Bettman: Reduce Number of Divisions

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by hydromel, Dec 22, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. hydromel

hydromel Registered User

Holy Moly:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189350&hubname=nhl

In the East:
    Division 1 - 7 teams
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Toronto
    Buffalo
    Boston
    Pittsburgh
    Washington (?)

Division 2 - 8 teams
    New York Rangers
    New York Islanders
    NJ
    Philadelphia
    Tampa
    Atlanta
    Florida
    Carolina

In the West:
    Division 1 - 8 teams
    Vancouver
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Anaheim
    LA
    San Jose
    Colorado
    Phoenix

Division 2 - 7 teams
    Chicago
    Columbus
    Detroit
    Nashville
    St. Louis
    Dallas
    Minnesota

2. Drewr15

Drewr15 Registered User

I kind of like it. Now if we can just call them Patrick, Norris, Adams and Smythe again I'll love it.

3. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    Kinda sets the foundations for the eventual expansion to 32 whenever that becomes feasible too.

4. hydromel

hydromel Registered User

that'd be cool.

i tend to like it as well. it will make it tougher/more competetive to get those top seed spots.

5. guinness

guinness swedish milkmaid

Home Page:
    That actually makes a bit of sense, now they just need to balance the schedule.

6. HSHS

HSHS Losing is a disease

I like it too as a hockey fan. I also agree about the future expansion to 32 teams, which I always thought would happen in ~10 yrs.

However, as a Caps fan, all this does is screw us again with each realignment. First we get moved out of the Patrick division. Lose our rivalries with Pitt, NYR, NYI, PHI, and NJ. We are "forced" to try to find rivalries with Car, Atl, FLA, and Tampa.

Now this proposal would completely shift another set of "rivalries" upon us. :shakehead

note: obviously the article said it could be one of the SE teams but I am going off the divisions posted.

7. Steve L*

Steve L* Registered User

Home Page:
    Precisely which probably means it wont happen.

8. weezman

weezman Guest

Anyone notice how familiar the proposal sounds? *cough* NFL *cough*

Not necessarily team location, but rather 4 divisions. Top 4 and wild cards.

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Registered User

Um, the NFL has four divisions per conference. Also, they have six teams in the playoffs with two first round byes. This would be a move away from the NFL, if anything.

10. jkrdevil

jkrdevil UnRegistered User

Well this is a step in the right direction. Althoguh I think they should get rid of conferences and just go with divisional playoffs and then reseed the division playoff champions for the Cup semi-final and Cup Final.

11. Irish Blues

Irish Blues Present once again

Actuary
    Here's how it probably shakes out as is:

Eastern Conference
    Adams Division: Montreal, Buffalo, Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, Detroit, Pittsburgh
    Patrick Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Western Conference
    Norris Division: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Columbus, St. Louis, Minnesota, Nashville
    Smythe Division: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado

If Pittsburgh moves to either Kansas City or Houston, then they go in the Norris and Columbus moves to the Adams Division. If Pittsburgh moves to say Portland, then they go in the Smythe, Colorado goes to the Norris and Columbus goes to the Adams.

Proposal for schedule
    vs. other conference: 30 games, playing 1H/1A vs. all 15 teams
    vs. other division: 16 games (if 7-team division) or 14 games (if 8-team division), playing 1H/1A vs. everyone
    vs. own division: 36 games (if 7-team division with 3H/3A vs. one team, 2H/3A vs. 3 teams, 3H/2A vs. 3 teams) or 38 (if 8-team division with 3H/2A vs. 3 teams, 2H/3A vs. 3 teams, 2H/2A vs. 2 teams)

The H/A thing gets slowly rotated so that eventually the number of home/road games vs. opposing teams is evened out.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  12. ChemiseBleuHonnete

ChemiseBleuHonnete Registered User

what about we get rid of two teams while we're at it :sarcasm:

13. itshomerdoh

itshomerdoh Registered User

I see it more like this:

Adams: Buffalo, Montreal, Washington, Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh (possibly Kitchener/Waterloo), Ottawa

Patrick: Atlanta, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida, Philadephia

Smythe: Anaheim, San Jose, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, LA, Phoenix

Norris: Nashville, Detroit, Dallas, Minnesota, Colorado, Chicago, Columbus, St. Louis

Washington gets jammed into the Adams because they need a 7th team, and the league likely wants to keep the NY teams (+ Philly) together, as well as the SE group. Colorado can go in either the Smythe or Norris, which ever they prefer.

14. Irish Blues

Actuary
    Yeah ... when MLB kicks out 2 of the Devil Rays, Royals, Marlins, and Pirates we'll talk.

15. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    I'd actually like them to do this, but scrap the seeding program, and run divisional playoffs instead. Yeah, it makes things difficult for teams in a tough division, but, that's the breaks. It makes divisional rivalries mean that much more.

16. WalterSobchak

WalterSobchak Blues Trololol

Don't Judge Us
    Home Page:
    I know the Red Wings were "promised" first rights to move from the West to the East but I think thats simply irresponsible.

IB I am a little confused, in your original proposition you have Detroit in the Adams, but state if Pittsburgh moves they will go to the Adams. Also I don't see how a team like Atlanta belongs in the West over Detroit. In your proposal Minny to Atlanta is roughly 1120 miles.

Teams who belong in the East over Detroit (who I think should get priority)
    1. Dallas - they are geographically closer to Florida, TB, Atlanta than San Jose, Anaheim, Vancouver. By far.
    2. Nashville - again closer to Eastern Southern teams. I know those aren't "traditional" markets.
    3. Columbus.

I think no matter what the NHL has got to try and add 2 teams in the North West. Right now Van, Cal and Edm are off in no mans land. If Pittsburgh relocates west, and 2 potential expansion teams open up in the west that will lead to 3 teams moving to the east. Even then I think there is no merit to moving Detroit to the East. People argue tradition dictates it but the NHL is already guilty of too much backwards thinking. It's time to be progressive.

The best cities, geographically, for Pittsburgh (if the move...hopefully they don't) and 2 expansion cities are in the west.

17. Irish Blues

Actuary
    It makes no sense to pull Washington into a division that would see the other 6 teams grouped together while the Caps are in between New York/Philadelphia and Carolina/Florida/Tampa Bay. Besides, your assignment assumed the Pens will go to Southern Ontario, which I think is a shaky proposition seeing as how there's no legitimate NHL arena present, no plans for such an arena at the moment, and a likely fight by Toronto if such a move was proposed.

Geographically, it makes *much* more sense to shift Atlanta to the Norris and either Detroit or Columbus to the Adams. (Actually, it makes more sense to put Boston in the Patrick, but that will never happen because the league won't split up the Bruins and Canadiens and because allocating the rest of the teams geographically becomes *much* tougher.)

18. Irish Blues

Actuary
    I fixed that while you were posting. :D

Edmonton to Phoenix is 1875 miles; Vancouver to Los Angeles is 1285 miles; New York to Miami is 1294 miles; Dallas to Minneapolis is 998 miles. No matter how you group teams, someone is going to have a long haul to another city in their division - so the key is to group them by time zone as closely as possible, and even this can't be done perfectly.

The other option would be to group teams so that every division has someone on the East Coast and the West Coast and everyone has to go back and forth across the continent - but there's at least 10 teams (mostly in the East) who would shoot down this idea.

We've also has the "should the NHL expand?" argument; unless you really want to dilute the talent pool some more, it makes no sense to add another 2 teams just to balance out divisions.

19. sparr0w

sparr0w Registered User

Because Atlanta is further West than Detroit (and Columbus for that matter)?

20. WalterSobchak

Don't Judge Us
    Home Page:
    Eastern
    Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, New Jersey, Rangers, Islanders
    Florida, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Carolina, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh. Washington

Western
    Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix
    Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Columbus, Minnesota, Colorado, Nashville, Dallas

If Pittsburgh moves to KC, NHL expands to Seattle and Portland (or some combination thereof)

Eastern
    Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, New Jersey, Rangers, Islanders
    Florida, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Carolina, Philadelphia, Washington, Columbus, Nashville

Western
    Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Seattle, Portland,
    Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota, Colorado, Phoenix, Kansas City

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  21. WalterSobchak

Don't Judge Us
    Home Page:
    hey, does anyone want to discuss my ideas on a Northern versus Southern Conference idea?
    :teach:

22. WalterSobchak

Don't Judge Us
    Home Page:
    Sure. My division is based alot more on Geograpy in relation to nearest franchises vs. pure Geography.

23. itshomerdoh

itshomerdoh Registered User

Yeah I just re-did a 2nd version and came up with this alignment exactly.

24. sparr0w

sparr0w Registered User

And Atlanta is closer to Nashville, St. Louis, Dallas, etc... than Detroit is. With Detroit being closer to most of the Eastern conference teams barring Carolina and the two Florida teams than Atlanta is.

25. Irish Blues

Actuary
    Leave Colorado out with the West Coast teams - otherwise you have a division that spans 3 time zones; Edmonton and Calgary are already in the Mountain Time Zone, leave Colorado with them. Otherwise, ... that's actually pretty good.