Calgary city council approves arena deal (UPD: new deal upcoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The argument isn't whether a new arena increases the Flames revenue. The argument is who should pay for the arena so to the Flames can increase their revenue.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
They need a new arena, but they also need a new practice facility and more ice sheets in Calgary. There is land available in many areas. Waiting for a favourable decision from IOC is testing your fate.

IF the Flames owned a practice facility with 3-4 ice sheets, they would make a killing on ice rental alone. There is only 12 sheets in a city of 1.5 million that is growing towards 2 million. I don't know why they aren't starting with this.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
They need a new arena, but they also need a new practice facility and more ice sheets in Calgary. There is land available in many areas. Waiting for a favourable decision from IOC is testing your fate.

IF the Flames owned a practice facility with 3-4 ice sheets, they would make a killing on ice rental alone. There is only 12 sheets in a city of 1.5 million that is growing towards 2 million. I don't know why they aren't starting with this.

Probably because they would have to build it, and pay for it, themselves, perhaps????

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
There is a good chance that the Flames could get a new arena for nothing since Calgary is the front runner to host the 2026 winter Olympics

I think we all know that will happen just like it did with the Saddledome. The Flames won't have to pay a penny towards a new facility.

:jets

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005

What the H-E-double-hockey-sticks are you talking about? 12? I can think at least a couple dozen indoor sheets alone: the Saddledome, the Corral, four up at Winsport, two at Max Bell, Father David Bauer, Norma Bush, Murray Copot, Optimist, George Blundun, Rose Kohn, Jimmy Condon, Stu Peppard, Shouldice, two at Village Square, three at Flames Community Arenas, Frank McCool, Ernie Starr, Thorncliffe, Brentwood, Triwood, Frank McCool, [oops, counted ol' Ulcers twice, lol] Ed Whalen, Joseph Kryczka... That's 30 29, and I'm sure I'm forgetting at least a couple City-managed rinks and more community-owned ones.

EDIT: Just remembered the new ones at Great Plains and the one at Rocky Ridge.

EDIT2: And a couple new ones opening at Seton next year!

Last edited:
Reactions: Price is Wright

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
No new arena in $5.23-billion plan to host the 2026 Olympics

At least not at this time.

Current plans re: hockey is a revamped Saddledome and a new 5-6K arena near McMahon Stadium which will also be upgraded.

No plans to put the hockey in Edmonton though Rogers Place could be used for Curling

Caveat exists to include a new NHL caliber arena in the plans which will 'enhance' the bid so that door is still open.

City council scheduled to vote later today to move forward...or kill the bid.....before a plebiscite on November 13 to come.....so the door could close again.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Reactions: NorthCoast

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Economic benefits of Calgary 2026 Olympic Games 'absolutely overstated,' say 2 economists | CBC News

Trevor Tombe says the actual cost of hosting the Games will almost certainly exceed the $5.2 billion announced Tuesday. And, the $7.4 billion in projected economic benefits, he says, have "absolutely" been overstated.

"We shouldn't be under the impression the economic gains exceed the spending on the Olympics, which was the claim made by the bid corporation," said Tombe.

every Olympics since the 1960s have exceeded their original cost estimates

Reactions: mouser

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The entire Olympic structure is corrupt from top to bottom.

It is a disgrace.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Olympics just keep getting bigger and more expensive.

At this rate, this should just create two permanent Olympic sites and just have countries rotate hosting duties.

(Of course, the site countries will have access to the facilities 24/7) ;)

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I thought that the Olympics would have gotten the Flames a new arena but that does not happen here. Hopefully the city say no. This idiot mayor of Calgary says "no public money for the new Flames arena" but he is ok pissing away billions to the corrupt IOC.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Never heard him talk that way about his beloved Islanders. Just scheming.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The rhetoric is exactly the same, because each team has an owner and he's always with the owner getting the most handouts from cities.

The only deviation Bettman has made from the NHL (and every league's) M.O. is not putting a team in Quebec (yet. But I think that's coming soon, after Seattle).

Bettman has always operated exactly the same way. And it makes no difference whether or not it's USA or Canada. He's learned to execute the strategy better, which is why every market has caved for a new arena since Hartford (USA) and Winnipeg (CAN). It's not Canada vs USA, it's maximizing revenue streams for his owners. Period.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Strangely Bettman was very positive about Ottawa, when Melnyk was trying to negotiate his deal. Not threatening at all. Maybe because he would rather have the team there than in Quebec. Quebec is the one city that does not need the NHL to forge a hockey identity. Still deserves a team though.

Remember that Bettman's words are about creating a united front of "The Team and Their Fans" vs "The Politicians who aren't willing to keep your team." That way the fans pressure the politicians and it becomes political suicide to oppose a new arena, and the owner gets what they want.

The Senators fans are pretty pissed at Melnyk. Bettman claiming the league is committed to Ottawa (and the team isn't for sale) is a message of "Don't worry, Sens fans, Melnyk isn't going anywhere and together we can get a new arena." (aka "join our side").

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Economic benefits of Calgary 2026 Olympic Games 'absolutely overstated,' say 2 economists | CBC News

Trevor Tombe says the actual cost of hosting the Games will almost certainly exceed the $5.2 billion announced Tuesday. And, the $7.4 billion in projected economic benefits, he says, have "absolutely" been overstated.

"We shouldn't be under the impression the economic gains exceed the spending on the Olympics, which was the claim made by the bid corporation," said Tombe.

every Olympics since the 1960s have exceeded their original cost estimates
Does Calgary have most of the infrastructures in place, like LA and Paris?

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Does Calgary have most of the infrastructures in place, like LA and Paris?

Most of the venues from the 1988 Olympics are still operational, the notable exceptions being the ski jumps at Canada Olympic Park and the Stampede Corral arena, which was used as the secondary hockey venue. By the mid-1990s the ski jumps were defunct and haven't been used since. The Corral has only been used only sporadically for hockey and other ice events in the last 20ish years, and the building will be 76 years old in 2026.

The plan is to build a new 5,000-to-6,000-seat arena near McMahon Stadium (the football stadium that hosted the opening and closing ceremonies in 1988, and would be used for the same in 2026), a new "fieldhouse" for figure skating and other events, and otherwise refurbishing the existing venues (the Saddledome, the Olympic Oval, etc.) for re-use in 2026. Ski jumping would be hosted at Whistler, BC, at the facilities used in the 2010 Olympics; there's no point in building new jumps in Calgary or in the Alberta Rockies.

As others will no doubt surmise I am strongly against hosting the Olympics; it's a stupider waste of money than gifting the Flames a new arena, and I'm vehemently against that. The "economic benefits" are a number plucked from thin air.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Francis' take on the latest.

New arena for Flames an issue for team and city, not Olympic bid group - Sportsnet.ca

Despite his best attempt to say that Calgary Next would have cost the same as the current plan (Olympics don't have to cost in the West Village remediation), he is correct that the new arena is not an issue the Olympic team has to deal with.

Will agree with if Calgary wins the bid, there will be more pressure to get an arena deal done. Hosting the games without a new building makes the optics much worse. For now, the arena cannot be tethered to the games. What happens if the feds and province don't come through with funding? What happens if the Plebiscite bombs? What happens if the IOC picks another host?

There's lots of room for the draft to change and insert the arena in the final plan. Even Nenshi doesn't think the 5-6K arena in needed if a deal with CSES happens. Other dominos will need to fall first.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The rhetoric is exactly the same, because each team has an owner and he's always with the owner getting the most handouts from cities.

The only deviation Bettman has made from the NHL (and every league's) M.O. is not putting a team in Quebec (yet. But I think that's coming soon, after Seattle).

Bettman has always operated exactly the same way. And it makes no difference whether or not it's USA or Canada. He's learned to execute the strategy better, which is why every market has caved for a new arena since Hartford (USA) and Winnipeg (CAN). It's not Canada vs USA, it's maximizing revenue streams for his owners. Period.
Not all owners do this. Boston Bruins owner owns his arena and the old garden land. Minimal city involvement. I’m sure there are others. They should tell him to go to the bank and get a loan like the rest of us schmucks do when we need a car or house. I’m sure the banks will let a billionaire borrow money.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not all owners do this. Boston Bruins owner owns his arena and the old garden land. Minimal city involvement. I’m sure there are others. They should tell him to go to the bank and get a loan like the rest of us schmucks do when we need a car or house. I’m sure the banks will let a billionaire borrow money.
Eh, I get the point, for sure.

However, getting the real estate in a part of the city that makes sense for an arena that benefits the entire city will almost always require some public help. Especially since most of those spots are in downtown areas. Once you start making owners finance their own stuff completely, you'll see a lot more arenas in suburban areas surrounding by parking, and we've seen that this scenario isn't really great for anyone involved.

There's a gray area space in the middle of 100% private and 100% public that most places can find and make work. Places where the facility is centrally located and the downtown businesses and governments can benefit as well as the teams and owners is optimal, and will almost always require public monetary participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad