA can uncave as well. Which they will on a cancelled season

Member 23807

I was watching Sportsnet and they did confirm that the offer the NHL submitted included a floor of $32M per team. At $42.5M x 30 Clubs = $1.275 Billion.

That translates into 61% of league revenues assuming league revenues are $2.1 Billion. We all know that league revenues will more than likely be lower than that going forward as a result of this lockout. I think the players would be silly not to take this offer.

As many here have posted, the difference is basically $10 Million per team x 30 = $300 Million / 720 players = $416,000 per player. Average player salary goes from $1.8M to $1.4M.

I see nothing wrong with this at all and if the NHLPA rejects this, they are bigger fools than I thought. Say all you will about Bettman's tactics, a final offer was the only thing he could do at this point to stick with a cap that was meaningful. Anything higher than 60% of league revenues in my eyes is too much so this offer is just the right amount for both parties.

PJStyles

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:

I was going to say something like this:

it presumes all teams would spend $42.5m or $45m, which isn't going to happen.

The difference between $42.5 million than $45 million is two average NHL players.Teams will not be forced to spend $45 million

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
BLONG7 said:
not gonna happen, they will counter 45M and Gary will say yes...
Last proposal might be important in an IMPASSE ruling ... So while Bettman says NO .. THIS IS FINAL OFFER .. Goodenow should send NHL one anyway ..

Then if Bettman cancels the season over a few million the blood is on his hands .. he is trying to leave the final bullet in Goodenow gun to put the season out of its misery .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad