Bettman Pulling out ANYTHING to make Union look bad.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
When asked in a television interview if he thought commissioner Gary Bettman was the right man to run the NHL, Ted Saskin said: ''Not from what I've seen so far.''

Saskin was also asked if the players respected Bettman, to which he responded ''Certainly not now.''

Alright notice he was ASKED..right? Was he suppose to lie and say "Yes he is doing a VERY good job and the players are in FULL support" BUT YET Bettman states after hearing those comment:
''We're finally getting to the stage where the union is resorting to personal attacks, a very common practice in collective bargaining when a union isn't getting what it wants,'' said Bettman. ''It sounds to me like the union's rhetoric is getting desperate. If that brings us closer to a deal then it will be constructive. I don't mind being the whipping boy as long as we get to the right result.''

WHAT AN IDIOT!! Where are the "PERSONAL ATTACKS" Does ANYBODY see them?? Because i sure dont..just ANOTHER attempt by Bettman to TRY To make the Union look bad. This guy is a joke.

EDit- Oops forgot to give the link :o http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=106594&hubName=nhl

Last edited:

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Alright notice he was ASKED..right? Was he suppose to lie and say "Yes he is doing a VERY good job and the players are in FULL support" BUT YET Bettman states after hearing those comment:

WHAT AN IDIOT!! Where are the "PERSONAL ATTACKS" Does ANYBODY see them?? Because i sure dont..just ANOTHER attempt by Bettman to TRY To make the Union look bad. This guy is a joke.

EDit- Oops forgot to give the link :o http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=106594&hubName=nhl

your anti-nhl views have been expressed 10000000 times over and you're letting it take over to the point it's almost comical now.

whether saskin's comments could be considered an attack or not isn't relevant. the fact that the comments spoken were directed at bettman is enough.

edit: if you were saskin you would have said the same thing because you're employed by the union. i can guarantee that if saskin worked for the league and was asked those same questions about goodenow that his answers would have been the same.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ted Saskin is the Joke! Knob Goodenow is the joke... Gary, well he has become a joke also for some of what he has done to the league(too much expansion) But for the lead negotiator for the PA to say this... it only makes the players look worse than they already do!

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
FLYLine4LIFE said:

I detect a slight bit of bias towards the NHLPA. Only someone so brain washed by Goodenow's propoganda can turn this around on Bettman. By Saskin basically saying he's not the right man for the job, in turn means he's incompetent. If Saskin had any class, he could have said I'm in no position to comment on that, simple as that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
garry1221 said:
whether saskin's comments could be considered an attack or not isn't relevant. the fact that the comments spoken were directed at bettman is enough.

BECAUSE HE WAS ASKED THE QUESTION ON BETTMAN! Of course it would be DIRECTED to bettman. Its obvious your ANTI-Players...another Bettman Lemming.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
kerrly said:
I detect a slight bit of bias towards the NHLPA. Only someone so brain washed by Goodenow's propoganda can turn this around on Bettman. By Saskin basically saying he's not the right man for the job, in turn means he's incompetent. If Saskin had any class, he could have said I'm in no position to comment on that, simple as that.

Please you can say that Bettmans comments back are just as personal for him blowing them WAY out of proportion...and being PERSONAL towards the union as a whole.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Please you can say that Bettmans comments back are just as personal for him blowing them WAY out of proportion...and being PERSONAL towards the union as a whole.

Grow up, can't you see that you're acting like a little kid here. WHO CARES?

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
BECAUSE HE WAS ASKED THE QUESTION ON BETTMAN! Of course it would be DIRECTED to bettman. Its obvious your ANTI-Players...another Bettman Lemming.

if you'd look back at some of my latest posts you'd see i'm not anti player, simply more pro owner. fact is that most of us who've been posting on this board aren't wasting our time being completely bias one way or another and just want something to be done. If you want to continue posting with enough bias for the entire pro pa side then go right ahead. we all enjoy a good laugh. so please, by all means, we need a little more humor from the goodenow clowns.

edit: no personal attack, but if you classify all pro owner people as lemmings...
i know i can't speak for everyone, but i guarantee that 99% of the pro owner posters here wouldn't be stupid enough to run off a cliff, so there goes your lemmings theory.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Heres a newsflash, Flyline, in case you hadn't noticed:

Bettman doesnt have to do SQUAT to make the NHLPA look bad.. they've done more than enough damage to their image in the past few months than Bettman or anyone else could have ever done.

The overwhelming majority supports the owners and want a cap.

Screw the NHLPA. Let 'em rot in Europe.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
If Saskin had any class, he could have said I'm in no position to comment on that, simple as that.
My thoughts exactly.

Bettman doesnt have to do SQUAT to make the NHLPA look bad.. they've done more than enough damage to their image in the past few months than Bettman or anyone else could have ever done.
Every time someone connected to the Nhlpa makes a statement to the press the give the Nhl free PR.

The new Hockey News was delivered today. I hope the players are reading it. In a readers poll 71.4% of readers said that they are prepared to watch replacement players.

They also make a statement in the "Snapshots" section:
Locked-out NHLers should seriously be concerned that less-talented replacement players might actually offer a more entertaining product.
I have to agree with the quote. To cure our lockout blues a group of Sharks fans have been attending Div II San Jose State Spartans Hockey games. They are great! A lot more scoring, hitting, and all around action. Althought we are all Sharks season ticket holders, when the NHL does resume we will continue to support Spartan hockey.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
BLONG7 said:
Ted Saskin is the Joke! Knob Goodenow is the joke... Gary, well he has become a joke also for some of what he has done to the league(too much expansion) But for the lead negotiator for the PA to say this... it only makes the players look worse than they already do!

Hate to tell you, but the players are hardly looking bad. Bettman has resorted to lying to the public such as saying that Oilers and Flames fans are not able to expect their teams to make the playoffs when the Flames were a no-goal away from winning it.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
A lot of empty seats at the Baby Sens - Baby Leafs game from the ACC im watching on tv right now. Muckler, Quinn, Burke, TSN all there. But not a lot of fans.

Bettman shuts down the league, is clearly lieing to fans and players, attemtping to extort them. To say the players have lost respect for him and think he's the wrong man for the job, hardly sounds like a personal attack. A personal attack would be calling him a slimey, lying, arrogant, shylock who is ruining the game for his pound of flesh. What Saskin said seems quite normal, true, and honest to me. Pretty thin skin there Gary. Oh right, I forgot, right, just another one of those media lies. Not to worry.

Last edited:

A Good Flying Bird*

BLONG7Knob Goodenow is the joke... [/QUOTE said:
Knob! Knob Goodenow!
That's so funny.
I love it. I'll be laughing for the next 18 months of Gary Bettman's lockout.

ILUVTHISGAME

May 10, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Is there any way that Bettman can get fired?
Seriously, if you'd performed as badly as he has in the last 10 years at your job, wouldn't you have been canned by now?
I believe that it all comes down to the owners' self-control and not over-spending on any one player. Like anyone is going to say, 'No thank you, I don't want the 10 Mil you've offered me' , more likely it'll be, 'Where do I sign?'
Shouldn't the Commissioner have some control over the owners' spending habits? Bettman seems to have let things run amok, and now expects to get his own way no matter what. He will destroy the NHL.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Hate to tell you, but the players are hardly looking bad.

Um, hate to tell YOU, but youre living in a dream world if you seriously believe that. The majority of Canada and most NHL fans by a HUGE HUGE margin, proven over and over again in polls everywhere, support the owners and are squarely behind a salary cap.

Wake up, the players have NEVER looked so bad. :joker:

YellHockey*

kerrly said:

What makes anyone think that Bettman is competant? If the NHL is in such dire financial trouble and Bettman has been running the league, why would anyone think he's the right man for the job?

Bettman thinks that its a personal attack when he's run the league into the ground and someone thinks he's not the right man to run the league?

Why would Saskin not comment on Bettman? Bettman is the reason the league isn't playing right now. He's done a crappy job. Everyone knows that.

People on here have no problem dumping on players and coaches. They don't think they're the right people for their jobs many times. Do those posters all lack class?

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
BlackRedGold said:
What makes anyone think that Bettman is competant? If the NHL is in such dire financial trouble and Bettman has been running the league, why would anyone think he's the right man for the job?

Bettman thinks that its a personal attack when he's run the league into the ground and someone thinks he's not the right man to run the league?

Why would Saskin not comment on Bettman? Bettman is the reason the league isn't playing right now. He's done a crappy job. Everyone knows that.

People on here have no problem dumping on players and coaches. They don't think they're the right people for their jobs many times. Do those posters all lack class?

Nowhere did I say I thought that Bettman has done a great job. Personally I think he has done anything but a good job.

As of right now, all I'm for is the league being as healthy as possible coming out of this CBA as it can be. Thats why I support the owners. It doesn't take a genious that both sides are to blame for the mess we are in. But as far as I can see is that only one side is truely in it for the betterment of the game. The NHLPA's proposals are laughable at best. They do nothing to solve the major problems of the league.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:

There is a difference between being professional and typing unidentified on a message board. Saskin could have done a better job but if belittling Bettman makes Saskin feel better than i guess that is his choice. What miracles has Saskin performed to solve the problem? He is barking in the media- that will get it done.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The NHLPAs framework works to solve the REAL problems, not the lies that Bettman and the owners have attempted to brainwash us with. You know, the ones like:
- Ottawa went bankrupt proving salary changes are needed.
- That Ottawa as a small market cannot compete.
- Especially with the Canadian dollar.
- That Edmonton and Calgary cant compete or make money, and it is because of salaries not the dollar.
- The one that says that St Louis can sign away Macinnis and Weight and Tkachuk, and thats why they are so much closer to a cup than Calgary.
- That under a cap, Calgary will never go 7 years missing the playoffs again. Or they could, but you cant blame it on money.
- That 30 equal teams each year can happen while you never lose your players but can sign any free agent
- That all teams will stay if the owners get their cap. Even under the owners proposals, there will be teams in the same trouble.
- That the owners are simply looking out for the good of the game. Ha ha ha.
- That Goodenows goal is to destroy the league, because this is his agendam, and he has fooled the players into believing it.

You know, garbage like this.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
thinkwild said:
The NHLPAs framework works to solve the REAL problems, not the lies that Bettman and the owners have attempted to brainwash us with. You know, the ones like:
- Ottawa went bankrupt proving salary changes are needed.
- That Ottawa as a small market cannot compete.
- Especially with the Canadian dollar.
- That Edmonton and Calgary cant compete or make money, and it is because of salaries not the dollar.
- The one that says that St Louis can sign away Macinnis and Weight and Tkachuk, and thats why they are so much closer to a cup than Calgary.
- That under a cap, Calgary will never go 7 years missing the playoffs again. Or they could, but you cant blame it on money.
- That 30 equal teams each year can happen while you never lose your players but can sign any free agent
- That all teams will stay if the owners get their cap. Even under the owners proposals, there will be teams in the same trouble.
- That the owners are simply looking out for the good of the game. Ha ha ha.
- That Goodenows goal is to destroy the league, because this is his agendam, and he has fooled the players into believing it.

You know, garbage like this.
Rhetoric comes out of both sides. You are not looking at the big picture of what a level playing field really is. You can have many things go right in a small market and still miss the playoffs. You can on occasion have the stars align just right and have a couple of playoff runs at best. Over time, clubs with less resources run out of luck and it can put them in a five year rut. A salary cap will not cure the entire game, that seems to be beyond Bettman's reach. I hope he stays long enough to bring some sense to the financial side.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
no13matssundin said:
Um, hate to tell YOU, but youre living in a dream world if you seriously believe that. The majority of Canada and most NHL fans by a HUGE HUGE margin, proven over and over again in polls everywhere, support the owners and are squarely behind a salary cap.

Wake up, the players have NEVER looked so bad. :joker:

yes because ALL of canadian media that i can see here in the States is PRO-OWNER...so they are feeding you all and pro-ownership details...favoring the owners...Rightfully so I GUESS because of the small salary teams up there would favor this HARD CAP..but i guess they dont think you can make a decision for yourself...so they pretty much do it for you. This is way the majority of canada is pro owners. Go check out TSN, or Sportsnet Both are HIGHLY pro-ownership. Its amussing really.

Im not sure how news is run up there but here in the States its unbiased.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
kerrly said:
The NHLPA's proposals are laughable at best. They do nothing to solve the major problems of the league.

And what about Bettmans hard cap..you dont find that laughable at best? I find both offers laughable BUT that has to be the starting ground...you work from there...but Bettman will not move. Someone needs to give him a swift kick in the rear.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
yes because ALL of canadian media that i can see here in the States is PRO-OWNER...so they are feeding you all and pro-ownership details...favoring the owners...Rightfully so I GUESS because of the small salary teams up there would favor this HARD CAP..but i guess they dont think you can make a decision for yourself...so they pretty much do it for you. This is way the majority of canada is pro owners. Go check out TSN, or Sportsnet Both are HIGHLY pro-ownership. Its amussing really.
Amusing indeed. Hopefully you will be here to entertain us all week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad