Bettman says no expansion or relocation; why were Conferences made unequal?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
For what it's worth, Bob McKenzie was saying that there's a good chance there will be 32 teams by the start of the 2015-16 season, and was pretty confident that Seattle would be one of them.

Just saw something saying that Seattle is sure of a team playing 15-16 season but not sure what the #32 team will be.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Just saw something saying that Seattle is sure of a team playing 15-16 season but not sure what the #32 team will be.
Absolutely equal divisions are not necessary; e.g. the current setup. What would be wrong with...

PACIFIC | CENTRAL | ATLANTIC | METRO
Anaheim|Chicago|Boston|Carolina
Calgary|Colorado|Buffalo|Columbus
Edmonton|Dallas|Detroit|New Jersey
Los Angeles|Minnesota|Florida|NY Islanders
Phoenix|Nashville|Montreal|NY Rangers
San Jose|St Louis|Ottawa|Philadelphia
Seattle|Winnipeg|Tampa|Pittsburgh
Vancouver||Toronto|Washington

The wild card playoff system would handle the 8/7 difference.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Absolutely equal divisions are not necessary; e.g. the current setup. What would be wrong with...

PACIFIC | CENTRAL | ATLANTIC | METRO
Anaheim|Chicago|Boston|Carolina
Calgary|Colorado|Buffalo|Columbus
Edmonton|Dallas|Detroit|New Jersey
Los Angeles|Minnesota|Florida|NY Islanders
Phoenix|Nashville|Montreal|NY Rangers
San Jose|St Louis|Ottawa|Philadelphia
Seattle|Winnipeg|Tampa|Pittsburgh
Vancouver||Toronto|Washington

The wild card playoff system would handle the 8/7 difference.

True NHL may only go with 1 expansion team.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
For what it's worth, Bob McKenzie was saying that there's a good chance there will be 32 teams by the start of the 2015-16 season, and was pretty confident that Seattle would be one of them.

True NHL may only go with 1 expansion team.

^^^ Yep. Thats an option. Or if adding 2 teams, staggered.

I believe there is a much bigger chance for option one. For a few reason:

1. An expansion draft is a complicated, messy thing. You dont want to do it twice in two back to back years.

2. Why wait when Québec's arena (and owner) are ready in 2015-2016? And in case of relocation there are other markets?

3. The NHL has said they really wanted to 'finalise the realignment'' in the next few seasons while speaking of possible expansion. I think a 32 teams they'll be able to finally do so.

4. The NHL has said that (for expansion) what is required is: ''A good owner, a good market and a good building''. I'm pretty sure that's Seattle (if the new building project doesn't fall appart) and Québec.

5. Why would the NHL leave 200 to 400 million dollars on the table and not expand by two teams at once when incredibly wealthy people are shouting ''shut up and take my money'' at them in Québec, Hamilton and Toronto and begging for a team?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Hasn't the NHL always asked for a set expansion fee when they've added multiple teams? For example, I believe the ask for the 1990 expansion (Ottawa and Tampa) and 1992 expansion (Anaheim and Florida) was $50 million. I guess you could argue that all of those markets were essentially equals.

That is the way I remember it. Milwaukee was looked at getting a team around that time. The potential owners didn't like the idea of paying $50M for a bad team. They tried to get the Blues as a relocation (no expansion fee and a better team), but somebody else bought them in 1987 IIRC.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

Got a link to that?

3. The NHL has said they really wanted to 'finalise the realignment'' in the next few seasons while speaking of possible expansion. I think a 32 teams they'll be able to finally do so.

But again, those thinking that realignment was linked to expansion need to think again. The original plan to go to 4 Divisions was announced in December 2011; back in the 90s, if there were League talk about expansion (which there still isn't now), that meant that expansion was likely or going to happen within 2 years. Expansion will happen, but it may well not be until like 2016. So saying that realignment has been linked to expansion is like saying that I built an extension on my house because I'm planning for when my kids grow up, have their own kids, and they're all going to live with me.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Bob Mckenzie has repeated time and again that Seattle is #1 . It is on a podcast

He did that on TSN1040 Ottawa, and then did it on NHL Live before the pregame between Chicago and Philly.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Here is the podcast speaking to Seattle being #1, and how convinced he is of 15-16 expansion, and speaking too hearing concrete plans this summer or fall:

http://autopod.ca/chum/176/podcasts/

12/3 podcast - starts about 7 minutes in.

Now before anyone gets fired up by this, this does not necessarily mean that Seattle is Bettman's number one, but obviously these national guys are pretty well connected and something/someone is pumping up Seattle.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Mckenzie, Campbell are two national guys essentially saying Seattle is a lock/#1

EJ Hradek was also pretty confident about Seattle, and stated that without question Seattle was the landing spot for the yotes if they would have left Glendale.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Bob Mckenzie has repeated time and again that Seattle is #1 . It is on a podcast

And saying that Seattle is #1 is one of the surest bets that McKenzie or anyone can make. Anyone and their seeing-eye dog could imagine that Seattle as an expansion option would be an obvious consideration for the NHL. But exactly when is that going to happen? I don't think we're going to see an NHL team in Seattle anytime before the 2015-16 Season; though I of course could be wrong just as much as anyone here.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec
Why just pu one expansion team in Seattle if Quebec is ready? In 2015-2016 we'll be ready to have a team playing in a new stadium with a deep pocket owner and a good hockey market. Why wait? Make no sense to me.

I just think that Bettman is actually playing the game to lift up the bet for the 2nd expansion team.

It's my opinion.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Why just pu one expansion team in Seattle if Quebec is ready? In 2015-2016 we'll be ready to have a team playing in a new stadium with a deep pocket owner and a good hockey market. Why wait? Make no sense to me.

I just think that Bettman is actually playing the game to lift up the bet for the 2nd expansion team.

It's my opinion.

There may well be 2 expansion sites when expansion eventually happens; or it could only be one. The point being made by some here is that Seattle, if available, is sure to be the #1 option; QC could likely be the #2 option if expansion happens in two locations.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I doubt they'll be expanding by one as well.

After the lockout ended IMO there were a few hurdles to clear before expansion

1) The current relaignemt. Not that it has any bearing on where future teams will be placed but it was a front burner issue that needed to be addressed. Sochi participation may have well been lumped there was well. - Check

2) Phoenix needed to be settled either way. If they needed to move, it greatley affects the landscape and who know if expansion would be even discussed on this level, though the timeline would not change. The Yotes are settled for the time being - Check

3) New Canadian media rights being done. Gives more of a finacial boost to everyone. I think it was important to owners to know what kind of $$ it would generate so it can determine how to split it up with more members. I beleive the same hurdle lies with NBA prior to its next expansion. Cdn media deal with Rogers done. - Check

4) Final hurdle IMO is Seattle getting shovel ready. Clearly looking like it is the top priority. As long as the arena is in the process of being finalized (i.e. EIS getting approved), any decision on expansion in terms of where and number of teams will be in a bit of a holding pattern. Once EIS approved, I think ...Check.

My 4 cents.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I don't think we're going to see an NHL team in Seattle anytime before the 2015-16 Season; though I of course could be wrong just as much as anyone here.

I don't see anyone saying there will be a team before 15-16. Its not even really feasible to have it before then.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And saying that Seattle is #1 is one of the surest bets that McKenzie or anyone can make. Anyone and their seeing-eye dog could imagine that Seattle as an expansion option would be an obvious consideration for the NHL. But exactly when is that going to happen? I don't think we're going to see an NHL team in Seattle anytime before the 2015-16 Season; though I of course could be wrong just as much as anyone here.

I think the rumors put 2015-16 as the earliest a NHL expansion team in Seattle could begin playing. Its obviously that it won't happen for 14-15 season.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I don't see anyone saying there will be a team before 15-16. Its not even really feasible to have it before then.

And at the time of the original realignment decision, Seattle wasn't really even in the discussion then.

Expansion will happen when it happens; the League isn't on any fast track to have it happen, with exception to possibly thinking that if Seattle is an available option that perhaps the League should jump on it.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Was anyone in 1979 suggesting that the 4-division, 21-team alignment (which was in place for twelve seasons) was "proof" that NHL expansion to 24/28 teams was imminent?

Maybe the 16/14 split is there because they wanted a 16/14 split.

With the lack of the internet, it's quite possible that many thought there would be expansion.

RandR

May 15, 2011
And to say Bettman wants Seattle is to make baseless assumptions. He hasn't said or done anything to that end for anyone and won't until decisions have been made behind the scenes. And those decisions won't come to light until it actually happens which they are not really close to yet right now.

Yeah...rumors and interest but that's all it is right now.

Even off of that, it is a baseless assumption. Saying we'll give them serious consideration is what they've said about any general inquiry regarding a location for possible relocation or expansion. That line about we always listen and get calls for it all the time.
Aside from what McKenzie has said this week, during the Phoenix saga this past summer commentators on both the CBC and Sportsnet reported on air that Seattle was plan B if a deal couldn't be made to keep the Coyotes in Glendale. John Shannon, who previously was an executive VP under Bettman in the NHL head office, even went as far as saying that Seattle was the "only" option being talked about in league circles if the Coyotes were to relocate.

Of course, that doesn't mean that things can't change as events unfold and the arena situation in Seattle isn't finalized yet, but it is far more than a "baseless assumption" that Seattle is a preferred new location for an NHL franchise.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Aside from what McKenzie has said this week, during the Phoenix saga this past summer commentators on both the CBC and Sportsnet reported on air that Seattle was plan B if a deal couldn't be made to keep the Coyotes in Glendale. John Shannon, who previously was an executive VP under Bettman in the NHL head office, even went as far as saying that Seattle was the "only" option being talked about in league circles if the Coyotes were to relocate.

Of course, that doesn't mean that things can't change as events unfold and the arena situation in Seattle isn't finalized yet, but it is far more than a "baseless assumption" that Seattle is a preferred new location for an NHL franchise.

With the rumors of expansion announcement aiming for summer/fall 2014 the NHL is timing itself to make that announcement as soon as the seattle arena gets final approval. Question remains if that means arena fill be finalized with an agreement that a NHL team will built it.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
With the rumors of expansion announcement aiming for summer/fall 2014 the NHL is timing itself to make that announcement as soon as the seattle arena gets final approval. Question remains if that means arena fill be finalized with an agreement that a NHL team will built it.

Sorry to be asking this again, but I asked it earlier (perhaps not to you) and never got an answer: But what exactly are these "rumors", who's reporting these rumors, where are they coming from? Is there a link regarding these rumors?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Sorry to be asking this again, but I asked it earlier (perhaps not to you) and never got an answer: But what exactly are these "rumors", who's reporting these rumors, where are they coming from?

Bob Mckenzie He was the one that mention that expansion will happen summer/fall 2014 with team or teams begin playing 15-16 season. Seattle will be one of the expansions.

As superdelxue mention

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Sorry to be asking this again, but I asked it earlier (perhaps not to you) and never got an answer: But what exactly are these "rumors", who's reporting these rumors, where are they coming from? Is there a link regarding these rumors?

This is the link from McKeznie via Insider Trading on Nov. 27

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=437611

Commissioner Gary Bettman talked about expansion and said nothing was imminent. What is happening?

McKenzie: Bettman said there was no formal process in place but you have to believe there may be an informal process that is in the works. We know the NHL wants to get to 32 teams, the question is when it could happen. The absolute earliest you could add teams to the NHL would be the 2015-2016 season, just less than two years away. The league needs a one-year lead time on that, therefore if anything is happening, it will escalate over the next ten months.

Which takes in around the time of the EIS approval if it all goes according to plan

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Bob Mckenzie He was the one that mention that expansion will happen summer/fall 2014 with team or teams begin playing 15-16 season. Seattle will be one of the expansions.

As superdelxue mention

Well, I respect Bob a whole lot, but he also seems to make it very clear in that commentary that it's his own speculation. Now, that fact that McKenzie is making that speculation does count for something, but I would not at all call it a "rumor" about expansion and when it's going to be announced. He just seems to be stating what's on the minds of a lot of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad